Clear All

[KDE] [Solved] How to save multiple desktops/workspaces

Good morning all,

Current system is :-

Operating System: Kubuntu 22.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.7
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.92.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.3
    Kernel Version: 5.19.0-43-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11
    Processor: 1 × Intel® Core™ i3-3120M CPU @ 2.50GHz
    Memory: 7.6 GiB of RAM
    Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4000​

I currently have four apps opened full screen on four of my six virtual desktops, one app per virtual desktop. Is there some way that this setup can be saved such that the next time that this laptop is booted it will start with the same apps opened full screen on the same virtual desktops ?

I vaguely remember reading somewhere recently that this was possible, or am I misremembering ?

Stuart

Have you tried System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Desktop Session and then check "When session was manually saved"

It will tell you to log out and back in, then set up your "session" and look for a menu enter that should appear in the Application launcher to "Save Session"

I do not use this feature and do not use virtual desktops so I have no idea if this works or not, butI don't think it would hurt to try.

Please Read Me

Comment

And if oshunluvr's suggestion does not work you could at least set window rules to always open certain applications on certain virtual desktops and in full screen…
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Good afternoon all,

@oshunluvr​: I have gone into System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Desktop Session and, under "When logging in:" I have now checked "Restore manually saved session".

I then did a further web search and found the advice given by @oshunluvr​ shown in screenshot form in the following web page.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/6333...-shutting-down

In order to create that session it was necessary to :-
        1) Open the chosen apps full screen on the various virtual desktops;
        2) Left click on the (K Gear) program launcher and then left click on the "Leave" button on its bottom line;
        3) Select "Save Session".

I then rebooted the system and, lo and behold, all apps opened full screen on their respective desktops. So simple when you know how.

To all who have responded, thank you for your suggestions/advice. It is all very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Stuart
        Last edited by stuarte; Jun 09, 2023, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X