Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's this McAffee notice that repeatedly keeps popping up in my System Tray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] What's this McAffee notice that repeatedly keeps popping up in my System Tray?

There are two forms: 1. "System is at risk!" and 2. "Turn on antivirus!". This started yesterday. Where is this coming from, is it legitimate (I seriously doubt it), and how do I eliminate it?

Also, I now have a blue icon also in the System Tray that has EN in it specifying English. Does it need to be therre (I doubt it)? Clicking on About tells me it's IBus, but why do I need it there?
    Last edited by RLynwood; Oct 24, 2023, 08:04 AM.

Originally posted by RLynwood View Post
    Also, I now have a blue icon also in the System Tray that has EN in it specifying English. Does it need to be therre (I doubt it)? Clicking on About tells me it's IBus, but why do I need it there?
    That is from the built in language/keyboard support. It can be turned off (right click, iirc), and/or hidden/disabled in the system tray settings (iirc). I think some settings tweak may trigger this to display, it may be a minor bug.

There are two forms: 1. "System is at risk!" and 2. "Turn on antivirus!". This started yesterday. Where is this coming from, is it legitimate (I seriously doubt it), and how do I eliminate it?
    No idea, without seeing it.
    Only thing off the top of my head I can think of is some website that you have allowed desktop notifications or popups for is sending you spam notifies or something.
    Again, you'd need to show us what you see.

Comment

I quit the EN icon. I hope that will be ok. What is iirc?
      I believe you're right. When I was trying to download a mp3 music file, I hit a page that I thought had to have notifications allowed, and I did. I'll try to fix that.
      Last edited by RLynwood; Oct 22, 2023, 06:37 PM.

Comment

What is iirc?
        "If I recall correctly" for lazy people who don't type fast

Comment

What is iirc?
          ha-ha. I often have the same problem -- about the acronyms/abbreviations. Google is your friend on these. In this case iirc = 'if I remember correctly' (I think!)
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

oops, the Boss already replied to you!
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thank you both, Claydoh & Qqmike. I assumed it was the name of something about the System Tray. That's why I asked.

Comment

Sounds like a browser exploit.

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove...r%20extensions.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you. But your link is for Windows, Mac, and Android, not "Linux." Do you have a link for us?

Comment

If it is what I think it is, RLynwood ...

On my Firefox, for example, Settings > Privacy and Security > Permissions > Notifications Settings, I can see the parties that have permission to drop notifications through my Firefox browser, and I can add/delete entries there. I have had a browser exploitation in the past, where naughty players inserted themselves into my Firefox Notifications, and I was able to delete them as I just explained.

Comment

(I just edited my post above to include Settings > Privacy and Security > Permissions > Notifications Settings)

Comment

Thanks. I just deleted what looks like the appropriate sites. Now I'll see if that solves it and post later.

Comment

OK, good! 👍

Comment

It's been about 24 hours without any malware notification, so I assume I've rooted out the problem Thank you so much for telling me how to eliminate that infestation.

Comment

Glad you got it! Starting "clean" again! ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X