I'm in KVM hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] I'm in KVM hell

Hey, everyone. I've got some hardware problems to solve since I've received my new Dell desktop PC and my new HDMI-based KVM switch. For the past couple years, I've been KVMing between these two PCs with a VGA-based KVM switch:

1. my old Dell PC with Kubuntu
    2. my work Asus PC with Win10/11

My VGA-based KVM works with up to 2 PCs that have VGA and USB ports. It runs. However, I've just bought a new Dell PC with much more memory, and I'm stuck. I plan to put Kubuntu on the new Dell and to put Windows 10 back onto my old Dell. The work Asus PC will remain the same. I then wish to KVM between these three machines, and maybe add a fourth machine later (possibly a Mac).

My Goal:
    Be able to KVM between these three PCs:
    1. my new Dell desktop, that I put Kubuntu onto
    2. my old Dell PC, which I've restored Windows 10 onto
    3. my work Asus PC for which my job mandates Windows 11 (and nothing but work software is allowed)

Problem ONE
    I cannot even use my new Dell yet. It won't work with my 17” Dell monitor whose only video part is VGA. The new Dell PC has an HDMI port and something I hadn't heard of before called a “display port” (see image at end of post).

Thus, I assume the solution is either to get a new monitor that has an HDMI port, a display port, or both – or get some kind of adapter that converts one of those over to VGA. Right?

Problem TWO
    I can't use this new KVM switch as is for these three PCs. The video ports on the three PCs are as follows:

my new Dell PC -- has 1 HDMI port & 2 Display ports
    my old Dell PC -- has 1 HDMI port & 1 VGA port
    work Asus Win 11 PC -- has no HDMI port, has 1 VGA port, & has 2 display ports

My new KVM switch is this one:
    4K HDMI KVM Switch 4 Ports for 4 Computers Share One HD 4K Monitor, 3 USB Devices Keyboard Mouse Printer, 2 3.5mm Headphone Jack, Including 4 HDMI Cable and 1 Remote Controller

I'm thinking some solutions might be as follows:

Plan A
    1. Get a new HDMI-based monitor
    2. For the work PC, get an adapter that will convert either the VGA or the Display port to HDMI

Plan B
    Same as Plan A, except don't replace monitor. Instead, get an adapter that will convert HDMI to VGA so that I can keep using existing monitor.

Plan C
    Return KVM switch and order a different one. Is there some kind of KVM switch that can handle multiple video types?

Am I on the right track? I need to move quickly because both the new computer and the KVM switch have a 30-day return policy with New Egg, and about two weeks have already gone by.

I know I got myself into a pickle, and I appreciate any help solving this problem. Thanks.

Addendum:
    This is my new Dell desktop:

Dell Optiplex 7040 Tower, i7-6700 Quad Core upto4.2 Ghz, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM, 4K UHD 3-Monitor Support, 2x Display Port, HDMI, DVDRW, Windows 10 Pro, WiFi, Keyboard and Mouse Included

Here's the photo of what I'm told are known as “Display Ports.” The picture is from my work Asus PC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ports-EMS-final.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	670816
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
    […]
    The new Dell PC has an HDMI port and something I hadn't heard of before called a “display port” (see image at end of post).
    […]

I would always prefer Display Port to HDMI for connecting a monitor - is it targeted to connect monitors and was designed to replace VGA and DVI.

Display Port can display higher refresh rates / higher resolutions than HDMI of the same generation and has a physical lock mechanism (replacing the screws on VGA and DVI connectors) unlike HDMI (which has no lock mechanism at all).
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 14, 2023, 11:34 PM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post

I would always prefer Display Port to HDMI for connecting a monitor - is it targeted to connect monitors and was designed to replace VGA and DVI.

Display Port can display higher refresh rates / higher resolutions than HDMI of the same generation and has a physical lock mechanism (replacing the screws on VGA and DVI connectors) unlike HDMI (which has no lock mechanism at all).
      So my solution could be none of the above, but instead:
      Plan D
      1. Return the HDMI-based KVM for a DisplayPort-based one.
      2. Buy a DisplayPort-based Monitor
      3. Then only one PC needs an adapter, as follows:
      my new Dell PC -- has 1 HDMI port & 2 Display ports [no adapter needed]
      my old Dell PC -- has 1 HDMI port & 1 VGA port [HDMI to DisplayPort or VGA to DisplayPort adapter needed]
      work Asus Win 11 PC -- has no HDMI port, has 1 VGA port, & has 2 display ports [no adapter needed]​

Hopefully, they have such an adapter, and hopefully NewEgg has good customer service. This has turned out more complicated than I thought, but it looks like it can be solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
        […]
        2. Buy a DisplayPort-based Monitor
        […]
        If I have to buy something new, I always try to be as flexible as possible concerning the ports: I would try to get a new monitor with Display Port(s) (one at least, of course) and if possible additionally with HDMI/DVI or even VGA ports.
        So you could use this monitor for other (older or more "exotic") devices that may not have a Display Port, too - without the need for an adapter.

Also keep in mind that your monitor will probably outlast several computers - don't buy the cheapest one you can get, but the best one you can get for the amount of money you are able to spend.

Or you could connect two or three devices directly to the monitor without the need of a KVM switch if need be.
        Some monitors also provide one input and two or more outputs for USB devices - which only makes sense if all connected computers but one are powered off (most monitors that have several USB ports don't provide a "real" switch for them, only one for the picture)….
        So probably a KVM switch would be more fitting for your use case after all?

PS: Congratulations to the new computer, btw!

PPS: And do keep in mind that there are monitors in 16:10, too (not only 16:9). They might be better suited for your use case (e.g. office stuff or even surfing the web is much more pleasant to do on a 16:10 display).
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 15, 2023, 01:27 AM. Reason: added PPS :-)
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

I talked with New Egg today. They were really helpful. Some display-port-based KMVs exist, but they're insanely expensive, so I looked for a solution that keeps this HDMI-based KVM. I therefore went with my Plan A:
          Plan A
          1. Get a new HDMI-based monitor
          2. For the work PC, get an adapter that will convert either the VGA or the Display port to HDMI
          She advised me that I've still got 14 days return time on the PC, and a little more on the KVM, and to make sure to order something that ships from within the USA (the country I'm in) and not from China. It's nothing against China, but the shipping would take too long. So I've sent off for a new Dell monitor that has an HDMI port. I think I'll be fine with HDMI, even if this display-port thing is supposed to be better. I wasn't discontent with VGA. The monitor wasn't horribly expensive. And the cable for converting my work PC's VGA over to HDMI was really affordable. It's just one cable, so that's handy.

I realized I've got Amazon Prime, and a bunch of stuff comes in just one day. Plus, New Egg didn't have a Dell monitor of the type I want, so my monitor is coming from Amazon, arriving tomorrow. The conversion cable will arrive between Thursday and Sunday. But I've hedged my bets, since these converters are so affordable. I found a different one on Amazon, that was a converter that you plug into an HDMI cable (which I already have). So I got one of those as well from Amazon, which will arrive tomorrow. So I'll hook this stuff up tomorrow and see if it all works. If it doesn't, I can still return it. When the other converter arrives from New Egg, I can see if I like that one better, and just return whichever one I like least.

I think this is going to work. I'll report back what happens. It's frustrating when you receive a new PC and gear, but you can't even use it yet. I should have checked my gear more thoroughly before ordering.

Comment

DP to HDMI adapters exist and work. VGA to HDMI no way,

Please Read Me

Comment

My 2 monitors at my desk both have 1 DP and two HDMI ports, and I just got THIS adapter yesterday so I can connect my DP-only HP EliteDesk 800G2 mini pc to one of those, as well as to my spare monitor in the bedroom, which is HDMI-only.
              I can connect my NAS, laptop, tablet, etc via HDMI as well, if needed.

I don't use a KVM, I just have a good Bluetooth mouse and keyboard, each supports up to three devices. I do have to switch each input device separately, but the mouse has a side button for that, and the keyboard is a quick Fn-key combo.
              I would almost suggest this as an option, if it fits, but my sticking point is the monitors - Mine don't seem to like auto-switching sources away from DP

Either my existing DP-HDMI cable is damaged, or the thing just doesn't like the HP. It worked on my TV from my PC last I used it.

There are cheaper adapters out there, but the quality or functionality may be .....poor. Same for some more expensive ones. I have purchased a few around the same time as that cable that were junk ootb.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                VGA to HDMI no way,
                However, HDMI to VGA is possible; I've used a cheap dongle to drive a projector (because the cabling is VGA; the projector is on the ceiling of a church). However, I wonder what resolutions and refresh rates would be supported.
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                  However, HDMI to VGA is possible; I've used a cheap dongle to drive a projector (because the cabling is VGA; the projector is on the ceiling of a church). However, I wonder what resolutions and refresh rates would be supported.
                  I never tried that. I imagine the xorg configuration would be non-trivial.

I do have and have used HDMI to DVI and that works. But never tried VGA (~~shudder~~)

Please Read Me

Comment

I just remembered back in the day (circa 2003) I had a 42" Plasma monitor that only supported HDMI 1.0 and a single port. As HDMI technology moved on, the old Plasma wouldn't die but became nearly unusable because of HDMI becoming encoded - I guess to prevent high quality copies of video feeds being made. I ended up buying a device that cost several hundred dollars, but it stripped the encryption from HDMI and allowed me to keep using the monitor for several more years. The device also had a VGA output and would duplicate the stream across 2 HDMI ports and the VGA port AND split out the audio stream.

Please Read Me

Comment

Boy... this thread is a trip down memory lane. Back when I was working the 9 to 5, I managed Vertiv AMX and HMX KVM-over-IP systems for the office (...if I remember correctly, the HMX could connect up to 2048 desktop clients with up to 4096 targets.) Since the HMX was IP based, it could work with targets or clients located anywhere in the world so long as there was reasonable IP network access available.

When I left the full-time gig, I tried to get away from doing hardware KVMs and moved over to software based KVMs. My favorite now is probably Nomachine. Works with most OSes and no hardware needed.

cheers,
                      bill
                      sigpic
                      A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                      X