Link dropped on desktop goes in wrong location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Link dropped on desktop goes in wrong location

When I drag-and-drop a URL link from Google Chrome onto the KDE desktop (and choose "Link here"), the icon goes to the first open slot on the top row, instead of the position where I dropped it.

Is there a way to get the icon to go where I put it (without needing to manually move it after finding it)?

On:

Linux MONOLITH 5.19.0-43-generic #44~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon May 22 13:39:36 UTC 2 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux​

Verify that you are using Desktop for Layout and not Folder View

Right-click on Desktop and click on Configure Desktop and Wallpaper

Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks Snowhog! It was indeed set to Folder View.

But - when I switch to Desktop view:

1 - All my desktop icons disappear from the desktop (they're still in ~/Desktop)
      2 - If I create new ones, I can't move them around at all. And I haven't figured out where new ones are stored (not in ~/Desktop).

Last edited by Dave92f1; Jun 14, 2023, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I believe Desktop view is blank. Folder view shows the Desktop folder full screen. In Desktop view you have to add Folder View widget and it contains the icons in the Desktop folder or whatever other folder you select.

So in Folder View, go to "Icons" and you'll see the only options are "Arrangement: Left to Right or Top to Bottom and Align Left or Align Right"

When I tested here, it put the URL icon right where I dropped and it's stuck there. Then to move it I have to enable "Edit Mode" and it lets me resize or move it.

Please Read Me

Comment

I'm not sure what you're doing when you say "choose Link Here".

I just highlighted the URL and dragged it to the Desktop. There was no dialog.

Please Read Me

Comment

Desktop layout does not show files on the desktop, only widgets - dragged text would become sticky notes, iirc. They aren't stored in files per se, but widget config files.
            Sticky notes, like any other widget, can be moved, but you do need to long-press on them until you get a popout bar

You will want to switch back to Folder View, your files will show again.

Now, with links, which are actual files, there is no way to 'freely' arrange them, it is going to act like a file manager window - because this is exactly what it is. You can drag them around afterward, but I see no way to do what you are looking for. It could be a bug, or something not implemented.

HOWEVER:
            Instead of using the Link option, just use the Copy one, it will drop the file wherever you have the mouse. Links are for actual files.

In later plasma versions, dragging seems to only do sticky notes for urls, at least from FF.
            Last edited by claydoh; Jun 14, 2023, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              I just highlighted the URL and dragged it to the Desktop. There was no dialog.
              cuz you are not on Plasma 5.24. it changes after that. There, you get the standard Dolphin copy/move/link file options
              Last edited by claydoh; Jun 14, 2023, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                cuz you are not on Plasma 5.24. it changes after that. There, you get the standard Dolphin copy/move/link file options
                Hmmm...
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230614_161929.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	671490

Please Read Me

Comment

I was testing things on 22.04, where things are working exactly as the OP describes.

So my statement still stands, at least partly.

In 22.04 and Plasma 5.24, Dragging and using the Link option in the automatic popup, puts web links at the topmost slot in a grid no matter where you drop it

Using the copy option allows you to drop it anywhere. The resultant files are identical .

I can't test in neon atm, my monitors are unfortunately open to a Citrix instance on a thin client. I'm supposed to be paying attention to a training session for work

In Fedora (5.27) on my laptop it behaves the same, though a couple of drags went to odd places away from mouse location when using Copy. All using the Link option went to the top left corner.
                  Last edited by claydoh; Jun 14, 2023, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Gotcha. I took your statement to mean the opposite.

Please Read Me

Comment

I am typing on mobile. I sure could have been dislexic. But on my bone stock 5.27 (Fedora) I wasn't even getting a menu when dropping, and that threw me off. I did ass-ume this was normal.

Comment

I'm the OP. Do I gather correctly from this discussion that this is normal/expected behavior for KDE Plasma 5.24.7 (what's in Kubuntu 2204 LTS)?

Does this work better on the latest Plasma version?

If not, I think I should file a bug report - things dropped on the desktop should go where they're put. (Please talk me out of this if you disagree.)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave92f1 View Post
                          (Please talk me out of this if you disagree.)
                          Only because 5.24 will never be updated. It is now unsupported by KDE since 5.27 became the current Plasma LTS version, so the fix is to upgrade to that.

However, does dragging and using the "copy" option instead of "link" work as you want? As I mentioned, this performs the same exact operation, and for whatever reason drops the file where you want.
                          Last edited by claydoh; Jun 23, 2023, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                            Only because 5.24 will never be updated. It is now unsupported by KDE since 5.27 became the current Plasma LTS version, so the fix is to upgrade to that.

However, does dragging and using the "copy" option instead of "link" work as you want? As I mentioned, this performs the same exact operation, and for whatever reason drops the file where you want.
                            Dragging using the "copy" option produces a file that contains the HTML of the website, instead of a link to the website (which I get with "Link Here"). So, not useful for this purpose.

Comment

Working...
                            X