Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] HD boot diagnistics, fail. Cannot boot

Hi,

This morning I booted as usual my Desktop where Kubuntu 22.04 is installed, and an HD check started, as randomly happened in the past, with no issues. This time took long to do the check, and I got into an "emergency mode" screen with several options to be typed in a command line. One of them was reboot, and I got an additional error (image attached).
    I have 3 partitions; one for data, one for Kubuntu boot, one for Linux Mint boot. I booted from Mint, and there was no problem; I could access the data partition.

Doing further research, trying to boot from previous kernels on safe mode, I find that the problem is on an "sde1" device, yet for my phisical HDs (externals and internals) there is no sde1 device; any ideas?

Attached Files
    Last edited by alquimista.ndc; Feb 01, 2023, 12:24 AM.

Any hekp will be appreciated

Comment

Did you read the logs with journalctl in the above situation as suggested?

What does lsblk show regarding /dev/sde1 ?

It could have something to do with a removable storage device ("/media/Portable_2"). -> "Dependency failed…"
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 01, 2023, 04:25 AM.
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
        Did you read the logs with journalctl in the above situation as suggested?

What does lsblk show regarding /dev/sde1 ?

It could have something to do with a removable storage device ("/media/Portable_2"). -> "Dependency failed…"
        I executed boor repair from Linux Mint; one of the report sections is this:

Code:
        NAME FSTYPE UUID PARTUUID LABEL PARTLABEL
        sda
        ├─sda1 ext4 a7eb1469-902c-479d-acb3-544a7b7e83f9 2bf74f36-01
        ├─sda2 2bf74f36-02
        ├─sda3 vfat 7663-4C1A 2bf74f36-03
        ├─sda5 ext4 d917e175-d776-4e84-a6cc-023411ada6ab 2bf74f36-05
        └─sda6 swap 50925978-2b2a-4225-8cb7-8fb17d947335 2bf74f36-06
        sdb
        ├─sdb1 ext4 e2def175-75c3-4150-b30d-9f04dbfac9dc 26af26af-01 Descargas_3
        ├─sdb3 26af26af-03
        ├─sdb5 ext4 90cea00a-2bcc-43be-9257-030b348202be 26af26af-05 Aplicaciones
        ├─sdb6 swap 9b3eeca3-cf36-441b-81b6-c9e4b0b630b1 26af26af-06
        └─sdb7 ext4 317b8658-8d96-492b-bd7c-8041eeb56818 26af26af-07 Descargas_2
        sdc
        └─sdc1 ext4 61fd5c92-340f-421c-8c5f-92d91080ea6d 000621cc-01
        sdd
        └─sdd1 ntfs 712AD77F1BAA4722 3c994957-01 Portable 2​
        No "sde1" partition

Executing lsblk, I get this... with additional severe messages
        Attached Files
        Last edited by alquimista.ndc; Feb 01, 2023, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alquimista.ndc View Post
          I executed boor repair from Linux Mint
          […]
          I sincerely doubt that a program like boot-repair, moreover executed from another system (LinuxMint in your case) could fix the errors above.
          You really should read the log files of the affected system (journalctl…), thus Kubuntu, to get a clue what went wrong and at what point during boot, before using a "sledgehammer" like boot-repair.
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 01, 2023, 02:32 PM.
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...default-target

Check the fstab for removable drives, or ones no longer present

Also run an fsck on your drives - it may have errors. Use the recovery menu from Kubuntu's grub, or a live usb. Another OS is ok, but one that is using a different drive.

A super quick search for "failed to start default target transaction for graphical.target/start is destructive" brings up both of these as possible issues.

Comment

When booting in safemode, it seems to force a "start" job on "sde1" (first screen)
              Then, executing "fsck", is reporting an unexistent "dev/sde1" (second screen)

As mentioned before, when listing all devices, no sde1 is present, so why is it trying to find an sde1 in the boot?

On the current Linux Mint I have (version 21), the same desktop and with access to all partitions as Kubuntu does, nothing happens of this; after maybe 2 or 3 years operating Kubuntu normally and very stable as my base partition, this happens
              Attached Files
              Last edited by alquimista.ndc; Feb 01, 2023, 11:45 PM.

Comment

'sde" can change, and if it failed to mount, or if it is not present, it won't show, obviously.

But if sde is referenced in your /etc/fstab......it gonna look for sde.

So boot to a live USB or a different OS and look at the contents of that file. You most likely have an entry there added for some drive that no longer is there, or is no longer seen as /dev/sde

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  'sde" can change, and if it failed to mount, or if it is not present, it won't show, obviously.

But if sde is referenced in your /etc/fstab......it gonna look for sde.

So boot to a live USB or a different OS and look at the contents of that file. You most likely have an entry there added for some drive that no longer is there, or is no longer seen as /dev/sde
                  Thank you so much claydoh

Indeed, there was an entry "/dev/sde1/ pointing to an USB HD drive "Portable_2" that was actually connected and was working fine all along; honestly I don't remember ever adding myself that line, that was at the bottom of the file; wonder if in a latest Kubuntu update, something could have updated the "fstab" file?

In the end, now all is working fine

Comment

if in a latest Kubuntu update, something could have updated the "fstab" file?
                    No, that is not the sort of thing an update would be touching, for this very sort of reason. Even if it did, it would use the UUID of the drive anyway, specifically because the device name can change.

Comment

Indeed, there was an entry "/dev/sde1/ pointing to an USB HD drive "Portable_2" that was actually connected and was working fine all along; honestly I don't remember ever adding myself that line, that was at the bottom of the file;
                      If that USB HD was connected when you installed Kubuntu originally, it would have been included in the /etc/fstab.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                        If that USB HD was connected when you installed Kubuntu originally, it would have been included in the /etc/fstab.
                        Yes, but that fstab would be using the UUID of the device, not a /dev/xxx

Then again, it probably is mentioning it it in the comment for that entry.

Comment

Working...
                        X