Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running out of disk space. Something in the Kub. is accummulating log files that take up all the partition (50 Gb).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Running out of disk space. Something in the Kub. is accummulating log files that take up all the partition (50 Gb).

This has happened before, but I don't know where they are or how much of them to delete. This must be a native problem, so someone here must know about it and how to solve it.
    Last edited by RLynwood; Dec 11, 2023, 05:41 PM.

As to identifying the largest folders in descending order, open a konsole and type: du -h / 2>/dev/null | grep '[0-9\.]\+G'
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Looks like endless output from that cl string. Do you really want it all? If so, how should I display it here?
      In the mean time, I've installed Disk Usage Analyzer. Clearly, /var takes the largest amount of space, 9.9 Gb, 8.5 of which is in /lib, by far the lion's share. /usr is next with 8.5 Gb, with 6.3 Gb in /lib, also the lion's share.
      Last edited by RLynwood; Nov 17, 2023, 03:16 PM.

Comment

A good KDE application for Plasma to display disk usage is Filelight (https://apps.kde.org/filelight/).
        A similar good program for CLI is ncdu.

Perhaps you have installed a lot of Snaps or Flatpaks ?
        In Konsole what do snap list and flatpak list --app say?
        If there are some of those applications you don't use at all, they could be removed to save drive space - if Snaps or Flatpaks are responsible for eating up your drive space.

If you think log files are responsible: most of them are in /var/log/ .

Could also be lots of old kernel modules in /lib/modules/ (see https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...-to-care-about).
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Nov 17, 2023, 03:42 PM. Reason: typos and additions
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I didn't think I'd installed so many additional apps, probably 5-10; they're all snaps, as Kub uses; I have no Flatpak. Installed Ffilelight. And I've deleted apps that I don't want.

snap list yields:
          ame Version Rev Tracking Publisher Notes
          astronum 1.0.10 69 latest/stable kryuchkovalex1290 -
          bare 1.0 5 latest/stable canonical base
          brave 1.60.114 309 latest/stable brave -
          cameractrls 0.5.11-0-g8038470 31 latest/stable degville -
          chromium 119.0.6045.159 2695 latest/stable canonical -
          chromium-ffmpeg 0.1 34 latest/stable canonical -
          core18 20230901 2796 latest/stable canonical base
          core20 20230801 2015 latest/stable canonical base
          core22 20230801 864 latest/stable canonical base
          cups 2.4.6-4 980 latest/stable openprinting -
          firefox 119.0.1-1 3358 latest/stable/… mozilla -
          gnome-3-28-1804 3.28.0-19-g98f9e67.98f9e67 198 latest/stable canonical -
          gnome-3-38-2004 0+git.efb213a 143 latest/stable/… canonical -
          gnome-42-2204 0+git.ff35a85 141 latest/stable canonical -
          gtk-common-themes 0.1-81-g442e511 1535 latest/stable/… canonical -
          jami 20231030.0 290 latest/stable sfljami -
          opera 105.0.4970.16 275 latest/stable opera-software -
          snapd 2.60.4 20290 latest/stable canonical snapd

Sorry it's all run together.

flatpak list --app yields: sudo: flatpak: command not found

​I don't think it is snaps that's eating up my space because of my having had this problem before. It turned out to be some log file that Kub. kept creating, apparently very frequently, always without weeding out old such files, so that they just kept eating up sapce until I got a notice that I was running out of space, as now (~ 1.1 Gb left in one estimate, ~ 0.8 Gb in another).

Comment

You might try this for less output: du -h --max-depth=1 / 2>/dev/null | grep '[0-9\.]\+G'

For comparison, my Neon install:

/var 13.1g
            /usr 14.3g

/lib is just a link to /usr/lib so not sure that's a valid measure.

My total space used is 29.2g so if you're filling 50g /var isn't the issue. Is your /home separate or on the same file system?

Please Read Me

Comment

I have two 50 Gb OS partitions, one with Kub. 22.04, the other virtually empty, and a Data partition of ~ 160 Gb, with 333 Gb in it. The Kub. partition has some of my Data in it (I've stopped doing that, my mistake; I have to get that out to the Data partition). Stlll, I think something else is filling up that partition.

Comment

I haven't figured out how to say what Filelight tells us.

Comment

Just noticed something: I downloaded the online app Qortal, which took up almost 18 Gb, but it wasn't installed yet. Kub put it into a snap in /home, which I don't want. I removed it, now leaving me 18.6 free Gb of 47.7.

Comment

It looks like I've cleared out enough space for that not to b a problem for now. It looks like Firefox is taking up a huge amount of space, not sure. I'll address this and the remaining space users later. Thanks for all your help and for telling me about Firelight.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      You might try this for less output: du -h --max-depth=1 / 2>/dev/null | grep '[0-9\.]\+G'

For comparison, my Neon install:

/var 13.1g
                      /usr 14.3g
                      Now mine is
                      /var 9.9
                      /usr 8.5
                      both as before, but with other space hog eliminated.
                      Last edited by Snowhog; Nov 17, 2023, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RLynwood View Post
                        Just noticed something: I downloaded the online app Qortal, which took up almost 18 Gb, but it wasn't installed yet. Kub put it into a snap in /home, which I don't want. I removed it, now leaving me 18.6 free Gb of 47.7.
                        So your user's home dir is on the main OS partition.
                        You might consider moving it to one of your "Data" partitions, so it doesn't need to share space with your root.

Snap packages normally do not get installed to one's /home, but the data can, I believe. And I am going to guess that this application/server/whatever takes a TON of space for whatever it downloads and shares.

Comment

A TLUG friend member who helped me with this installation (I don't normally need help with OS instatllation; I had considerable complications, as you may have seen from my other posts here) suggested keeping the OS separate from the data in case of OS corruption or a need to replace it. I agreed with the idea. I have only one Data partition.
                          I certainly had nothing to do with the placement of the snaps; Kub put them where they put it, in /home, I guess. I'm not sure I understand your last sentence.

I love K[DE/Plasma]ubuntu, but I sure wish that, like Mint, they would ditch the snaps.

Comment

So do I - but to be completely fair I think if you had installed the program that was responsible (18 GB of data really is a lot to put into your /home for an initial installation…!) e.g. as a Flatpak (that is the "immutable" package format that most of the other distributions except *Ubuntu are using) instead of a Snap, it would also have put this amount of data into your /home.
                            I guess this is just how this program works…
                            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

When I downloaded Qortal, I had no idea that it--the installation files!--would take up that much space. If I had, I would have put it in Data, and that's what I will do because I really want that program running. You all should learn about it. It's a completely distributed, untrackable, internet-&-web site replacement. It's a relatively new project, having been begun around 2015, and nowhere nearly mature, let alone complete (they have huge, Amazon-like plans for it), but it's coming along quite well. I believe it's the future of public communication and commerce.
                              Yes, the only one of our TLUG who understands these containerized systems says that virtually everyone but Shuttleworth (who's invested in snaps up to his ears) agrees that Flatpak is superior. I don't know how to put Flatpaks into my system, do you?

Comment

Working...
                              X