Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Local printer is not found; when printing from Okular, Okular will sometimes freeze completely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local printer is not found; when printing from Okular, Okular will sometimes freeze completely

This is a repost from the KDE bugs forum, I was told by a dev my issue would be better resolved upstream. Here is my original post:

I went to print an assignment from Okular as I normally do (and as has normally worked) when nothing happened. I tried reoponing the print option when I noticed Okular was unresponsive. Printers said it was unable to locate the printer (a printer that I've printed from countless times on this OS). I tried removing the printer and adding it back, using both driverless and hpcups, and neither time did anything happen. Kubuntu obviously detects it, because it finds it on my network, but then it can't do anything with it.

Furthermore, on a reboot, I saw a quick error saying something along the lines of "Unable to load codecs (-22)," the exact wording escapes me, but I'm sure of the negative error number in parantheses, as well as the fact that "codecs" was explicitly mentioned.

Here's my system information:
    KDE Plasma 5.24.7
    KDE Frameworks: 5.92.0
    Qt: 5.15.3
    Kernel: 6.2.0-35 generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11
    Kubuntu version: 22.04.3 LTS x86_64

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
    1. Try and print a document from Okular

OBSERVED RESULT
    Printer is stated to be unreachable, and/or Okular freezes completely.

EXPECTED RESULT
    The document prints​

I should also note, however, that I attempted to print something from the HPSmart app on my phone, and also ran into trouble, so it is possible it's an issue with the printer itself. I did add the printer a second time using a second driver on Kubuntu, and I'm not sure if maybe this could have changed aspects of the printer itself, but since I'm not positive, I thought to mention it here to people more qualified than I. Plus, I'd also love to know what that codec bug was all about.

A final note: I'm completely new to this forum, do the devs participate here like the KDE devs do on the bugs page? I just wanna make sure I'm participating here in the most appropriate way possible! Thank you in advance for any responses.

Who makes your printer? What model? Have you tried booting to a LiveUSB of Kubuntu and trying to print there? If, not, please give it a try. IF printing works from a LiveUSB with your printer, then the problem lies somewhere within your installed Kubuntu, and that is something that most certainly can be tracked down.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Who makes your printer? What model? Have you tried booting to a LiveUSB of Kubuntu and trying to print there? If, not, please give it a try. IF printing works from a LiveUSB with your printer, then the problem lies somewhere within your installed Kubuntu, and that is something that most certainly can be tracked down.
      I’m using a Hewlett-Packard Deskjet 3630; I’ll have to try a live boot when I’m back home.

And more info on that codec thing, it’s on SHUTDOWN that the error appears, not reboot. It also says something about Bluetooth on that error, and perhaps relatedly, I can no longer connect to my (university) internet. Getting some kernel notifications in KSystemLog and an error saying that it failed to start Network Manager Wait Online.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum.

Originally posted by Domojestic View Post
        This is a repost from the KDE bugs forum, I was told by a dev my issue would be better resolved upstream.
        While we appreciate the compliment this is not "upstream", this is a user forum. A couple devs float through here occasionally, but this is not their home. That not withstanding and someone here may in fact be able to help, but IMO "upstream" usually means developers on the particular application or functionality you're having trouble with. I'm not trying to discourage you from attempting to get help here, just wanted it to be clear we're not developers. The comment you received from a "dev" is more likely in indication that they aren't the developer you should be talking to.

As far as the issue at hand, it seems as though you're having several problems and may be blending them together as though they are related when they maybe not. AFAIK, a "codec" is used to compress and/or stream video/audio so seems likely not related to printing from Okular. I also don't see how bluetooth or your University internet connection have anything to do with Okular or this issue - unless your printer is connected via bluetooth or the University internet. If the printer prints from other applications, it's likely not the printer. It nothing prints on the printer, it's likely not Okular. So is it both or one or the other of these issues? Or something else?

Try and provide more very specific details about this issue - connections, hardware models, programs used, etc...

...and feel free to open other threads on the forum regarding your other problems/questions.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X