Disk error-unable to recover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CharlieDaves View Post
    Thanks to all, but after a weeks of trying to recover, many different approaches, I've had enough. Most forums state that once you screw up guid it's stuffed for good.
    I don't know why, but makes me want to return to NTFS days

Final question
    Without using clonezilla, how else does someone "backup" a Drive, considering we are getting into double digit TeraByte Sized Drives ??
    How to you back up these superblocks (and an actual explanation on what the heck they actually are PLEASE)
    What about the backup location of the GPT GUID tables? MBR Tables?
    Is there an easy script file I can run when I shut down my PC once per week?
    Thanks
    NTFS has a world of hurts.
    Clonezilla's days are passed if you don't use EXT4, which I no longer recommend. Unless you are running a really old PC using MBR installs isn't recommended because as a 32 bit system it limits the addressable disk size to 2TB and you want double digits TB disk sizes.

This morning I had an update notice about a new kernel, 6.1.0-12. I did the usual. Dkms is used to compile a *.ko driver for my wifi chip. It automatically runs when ever there is a kernel update. This morning the update failed because of a problem with configuring the header, which left my ability to add or remove apps in the repository broken. It's not wise to run when you can not add or remove apps that are in the repository, or do automatic updates.

What did I do? I sudo'd to root, "mount /dev/sda3 to /mnt, then "mv /mnt/@rootfs to /mnt/@old" and then "btrfs su snapshot /mnt/snapshots/@202309091922 /mnt/@rootfs" and then rebooted. Took about a minute, and here I am answering your question about how to recover from a broken system.

So, obviously, my recommendation to you is to use BTRFS as your root filesystem. I've been using it since 2016 and have not had a single hiccup with it. It defaults to its std compression. My SSD is 495GB and part is used for a swap file.
    btrfs fi usage /
    reports:
    Device size: 463.62GiB
    Device allocated: 219.07GiB
    Device unallocated: 244.55GiB
    Device missing: 0.00B
    Device slack: 0.00B
    Used: 191.24GiB
    Free (estimated): 270.17GiB

As you can see, BTRFS uses 463GB, of which 219GB is allocated and of that amount only 191GB is currently being used. What that doesn't show is that I have a daily copy of my system for the last week also on that drive. Each copy is about 112GB. So, about "560GB" of files is on an SSD that is only 463GB. It's magic, I tell you! Actually, it is compression, which has next to no effect on my system speed. I boot up in about 10 seconds and I rarely have to wait on my system.

My system has 16GB of RAM, an i5 Intel CPU and an Intel Iris Xe GPU. It runs GaiaSky beautifully (as well as UniverseSandbox^2) so BTRFS speed is not a problem, and that is generally the case on person PC's. Servers can be tuned for even higher performance.

So, use GPT for formatting your HDs and BTRFS for your filesystem, and stop all the nonsense about hardcoding partitions in your drive and then finding out later that you didn't leave enough room for root or home.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

With respect to
      Without using clonezilla, how else does someone "backup" a Drive, considering we are getting into double digit TeraByte Sized Drives ??
      use rsync or any GUI tool based on rsync.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Working...
      X