• Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Problem resizing windows on laptop

Hi all,

Operating System: Kubuntu 22.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.7
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.92.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.3
    Kernel Version: 5.19.0-43-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11
    Processor: 1 × Intel® Core™ i3-3120M CPU @ 2.50GHz
    Memory: 7.6 GiB of RAM
    Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4000​

I have just discovered that I can no longer resize certain apps that are manually saved as a session. This resizing functionality no longer works with respect to the Maximize/Restore button located in an apps top right corner. This has happened after I recently started manually saving several apps/virtual desktops as a session.

Could this be the result of manually saving several apps/virtual desktops as a session ? If so, how can I re-establish the app/window resizing functionality for apps that are part of a session ?

Stuart
    Last edited by stuarte; Jun 13, 2023, 07:09 AM.

Is Settings --> Windows Behavior --> Windows Actions --> Meta --> Right Click set to "Resize"?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Good morning GreyGeek,

Thank you for your swift reply. I have just had a look at System Settings/Workspace/Window Management/Window Behaviour/Window Actions<tab> and found that Modifier Key: was set to Alt and Right click: was set to Resize.

First I tried Alt right click on the Maximize/Restore button on one of the affected windows. All that happened was that the double chevron on the button turned into a single chevron pointing upwards. The window did not resize.

I then changed the Modifier Key: (mentioned above) to Meta, saved that change, then tried once again to resize an affected window. Placing the mouse cursor on the Maximize/Restore button and holding down the Meta(Windows) button I can now manually resize an affected window using dragging. Subsequently, (left) clicking on the Maximize/Restore (without using the Meta key) I am now able to "snap" between a manually set smaller size and full screen, the very functionally I previously had.

Thank you very much for pointing me in just the right direction. Now, you don't happen to know a web site with lots of similar small tips, do you ?

Best regards and thanks again,

Stuart

Comment

I think your window decoration buttons may be mis-configured? I wonder which apps specifically are being affected?

Originally posted by stuarte View Post
        All that happened was that the double chevron on the button turned into a single chevron pointing upwards
        This is a clue, as the double-chevron is not a maximize or minimize button, but a 'keep above'.
        There is something wrong here, and I have no clue where to look, or why it is only affecting 'certain' things -- knowing which ones might present clues, as well. I suspect they may not be KDE programs?

Does reverting temporarily to NOT using a save session fix things?

You might look at your window decoration buttons and see if things are the way you want them to be.

This is the default setting, as well as descriptions for what each button does.:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230613_075442.png
Views:	97
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	671445

Comment

Have you tried a second user account? This sort of thing is often due to a bad or improper user setting.

Please Read Me

Comment

Good afternoon claydoh,

Thank you for your reply. The problem seems to have been solved by following the suggestion provided by user GreyGeek.

I think your window decoration buttons may be mis-configured?
            I am not sure what you mean by window decoration buttons. My problem was with the middle of the three buttons that appear at the right hand end of a window title bar. Depending on the status/size of the window, this button has a popup tool tip that says either Maximise (when the window is small; at this time the button displays a single upward pointing chevron) or Restore (when the window is full screen; at this time the button displays an upward pointing chevron immediately above a downward pointing chevron). It's a pity that I cannot take a screenshot with the mouse over the button so that you could see the popup tool tip.

I wonder which apps specifically are being affected?
            The apps affected were those that were members of a manually saved session. This process of manually saving multi-virtual-desktop (one full screen app per virtual desktop) is something that I only discovered and started using very recently. It was after this that the previous functionality of the button seemed to disappear.

This is a clue, as the double-chevron is not a maximize or minimize button, but a 'keep above'.
            This is curious. Please see the second paragraph above. Ah, I have just maximised your screenshot and now see how I have accidentally mislead you. I apoligise for using the term "double chevron". What I mean is the "square" icon which can be thought of as an upward pointing chevron balanced on top of a downward pointing chevron.

Does reverting temporarily to NOT using a save session fix things?
            I don't know. I haven't reverted anything. Please see my opening line.

You might look at your window decoration buttons and see if things are the way you want them to be.
            The entries in System Settings/Appearance/Global Theme/Window Decorations/TitleBar Buttons<tab> are the same as those in your screenshot. Please see the attached file "window_decoration_buttons.png". A problem here. I twice tried to attach the file but a dialog appeared saying that my session had time out and that I needed to log in again. However, scrolling to the top of the screen showed that I was still logged in. Curious.

Stuart

Comment

Good afternoon oshunluvr,

Where do I look for my user settings and what should they be ?

Never mind, I have found them.

Stuart
              Last edited by stuarte; Jun 13, 2023, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stuarte View Post
                The apps affected were those that were members of a manually saved session.
                But which ones specifically? Are all of them behaving like this 100%?

Gathering info and details for research.

Comment

Good evening claydoh,

The affected apps were those included in the manually saved session. Those were Dolphin, Kate, Konsole, and Okular. Yes, all exhibited the same lack of functionality with respect to the Maximise/Restore button at the right hand end of the app title bar.

Apps not part of the manually saved session (e.g. Firefox) were not affected.

Stuart

Comment

So, KDE applications, no Gtk or others.

I can't see reports of anything significantly similar, but I did find this one, with the unfortunate quote (from 2018):

Session restore is unmaintained. Please do not expect a bug fix anytime soon.
                    No idea if this is accurate, the poster is a developer.

There is the very logical followup question "why is it still there, then?"

Comment

Good morning claydoh,

So, KDE applications, no Gtk or others.
                      That is correct. AFAIK, I just use KDE apps as I prefer the Plasma DE.

Now, if you will excuse me, @ 00:10 a.m. it is time for bed.

Good night/morning claydoh.

Stuart

Comment

Working...
                      X