This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonky sound on new install

I built a new computer and after struggling with my old upgraded install, I decide it was time to start fresh. New 22.04 (actually Neon) install, most factory - very few added PPAs.

I'm trying to enable Lock Key audio notifications and while I have it set the way I believe I should, I get no sound.

The sound system works, although initial audio has a noticeable lag. I'm using the HDMI audio via a display port cable and built in speakers in the monitor. I can watch a movie, but not getting notification sound when I toggle the Caps Lock key like I did on my old install.

I used System Setting > Accessibility to select the sound for Cap Lock and Num Locks keys, and playing them directly works.

Please Read Me
  • Answer selected by oshunluvr at Dec 15, 2022, 02:34 PM.

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
    This does not exist on my system. "Configure Notifications >" leads to a list of Applications and System Services. If select Accessibility, it leads to "A lock key has been deactivated" and "A lock key has been activated". Both of which have sounds selected and the "Play a sound" check box checked. Testing the sound results in the sound playing, although lagging significantly on the first press of the Play button.
    Hm, hm… Sorry, perhaps my description was not good. I logged into my test installation of KDEneon (recently installed, up to date and no extra PPAs) , switched to English and took some screenshots:

Click image for larger version  Name:	kfn_neon1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.6 KB ID:	667194 Click image for larger version  Name:	kfn_neon2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.4 KB ID:	667196 Click image for larger version  Name:	kfn_neon3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.5 KB ID:	667195

PS: Did you try to connect to "conventional" (analog) speakers?
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Dec 15, 2022, 10:02 AM. Reason: added screenshots & PS

Comment

• oshunluvr
      oshunluvr commented
      Editing a comment
      THAT WAS IT! Thank you for digging that out for me.

This could be a bug or at least a bad description of the different options (but I think you can get it working, at least I could):

System Settings -> Accessibility -> "Special Keys"(?) -> Feedback -> enable: "Show Notifications when modifier or locking keys are used" (the other settings - like "Ring system bell when locking keys are toggled" - do nothing for me…) -> Configure Notifications -> define a sound for "locking keys pressed" and one for "locking keys released" -> Voilà!

The description doesn't match the purpose, I would say…​

Just tested with Kubuntu 22.04 (with Backports: Plasma 5.24.7, Frameworks 5.98), Debian 11 KDE (with Norbert Preining's Backports: Plasma 5.24.7, Frameworks 5.100) and KDEneon (Plasma 5.26.4, Frameworks 5.101).

By the way: No lagging sound here - but my speakers are connected to a 3,5mm analog jack, not HDMI.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Dec 14, 2022, 04:05 PM. Reason: typos
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

New 22.04 (actually Neon) install,
      Dude, methinks you posted in the wrong spot
      Probably a Plasma version specific issue, art least in terms of the accessibility sounds. I cannot get them to work on my neon system either.
      However, I have no issues with audio , even via my monitor's crap speakers, let alone my good speakers or USB headphones.

Soooo...testing in a virtual machine, and passing my kb directly through to virt-manager, it does work in 22.04. So a Plasma issue, it seems

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
        T-> Configure Notifications -> define a sound for "locking keys pressed" and one for "locking keys released" -> Voilà!
        This does not exist on my system. "Configure Notifications >" leads to a list of Applications and System Services. If select Accessibility, it leads to "A lock key has been deactivated" and "A lock key has been activated". Both of which have sounds selected and the "Play a sound" check box checked. Testing the sound results in the sound playing, although lagging significantly on the first press of the Play button.
        Last edited by oshunluvr; Dec 15, 2022, 08:27 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Dude, methinks you posted in the wrong spot
          Probably a Plasma version specific issue, art least in terms of the accessibility sounds. I cannot get them to work on my neon system either.
          However, I have no issues with audio , even via my monitor's crap speakers, let alone my good speakers or USB headphones.

Soooo...testing in a virtual machine, and passing my kb directly through to virt-manager, it does work in 22.04. So a Plasma issue, it seems
          So for me, it worked in my previous KDE neon install, which was a 20.04 base install that I went through the upgrade process for. At some point, it broke with a package run-around reminiscent of the old RPM days. That and a couple other issues lead me to the idea it was time for a fresh install.

So maybe it's just a missing package that's gone unnoticed by Neon devs? I'm gonna start looking there...

...and moving the thread to KDEneon since it seems like a pure Neon problem.

Please Read Me

Comment

Ok, I call shenanigans. I just built a new Kubuntu 22.04 vm and capslock is not sending the sound notification.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hm, hm… Sorry, perhaps my description was not good. I logged into my test installation of KDEneon (recently installed, up to date and no extra PPAs) , switched to English and took some screenshots:

Click image for larger version  Name:	kfn_neon1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.6 KB ID:	667194 Click image for larger version  Name:	kfn_neon2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.4 KB ID:	667196 Click image for larger version  Name:	kfn_neon3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.5 KB ID:	667195

PS: Did you try to connect to "conventional" (analog) speakers?
              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Dec 15, 2022, 10:02 AM. Reason: added screenshots & PS
              Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
              Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

• oshunluvr
                oshunluvr commented
                Editing a comment
                THAT WAS IT! Thank you for digging that out for me.

I have no analog speakers available. But when I get to looking deeper into the lag, I may have to dig some up.

It's really a very small but noticeable lag. When the first notification happens, the first parts of the note(s) are missing, but if you again immediately cause a notification the notes are whole. I do have a blue tooth speaker I may try.
              Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
              X