compatibility hardware check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] compatibility hardware check

Is there a way to check if a hardware item (Mouse, Keyboard, sound card) is 100% compatible with Kubuntu before purchasing ?
    A forum somewhere?
    Asking the sales clerk(If I actually believe them)?
    Posting withing this forum?
    Does hardware compatible with Ubuntu and/or KDE and/or Plasma IS compatible to use & purchase?
    Thanks

"Compatibility" isn't, IMO, a yes or no question, and different types of hardware have different considerations.

For mice, basic operation, buttons 1, 2, and 3 and movement, with connection by USB or Bluetooth can be expected to work. But gamer mice with more buttons and fancy colours may in principle only be properly controlled by a proprietary Windows-only, or Windows and Mac only, app. However, there's a widespread if fragmented community of folks that make them work on Linux. I use 3 different Logitech mice with extra buttons that work well thanks to a couple of projects, ratbag and ratslap. One of them works better in Linux than in Windows.

I suggest if you are considering buying some fancy peripheral, search for the brand and model with "linux support". If the peripheral is only just released, it can take months for someone to suss it and make it work.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Mice and keyboards generally all work fine OOTB, even wireless ones, though you may have to find extra software, as jlittle mentioned. Often these can be brand-specific. My Corsair mouse buttons can be configured using CKB-Next, including its RGB crap as well. If the device is any any way popular, it likely has an app available somewhere. You may not find it in Discover, though many will have flatpaks and/or Snaps available, if not a PPA.

If you see something you like, and it happens to be on Amazon, quite often you can search for "Linux" in the questions and reviews, to see what others report. Don't take these as gospel, though. It is a very good starting point.
      Then ask around in general Linux hangouts. I find Reddit searches can produce useful info fairly quickly, both the good and bad.

I think sound cards will be the toughest item, and will take some research. Many may lack any useful Linux support.

Asking in here is perfectly fine, of course.

Comment

And, of course, buying a PC that is made specifically for Linux and includes a Linux OS with working peripherals is always a choice. System76, Tuxedo and the dozen or so other brands make for Linux. Then there is the "roll your own" option, which I previously enjoyed doing.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

There also are websites like https://linux-hardware.org/ where you can browse or search the database for other user's experiences with specific hardware components.
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

There are gamer sites, too, you can check for specific things; or I believe ASUS continues to have good user discussions/data available to high-end gamers.
            My experience probably will not help you much: I build my own PCs, pretty much standard Intel CPU and ASUS mobo, mid-range desktops (around $800-$1200 at today's prices) and never had an issue. BUT ... I don't do anything outrageous, crazy, 'out there,' or unusual -- all pretty much standard, stock, vanilla, name-brand stuff (like Samsung, Logitech, etc.) -- no games or sexy apps.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Unless one wants/needs a “gaming” mouse, if you stick to ‘basic’ mice from known/reputable manufacturers you won’t go wrong. If you try to save money, you just might get what you pay for.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                Unless one wants/needs a “gaming” mouse, if you stick to ‘basic’ mice from known/reputable manufacturers you won’t go wrong. If you try to save money, you just might get what you pay for.
                Ummmmmm...........no?
                Except for the get what you pay part, for sure.

Many reputable and quality manufacturers sell 'gaming' mice, and even inexpensive ones. Lol, THIS one is considered a 'gaming' mouse. it does have the common shape, and light weight attributes that many have.
                I have a preference for certain shapes for these, over generic basic mice that are not comfortable at all. I don't use many of the extra buttons, mind you. And yes, I do game, using a different mouse.

I have a Logitech gaming mouse (among my small collection) that I got mainly because it fits my palm better than many, I have had a work requirement to use a wired kb and mouse, and there is no wired version of the Logitech bluetoothTriathlonM720, which fits me perfectly. And is multi-device.
                So I found a refurb Logitech G502 HERO. It isn't as 'gamey' looking in real life as the pictures might make it seem. It fits quite well. I am thinkig of switching to it as my main mouse, though I'd lose the multi-device option.
                The Logitech MX Master would be ideal - quite similar in fit to my m720, but I ain't paying those prices, even refurbished/open box, holy cow.

Not all gaming mice have 500 buttons, but most are at least attempting to be comfortable for some purpose.

tl;dr: I sure as heck ain't gunna use a plain generic and uncomfortable mouse You CAN go wrong lololol

Comment

IME, I never had a Logitech mouse (non-gaming) that lasted more than a year. For what they charge, that's total BS. After the second $70-90 Logitech died, I bought a $7.99 cheapo from Amazon. It lasted 5+ years. After a year, I bought a second one for my wife. Since then that brand has gone away and the ones for sale last I looked weren't good enough.

I've always believed that the most important parts of your PC are the parts you physically interact with. I spend the money on good monitors, keyboards, and mice because those are the things you notice the most. A 10% faster CPU or bigger drive may be nice, but that won't bug you as much as a bad device you directly interact with every day.

So then I went nuts and bought a 3DConnection CAD mouse. $120 but by far the best mouse I've ever used. 2-3 years in now and it's still flawless. Precise, comfortable, adjustable DPI, and rechargable. It also has a separate middle button instead of pushing on the wheel which I didn't know I would prefer as much as I do now. If it has any deficiencies, it's that it only has 2 side buttons. I could use 2 more.

Please Read Me

Comment

The OP did not frame the question in terms of gaming. Gaming, depending on more factors than I am qualified to comment on, is always a different question.

I've always run bone stock, out of the box hardware with Linux since I first started using Linux in the previous millennium. Name brand, standard stuff has never failed to run, in my experience. My current HP laptop with its 11th gen i7 and Iris Xe serves most excellently. The sound card may not be optimized for the onboard B&O speakers, but the attached Bose Companion speakers sound great to my old tinnitus-laden ears. Trackpad and Logitech mouse have no issues. The screen is a very good 1920x1080@60.

None of this stuff is a gamer's dream, it just works along with everything else I've ever had. But, at the risk of being repetitive, gaming is a whole other smoke. Like anything else, specify a use case, then the conversation becomes more useful
                    The next brick house on the left
                    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      IME, I never had a Logitech mouse (non-gaming) that lasted more than a year.
                      I have a smaller Logitech bluetooth mouse I keep in my laptop/tablet bag, which is over 5 years old now. It isn't a daily driver, though.

My daily driver logitech Bluetooth mouse, the m720, I purchased as a refurb about 4 years ago, after actually handling one in a store. The MX Master felt even nicer in the hand, but far too much $$, even refurbed or used.
                      That M720 died a couple of months back. Surprisingly, you can find replacement parts for it, but I decided on another refurb, as I don't solder very well.
                      I sort of agree on a *lot* of Logittech's other products.
                      I loved my MX keys keyboard, though it was pricey (until you price out trendy mechanical keyboards, that is ). I had to sell that Kb along with other things, and didn't even take a huge loss . To replace the OEM keyboard that was sent to me for work, a $5 special, I got "gaming" Logitech g413, in brushed aluminium, for 25$ (refurbed of course), which actually had good reviews as an office-type of keyboard. I like it a lot, actually.

But back on topic, I don't think I have ever bothered checking for Linux compatibility for anything in quite a long time - on purpose. Just for a challenge. I seldom ever get one, though.
                      The only exception is Wifi cards. A big hassle, with little reward. I just dive straight for Intel. If I need a USB dongle for some reason, then I start worrying lol. Intel don't do USB chips.

But I have not bought an actual sound card since around the turn of the century, I do think this need research. USB DACs probably work ootb, but internal cards may be an adventure.
                      Last edited by claydoh; Jul 16, 2023, 04:35 PM.

Comment

OT (I coud not resist…):

IME, I never had a Logitech mouse (non-gaming) that lasted more than a year. […]
                        I still use and love my Logitech MX518 which I bought in 2005 or 2006 to replace my MX510 (but I think the MX518 could count as a "gaming" mouse) - so it is at least 17 years old now.
                        I bought another two Logitech MX518 some time later (one new, one second hand) for my other computers and they still last, too.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	MX518.jpg Views:	0 Size:	9.6 KB ID:	672260
                        This simply is the perfect mouse for me and my right hand.

But the choice of a mouse heavily depends on the shape and size of your hands and your personal preference.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	mouse_in_hand.jpg Views:	0 Size:	9.4 KB ID:	672261

PS: Both of the mice shown above have cables - which some people don't like.
                        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 11, 2023, 08:34 AM. Reason: typos et al.
                        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                          But back on topic, I don't think I have ever bothered checking for Linux compatibility for anything in quite a long time - on purpose. Just for a challenge. I seldom ever get one, though.
                          The only exception is Wifi cards. A big hassle, with little reward. I just straight for Intel.

But I have not bought an actual sound card since around the turn of the century, I do think this need research. USB DACs probably work ootb, but internal cards may be an adventure.
                          The only piece of hardware I've encountered in the many years that doesn't work (at all) or went for more than a few months for an update to fix it is the fingerprint sensor on my Lenovo laptop. I didn't research in advance and it's never been even detected. I'll probably upgrade its install to get the 6.2 kernels just to see if it wakes up. It's a shame too because logging in with a finger is sooo much easier than the keyboard.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                            Yeah, I hate the cables. The last Logitech wireless mouse I had was 2015 and it worked for a year almost exactly. Then developed what was apparently a static problem. I had to remove the batteries, click all the buttons a bunch of times, then reinsert the batteries. It would work for a month or so, then I had to do it again. Within a few months, it devolved into more than once a day, so I tossed it.

Please Read Me

Comment

the fingerprint sensor on my Lenovo laptop
                              It most likely won't be supported, especially if it is one of the very common Goodix sensors. Partly the lack of hackers, as well as the methods used to store images or data. This affects a LOT of laptops. It won't be a kernel driver, at least I don't think this is relevant for this hardware, though I have not looked into it in a few months to a year.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libfp...rted%20Devices

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                              Gaaaamerzz like cables, cuz latency, blah blah. It can happen. I was dubious until I noticed it myself, by accident I think. Bluetooth, though, not normal wireless.
                              I wasn't just me trying to hide my poor skills, lol.

I needed a wired one, for HIPAA and company regulations for that job that went poof! this past Friday
                              The OEM Lenovo mouse and keyboard they provided are quite garbage, as can be expected, even worse than HP's.

Comment

Working...
                              X