• Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Partition issues after upgrade

Post upgrade:
    Operating System: Kubuntu 22.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.7
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.92.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.3
    Kernel Version: 5.15.0-56-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11
    Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5 CPU 660 @ 3.33GHz
    Memory: 5.7 GiB of RAM
    Graphics Processor: AMD CEDAR​

Two issues: a) automatic partition Label change b) swap partition does not show mount point (this may be how it should be?)

Today upgraded from 20.04 to 22.04 by the upgrade icon that appeared on desktop panel.
    Hard disk has three partitions. Apart from the active partition, there are two storage partitions for files one of them in is of extended type.

a) After upgrade it had problem mounting the main file partition (the extended type) and while clicking to mount it, it was first not possible, then the system automatically changed the partition label by adding "1" to it.
    This could only be seen on the navigation bar in dolphin. However on the left column of Dolphin where a list of devices are displayed, still the old label could be seen without the affix of "1".
    Partition Manager also showed the partition label as the original without the affix "1".
    Nevertheless, all the file shortcuts in the effected partition stopped working because in their property, the URL of the file being pointed at the file location needed to be corrected by adding "1" to the partition label in the file path...
    In Partition Manager I changed the label of the partition adding "1" so that could be seen changed in dolphin where device names are displayed. The partition mounts without problem.
    In partition Manager I changed the label back to the original name without the 1 to see if that will correct the issue. However in dolphin it mounted the partition again with the affix "1" displayed in the navigation full path while on the side in device names the original name was displayed (without affix "1"). If I edited the file path in the navigation bar by deleting the affix "1", then it showed that partition was not accessible.

I have now simply added the "1" affix to the partition label with partition manager and corrected all the 30 or so shortcuts one by one for things to work normally.
    But it is strange that it has done that, can someone explain what's happened.

b) should the swap partition be seen to have a mount point in partition manager, as it is currently showing "none" ?

I have also posted errors messages on black screen after reboot which appeared following the upgrade, see here:
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...-after-upgrade
    Last edited by blueberry; Dec 10, 2022, 06:31 AM. Reason: additional information

Could you post the output of lsblk -f and df -hT and swapon?
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

~$ lsblk -f

NAME FSTYPE FSVER LABEL UUID FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS

sda
      ├─sda1 ext4 1.0 42fd725c-5c4b-459c-840b-a46c5b0f74af 43G 52% /var/snap/firefox/common/host-hunspell
      │ /
      ├─sda2 ntfs Second 50A07594A07580F0
      ├─sda3 swap 1 d23a5cad-87b9-4d43-a231-eebe57f9356f [SWAP]
      ├─sda4
      └─sda5 ntfs Space1 E652B15D52B132E3 406.4G 43% /media/blue/Space1

~$ df -hT

Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
      tmpfs tmpfs 580M 1.8M 578M 1% /run
      /dev/sda1 ext4 101G 52G 44G 55% /
      tmpfs tmpfs 2.9G 1.4M 2.9G 1% /dev/shm
      tmpfs tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
      tmpfs tmpfs 580M 108K 580M 1% /run/user/1000
      /dev/sda5 fuseblk 712G 306G 407G 43% /media/blue/Space1

~$ swapon
      NAME TYPE SIZE USED PRIO
      /dev/sda3 partition 19.5G 3.3M -2

Last edited by blueberry; Dec 10, 2022, 07:13 PM. Reason: Corrected on feedback

Comment

1. You can't mount "Extended" partitions. They have no space for file systems on them. They only hold Logical partitions.
        2. SWAP partitions do not use physical mount points. They are either on or off. You cannot mount a swap partition because it's not really a file system.
        3. I've never heard of any upgrade - or anything else - "automatically" changing the label of a file system.

To see what your actual file system labels are, try this command: ls -l /dev/disk/by-label

Your posted output from lsblk looks odd, probably due to ho you pasted it. Next time you paste something, especially if it's long, use QUOTE or CODE block tags to translate the pasting better and allow scrolling of long text. You could have also trimmed out all the loop devices as they are not germane to your issue. All this combined makes it somewhat difficult to parse your post. For example, you pasted:

Code:
        sda5
        ntfs Space1
        E652B15D52B132E3 406.4G 43% /media/blue/Space1
        When it's actually:
        Code:
        sda5 ntfs Space1 E652B15D52B132E3 406.4G 43% /media/blue/Space1​​
        As lsblk labeled the columns:
        Code:
        NAME FSTYPE FSVER LABEL UUID FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS
        you are seeing:

NAME = sda5
        FSTYPE = ntfs
        FSVER = <no file system version for NTFS>
        LABEL = Space1
        UUID = E652B15D52B132E3
        FSAVAIL = 406.4G
        FSUSE% = 43%
        MOUNTPOINTS = /media/blue/Space1

I can only assume you are referring to the sda5 file system as having the "1" added because it's the only one with a label containing a 1. Since Partition Manager doesn't show this 1 you're referring to, I think maybe there's some confusion somewhere.

Compare the output of the above "ls" command with what you're seeing in Partition Manager and explain the problem again. Maybe you're looking at the Partition label (correctly referred to as "DEVICE NAME") rather than the File System label?

Besides, if the File System label actually did get changed somehow, why not just change it back? You have control over that.

If the DEVICE name changed - that you can't control. It normally wouldn't change unless the partitions were not created in numerical order, which can happen when using some older tools to delete and add partitions, or you added or removed a partition that changed the sequence.

You can fix the order if it's out of sequence, but I don't think you can force a device name change. Also, it's common that BOIS may change the order of the devices (SDA, SDB, etc.) but wouldn't change the partition NUMBERs. So if the BIOS swapped SDA with SDB, SDA3 would become SDB3, not some other number.
        Last edited by oshunluvr; Dec 10, 2022, 10:16 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Your posted output from lsblk looks odd, probably due to ho you pasted it.
          As well, lsblk is sensitive to the width of the konsole it is run in, and may give more readable output if run in a konsole more than 110 columns wide, or with -w 0
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Thank you for your feedback

I have corrected the format for lsblk -f as advised in the edited third post above.

Sorry for my confused writing, the partition that showed the problem was the logical partition sda5 which is under the extended sda4.

I did not know about SWAP partitions thank you for clarifying.

As explained, in this instance after the upgrade the partition sda5 labled “space” did not mount and during attempts to mount by clicking the icon in dolphin, while the partition mounted, in devices pan the label stayed the same: “space” and when checked in the partition manager it was also the original naming “space”, however in file paths and including dolphins file path field, it was changed automatically to space1 , and all shortcuts with “space” in them stopped, only working when I changed “space” in their file path to “space1”.

As you say I did try to change the lable with partition manager: first I changed it to “space1” and the partition mounted without problem. Then I changed it back to “space” as it was originally before the upgrade. In Dolphin it mounted but the file path again changed to space1.

When I edited the file path to “space” to be the same as the device label, it did not mount and only worked when changed back to “space1”. i.e while the device label was showing one name, the actual file paths had changed to another.

Therefore to be on the safe side, I changed the label of the logical partition with partition manager to space1. So now the partition manager shows it as space1 and in dolphin both under devices and the file path, it is space1 and there is no difference. I am still having to correct file and directory shortcuts one by one as I work...

While it has solved the problem for now - it doesn't explain why this happened. Hence, I posted the question fearing if it has gone wrong once it could go wrong again and I might lose the data in the partition (obviously I have made a backup but I don't update it all the time).

As to your other suggestions:

~$ ls -l /dev/disk/by-label
            total 0
            lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec 11 00:09 Second -> ../../sda2
            lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec 11 00:24 Space1 -> ../../sda5

~$ lsblk -w 0
            NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS

sda 8:0 0 931.5G 0 disk
            ├─sda1 8:1 0 102.5G 0 part /var/snap/firefox/common/host-hunspell
            │ /
            ├─sda2 8:2 0 97.7G 0 part
            ├─sda3 8:3 0 19.5G 0 part [SWAP]
            ├─sda4 8:4 0 1K 0 part
            └─sda5 8:5 0 711.8G 0 part /media/blue/Space1

Comment

Thank you for clarifying and updating your post.

Well that is certainly very odd that something changed your file system label without asking or at least notifying you but it is clear that it happened. I wonder if it has to do with it being NTFS - not a Linux file system? I couldn't find any other complaints about that on the web so it must not be wide spread. I do label my file systems but don't mount using them, although there is a case for doing that.

Fingers crossed it won't continue to happen, but if it does, like I said. it's much simpler to change it back rather than edit all the fstabs or other locations that refer to it. https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages...fslabel.8.html

I'd am very curious as to why this happened. Obviously, update here if it happens again. None of my business, but I assume you are using NTFS because you're sharing the drive with windows? Otherwise, it's a poor choice for a file system.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
              X