This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Mouse middle button not working

I have a Corsair Mouse. Larget I could find for my oversized hands, and to reduce RSI strain on my wrist
    anyhow. in 20.04 the "ckb-next' software I could assign and it worked. I have the scroll wheel middle button, and behind the scroll wheel I have a middle button.
    Now since I upgraded, and I've reinstalled ckb-next, I can assign the middle button to both the scroll wheel click, and the middle button. PROBLEM is the middle button just wont work.
    I was wondering...
    is it a KDE issue?
    Is it a Corsair issue
    Is it a Kubuntu issue

How would I go about checking? Remove ckb-next, see if Kubuntu realises it's a two middle button mouse. (I'm actually going to try that as soon as I sign out...PC needs a restart)

Finding and tracking down hardware issues I have never mastered in Linux.
    Thanks Again & a happy 2023 Easter Break
    Last edited by CharlieDaves; Apr 30, 2023, 08:01 PM.

You can test your mouse buttons with xev

Open Konsole, type "xev" and Enter. Then a small white box will appear. Keeping the mouse cursor over the white box, press the buttons on the mouse. You should see something like:

Code:
    ButtonPress event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x7e00001,
       root 0x6c8, subw 0x0, time 79824194, (94,86), root:(1967,1097),
       state 0x0, button 2, same_screen YESMotionNotify event
    ​

ButtonRelease event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x7e00001,
       root 0x6c8, subw 0x0, time 79824355, (94,86), root:(1967,1097),
       state 0x200, button 2, same_screen YES
    If you move the mouse cursor even a little bit you will get a ton of "MotionNotify event" messages so hold the mouse as steady as possible. I used a finger on left hand to press firmly down on the mouse body to hold it in place then used my right hand to click the buttons.

I would assume if the button registers with X but does no actions, the issue is with the ckb-next software. I'm not sure what that program is actually for, but you can assign actions to mouse buttons without external software.

This post explains how to do this pretty well.

Please Read Me

Comment

Which specific mouse?
      Can you post an image of the settings in the application, with the appropriate button on the image clicked?
      What is that button normally used for?

The first thing to check is to see what changes there are if you aren't running the software.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20230411_120209-1.png Views:	0 Size:	54.1 KB ID:	669947

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      I'm not sure what that program is actually for
      It is for RGB and different functions related to Corsair mice and keyboards it is a fair bit easier and less complex than other methods, as well as other buttons and options not covered by the usual mouse configuration tools.

I mainly use mine to turn off the unicorn vomit RGB, and to adjust the 'sniper' button on my mouse, which is not covered by things like xev, etc. The DPI buttons below my scroll wheel can be remapped to other functions if desired, too.
      Last edited by claydoh; Apr 11, 2023, 10:18 AM.

Comment

I don't remember the exact model of mouse, but the screen is almost identical.
        I have accidentally clicked the 2nd middle click button, within FIREFOX, and it works today. Maybe my mouse is afraid of what Claydoh was going to do to it, or something to do with the update 2 days ago, and a full poweroff reset. (Yes I've done both of these before hand, and nothing worked) it's the middle button behind the wheel highlighted light blue in image
        Like I said. It's suddenly working.
        Before posting I've done a quick check everywhere, and the middle button still is not working within VM's. the ScrollWheel Middle click IS however, and is anonying, as I have a tendance to click and scroll but not necessary in that order.
        Thanks for the replies

Click image for larger version  Name:	Kubuntu Mouse screen-settings.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.5 KB ID:	670040
        Attached Files

Comment

• GreyGeek
          GreyGeek commented
          Editing a comment
          "Suddenly working" suggests that a piece of detritus fell out of the mouse wheel...

So as mentioned. Solved within Firefox, but not other Desktop functions. I just checked what middle mouse button does in Dolphin, which is open folder in new tab. The scroll wheel click does this, but not the middle button. I have tried the following settings
        1. disable scroll wheel click (set it to disabled) & set middle button to middle button click. = not working at all
        2. Set both Scroll wheel and middle button to middle button click. Works in Firefox. DOESN'T work in Thunderbird, Dolphin, or VM's..... Any suggestions on other things to test please.
        Mouse settings form settings.
        Any other helpful fault diagnosis suggestions please
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Kubuntu Mouse Settings Screen.jpg
Views:	1073
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	670071

Comment

I suggest using xev in a konsole to identify what button numbers each button is producing. Buttons in X11 are numbered, 1, 2, 3, 4... Usually they correspond to left, right, middle, scroll up and scroll down.

(BTW, I use button 3 much more than button 2, so I've swapped them. I strongly dislike most under scroll wheel buttons, so I get mice with extra buttons to make at least one of them button 2.)
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Yesterday I stated that the middle button was working within Firefox. Today it is NOT !!! I truly hate these problems.

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
            I suggest using xev in a konsole to identify what button numbers each button is producing.)
            I've tried that, I don't have 'kev' installed.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Kubuntu Mouse kev.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	670101

Comment

Not kev, xev
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Not kev, xev
                Okay. All I got was a small window, with a thick black box, and the Konsole, would scroll data everytime the mouse was in this window or clicked.
                Not to be rude, but doesn't mean anything to me PS. AtThisMoment, I have big headache, so searching or reading is out.
                KubuntuForums-MiddleMouseButton-KonsoleWindow.txt

Comment

• GreyGeek
                  GreyGeek commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That text file shows mouse movement events, as oshunluver wrote above. That's why he held the mouse down tightly with a finger of his left hand while he clicked buttons with a finger of his right hand ... just to avoid that flood of movement notifications.

If you click in the box, it'll tell you all the details about the click, including the button number.

If the mass of events is a problem, you can use
                Code:
                xev -event button
                If a mouse button produces nothing, then setting that button on the mouse hasn't worked.
                Regards, John Little

Comment

If you click in the box, it'll tell you all the details about the click, including the button number.

If the mass of events is a problem, you can use
                  Code:
                  xev -event button
                  If a mouse button produces nothing, then setting that button on the mouse hasn't worked.
                  YEP.. Thanks. It produced "button 2" on both buttons.
                  After some experimentation, I've discovered that the 2nd mouse (middle button) Is Physically "dodgy"... I have to give it a really good click or press. The actually button click does NOT mean it has actually physically clicked.. If this makes sense.
                  However. Many thanks. I've learned something new, and will totally forget about it in lets say a month.
                  Problem solved

Comment

• GreyGeek
                    GreyGeek commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A "dodgy" mouse button indicates the beginning of a failure OR dirt in the button. If you have a can of air you can pressure blast the mouse through its various openings and see if you can dislodge the dirt.
                Working...
                X