Laptop Keyboard Does Not Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop Keyboard Does Not Work

I'm looking for some help resolving an issue where my laptop keyboard does not work with Kubuntu 22.04 LTS. The laptop is a Slimbook Titan. Here's what I've been able to find so far:
    • The keyboard does work in the live media/installation wizard - kernel version 5.15.0-25
    • The keyboard does not work in the installed OS - kernel version 5.15.0-67
    • I tried performing installs without selecting the options to "download updates during installation" or to "install 3-party stuff" and also tried installing without network connected. It always installs with 5.15.0-67 even without these things.
    Based on this, it seems that I need to stick with kernel 5.15.0-25. The problem is that Kubuntu 22.04 LTS installs with kernel 5.15.0-67. I'm not familiar with working with kernels and bootloaders, so I'm having trouble finding how to do the below. Here is what I think I need to do for now:
    • Install the older 5.15.0-25 kernel
    • Set the system to boot with the 5.15.0-25 kernel
    • Block updates to the kernel so it does not go past 5.15.0-25
    Does anyone know how to do these things?

Since Slimbook is a Linux company, have you asked them what to do to solve it?

You might try the newer 5.19 kernel now shipping with later releases, although those us us with AMD video are having a sound issue with -35 and above.

Have you tried an external keyboard? I ask because it that works, you can install 5.15.0-25 from the repos, A simple "sudo apt install linux-image-5.15.0-25-generic" will install the kernel. You probably will need all or most of these also:

linux-headers-5.15.0-25
    linux-headers-5.15.0-25-generic
    linux-modules-5.15.0-25-generic
    linux-modules-extra-5.15.0-25-generic
    linux-tools-5.15.0-25
    linux-tools-5.15.0-25-generic

and reboot. Once you have rebooted, just remove the other kernels and -25 will be the only one GRUB will find.​

Once all that works, this will probably "hold" the packages: sudo apt-mark hold 5.15.0-25-generic

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by foobunny View Post
      I'm looking for some help resolving an issue where my laptop keyboard does not work with Kubuntu 22.04 LTS. The laptop is a Slimbook Titan. Here's what I've been able to find so far:
      • The keyboard does work in the live media/installation wizard - kernel version 5.15.0-25
      • The keyboard does not work in the installed OS - kernel version 5.15.0-67
      • I tried performing installs without selecting the options to "download updates during installation" or to "install 3-party stuff" and also tried installing without network connected. It always installs with 5.15.0-67 even without these things.
      I am not sure how you are getting the -67 version of 5.15, even on your older iso image.
      The kernel on that live session is the one installed, so I would check that you really are disconnected from the internet during the install.
      I just tested an old original 22.04 Kubuntu image, with the -25. it installed with no network connection, and booted to that kernel, not the -67.
      In any case, you should still have the original -25 kernel installed and available via your grub menu, which toy may need to hit the esc key to view.
      Is your keyboard working to get to things like the bios? This is low level hardware support, before any OS or kernel is even loaded. Your keyboard should work to get to the grub menu.
      One can manually set the default kernel choice in grub, or use a utility such as grub-customizer to do so.

It may also be worth double checking that any hardware keyboard shortcuts to enable/disable hardware (such as keyboards) haven't been toggled. I have seen this myself once or twice over the years, but for webcams and a trackpad.

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      You might try the newer 5.19 kernel now shipping with later releases, although those us us with AMD video are having a sound issue with -35 and above.
      The current ISO (22.04.2) has the 5.19 kernel already so it may be worth downloading that, at least. in order to see how a major upgrade might work.​

And even Mainline kernels as another option.

Comment

To get the older ISOs:

http://mirror.uchile.cl/ubuntu-cdima...jammy/release/

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          To get the older ISOs:
          I am guessing that the OP is already using an "og" 22.04 iso image, based on the kernel version in the live session. Or using an OEM provided one for their Slimbook, perhaps?

Comment

Hmm, I guess I sort of missed that.

So the answer is, re-install and don't update during install, boot up, lock the kernel, then update.

Or more simply, set the grub default to -25 and not worry about it. I guess you'd have to edit the autodelete file to prevent -25 from ever uninstalling.

I'd be a bit nervous with only one bootable kernel...

Please Read Me

Comment

The odd thing is the OP claims that the kernel is updated to -67, even though they did not connect to the internet during the install. Which could not happen, as the kernel isn't a package to be installed, but is part of the live OS image which is written to disk.
              Hopefully, they respond with more details.

Comment

Well, some point release of 22.04 LTS has linux-image-5.15.0-67-generic: https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/22.04/ubuntu...amd64.deb.html
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  Well, some point release of 22.04 LTS has linux-image-5.15.0-67-generic: https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/22.04/ubuntu...amd64.deb.html
                  Maybe 22.04.1, but that likely has a slightly earlier build. Current GA kernel is 5.15-69. Which only makes things weirder here.

But in any case, the kernel running the live session (5.15.25 here) is the the one that will be in the install, unless one in connected to to the internet, and it downloads updates, if a normal Kubuntu ISO image was used.

Comment

Update: When manually booting into the 5.15.0-25 kernel, I've discovered that the Nvidia drivers are not installed. After installing them, they're not loaded and the card is not detected or usable. Can a mod close out this thread? I'm not going to put any more work into this outside of what Slimbook support can come up with.

Thank you for all the helpful replies! Here's the answers to some of the questions asked:

I have contacted Slimbook support about the issue and they are working to identify a resolution. I've also been pursuing it on my own to see if I can find a workaround or fix too.

The keyboard does work in the firmware/bios as well as the live session. An external keyboard works too. However, I don't want to carry an external keyboard around with my laptop because that sort of defeats the portability concept.

I did try the newer 22.04.2 release with the 5.19.0 kernel and had the same problem with the keyboard there.

It does make sense that it should install with the 5.15.0-25 kernel since that is what's in the live session. I must have still been online. Though it is interesting that it would download updates even though I deselected the option to download updates.

I think as a workaround I'll try a new install, set the 5.15.0-25 as the default to boot, and block kernel updates. Then I'll implement a permanent fix once Slimbook identifies what the fix is.

How do I set the grub default though? Is this done through a config file? I looked into the grub.cfg file and saw the first boot entry is the 5.15.0-69 kernel. There is then a submenu for advanced options which has entries of 5.15.0-69, 5.15.0-69 (recovery mode), 5.15.0-25, and 5.15.0-25 (recovery mode). I figured that meant 5.15.0-25 was the fourth boot entry, so I edited the GRUB_DEFAULT line in /etc/defaults/grub to GRUB_DEFAULT = 4. I then did the grub-mkconfig and update-grub and rebooted, but it still booted into the normal default of 5.15.0-69, so I'm confused what I did wrong.

Comment

Though it is interesting that it would download updates even though I deselected the option to download updates.
                      This is a common bug in the rather ancient installer Ubuntu/Kubuntu uses. Ubuntu has a new installer coming, but they have not yet created a KDE/Qt version of it yet.

How do I set the grub default though? Is this done through a config file?
                      You can use an application called Grub Customizer.
                      or, set the default to be the one you selected to booted to in the menu.
                      https://itsfoss.com/boot-older-kernel-default/

I figured that meant 5.15.0-25 was the fourth boot entry, so I edited the GRUB_DEFAULT line in /etc/defaults/grub to GRUB_DEFAULT = 4.
                      I think that grub choices start at 0, so you might try using '3',

Comment

I made the GRUB change based on that article, and now the system won't boot with an error about failed to detect GPUs or system changes.

I'm just going to do a clean install and then not touch it until Slimbook support has a solution. Or maybe send it back for a refund. Time will tell.

Comment

Working...
                        X