No announcement yet.

Neither of my 2 HP printers will print

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I'm still running Ubuntu 22.04 from the flash drive. Unless 16.04 is available, I have no way to surf the net. I could have a dual boot system, but at this point I want to keep things simple. I have spent the last few hours making a list of new terms I need to understand. I have found those terms by surfing the net with 16.04. Not until I understand 22.04 far better than I now do will I jettison 16.04.I had a dual-boot system many years ago, but I haven't thought about that stuff in a long, long time. I'll be far less apt to screw things up if I just keep it as simple as possible now.

Comment

I’m still running Ubuntu 22.04.1 from a startup boot USB stick. I have questions re (1) mobile hotspot, and (2) editing and saving a Writer document that was created using Ubuntu 16.04. Issue 1: With Ubuntu 16.04, all I must do to get internet access on my laptop is to turn on my phone’s mobile hotspot. My laptop automatically gets the signal from the phone and in a few seconds I have internet access on my laptop. It can’t get much simpler than that! That procedure does not work with Ubuntu 22.04 (at least I haven't gotten it to work). What must I do to get internet access on my laptop when it’s running Ubuntu 22.04 instead of Ubuntu 16.04 and the access comes from my phone’s mobile hotspot? Issue 2: I’ve written 5 books using Ubuntu 16.04’s LibreOffice Writer. When running Ubuntu 22.04’s version of Writer, I edited Chapter 40 from one of those 5 books. I then tried to save the changes. I then got this message: “Error saving the document Chapter 40. Write Error. The file could not be written.” So I tried editing a different file. I got the same error message with it (only a different file name). So the problem is not confined to just one file! To me that’s bad news, and I don’t understand it. Same computer; same operating system—only different versions; but both attempts to save 2 different files failed for apparently the same reason! Any help you can offer me will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by wtb32141 View Post
        Write Error. The file could not be written.”
        This *sounds* like a permissions issue, being a live session, it isn't running with the same ownership/permissions that an installed OS does, and you can't mess with files without running LibreOffice sudo privileges (don't try this unless you are extremely careful!!!! Or, better yet, don't try it at all.)

Originally posted by wtb32141 View Post
        Ubuntu 16.04, all I must do to get internet access on my laptop is to turn on my phone’s mobile hotspot
        Assuming this is a wifi hotspot function, not wired?
        At some point on 16.04, you had to set this up, and it is remembered, the same as any saved connection.
        However, on a live session, this won't be saved between sessions.
        Click on the network icon on your system tray and see if the hotspot shows in the list of wifi connections, or to see that wifi is working. You will need to get the login/password info from your phone.
        I can't even remember how a wired connection is shared from a phone tbh

Comment

I know exactly what you’re saying about issue 1. I would not have thought of that solution myself. Every time a file is created and saved, the creator’s identity is saved with the file. If someone later opens the file, edits it, and then tries to save the changes, Ubuntu first looks to see if the person who now wants to save the file has permission to save the file. One who is just trying Ubuntu 22.04 (as I’m now doing) will lack permission to modify the file. Thanks to you and others, I’m learning just how little I know about computers (hardware and software) even though I’ve been working with/using them since 1981.

I understand what you’re saying about issue 2. I’ll have to find the data that I entered when I set up that mobile hotspot. I’ll get to work on that chore fairly soon. Thank you very much for taking the time to help me.

Comment

Part 1: Suppose I have 2 printers, A and B. Printer A has driverless printing capabilities; printer B does not. Ubuntu 22.04’s printer settings presumably will show a driver’s name for printer B (if a driver for it can be found). What will it show for printer A?

Part 2: I have the following 2 HP printers:
            Printer 1 is HP Color Laser Jet M277dw I bought it on 12-9-2016. So it’s about 6 years old.
            Printer 2 is HP Laser Jet 1022 I don’t know exactly when I bought it, but it was several years before I bought Printer 1.

The site <https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index> says the following about my printers 1 and 2:

Re Printer 1: Min HPLIP Version: 3.15.4
            Support level: Full

Re Printer 2: Min HPLIP Version: 2.7.10
            Support level: Full (End of support)

Per Synaptic, HPLIP Version 3.21.12 is installed on my computer.

Ubuntu 22.04.1’s printer settings begin with this 4-item menu:
            Printer Options
            Printer Details
            Use printer by default
            Remove Printer

When I click on Printer Details, the following 4 items appear:
            Name: It shows the printer’s name.
            Address: It shows local host as a link.
            Driver: It lists the name of my printer followed by the following 3 items:
            Search for drivers
            Select from Database…
            Install PPD file…

When I select “Search for drivers”, it searches and then displays this message: “No suitable driver found”. That result occurs for both of my printers. Surely a suitable driver exists somewhere for my HP Color Laser Jet M277dw. So as things stand now, the HP 1022 printer won’t print at all because no driver for it has been found. The HP Color LaserJet M277dw prints but not in color.

When I installed Ubuntu 22.04.1, I wish I had chosen the dual-boot option, for both of my printers worked fine under Ubuntu 16.04.

Any thoughts you may have about this post’s Part 1 and/or Part 2 will be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
            X