Pop-Up Info for Icon only taskbar and Application menu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Pop-Up Info for Icon only taskbar and Application menu

When I mouse over a taskbar icon I want a simple text description of the application. I want this behavior for the icons in the application menu and favorites bar.

Where is this setting?​

Originally posted by Brickfoot View Post
    When I mouse over a taskbar icon I want a simple text description of the application
    I don't believe that there is such an option for the task manager, or for pinned apps or individual launcher icons added.
    Originally posted by Brickfoot View Post
    I want this behavior for the icons in the application menu and favorites bar.
    Same here, you can configure the classic style Application Menu to show titles/descriptions in-line, in various ordering, but not the mouseovers.
    I am guessing since the favorites bar has no text, that the mouseover shows the name as opposed to the description. The standard Application Launcher's Favorites section shows descriptions, as it shows text for the names.

There are numerous menu replacements available, though I have no idea if any of them will have this sort of feature. It seems like it would not be a difficult thing to 'hack' , other than finding the specific element of the qml code in the widget and change it to show the description instead of the name

Comment

Thank you so much for the help. I was sure I had poked around everywhere for the settings.

Comment

If you use "Application Dashboard" or "Application Menu" you can enable Descriptions as "Name (Description)" or "Description(Name)". It's only in "Application Dashboard" that I don't find that option.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20230116_091953.jpg Views:	0 Size:	37.3 KB ID:	667808

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          If you use "Application Dashboard" or "Application Menu" you can enable Descriptions as "Name (Description)" or "Description(Name)". It's only in "Application Dashboard" that I don't find that option.
          Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot_20230116_091953.jpg Views:	0 Size:	37.3 KB ID:	667808
          But that does not effect the classic Application Menu's Favorites bar, which uses no text

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230116_101654.png
Views:	106
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	667814
          But, since these are qml, which is kinda-sorta like html/css/javascript-y, it shouldn't be overly hard to figure out the part that dictates what is shown on mousover. A rabbit hole I need to avoid, since I do need to be working.

Comment

I'm sticking with the setting I found in System Settings; Workspace Behavior; and then under General Behavior the first option is Visual Behavior. The first checkbox is: Display informational tooltips on mouse-hover. There are some Desktop tooltips that get a little overwhelming but these are just the name.
            Thanks for the post, it's been awhile since I've been able check back on this topic; and now I'm marking it [SOLVED].

Comment

Working...
            X