This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Application Menu Oddities

So, the Application (start) Menu can be arranged to show large icons in a grid instead of a list, which I tend to prefer. The grid ignores subfolders in the list and just shows everything in the parent. This is fine. But I noticed when upgrading that the Application Menu will not show any sub-folders that I created back in earlier versions. They are present in the editor, they are present in the "Open with..." context menu dialogue, but they are not present in the Application Menu when you click the start button.

This only happened after upgrading to 22.04. It was working as expected in 21.10. It happened with both an in-place upgrade and subsequent clean install.

My home folder was leftover from 21.10 to keep configurations and settings as I figured there is unlikely to be much change between Plasma 5.22 and 5.24. Perhaps I am mistaken in that assumption. I do have a lot of custom entries as I use a lot of appimages or stand alone programs so I really don't want to delete my home folder and start afresh.

There are a few secondary startup problems after login that may be related:

1. Custom start scripts don't want to launch using the settings manager

2. Local config files do not get applied on login when they used to in 21.10, EG:
    ------ a) pulse audio will not apply its local settings until it is restarted manually
    ------ b) the local .nvidia-setting-rc will not be applied until the config manager is launched from the desktop.

So... is this due to something leftover from the previous 21.10 home folder? Is this now normal behavior due to changes? These things are not huge. Restarting pulse is easy enough, and its only a minor gamma tweak for one of my monitors in the nvidia config.. but still... there seems to be a problem somewhere.

Oh, and I am not sure if this has any bearing, but I mounted my SSD to /home/shad instead of just /home/ (I figured mine is only ever going to be the only account on this machine so what does it matter, but maybe it does).

If your home was /home/shad before and now it's /home, this could cause all kinds of problems. Heck, even if it was that why before, many things won't work.
    IMO, the default file/folder locations arrangement is something that should not be mucked with unless there's a very specific and well thought out reason, and even then only it you're very sure of what you are doing.
    It seems highly probable that your start up issues are related to your nonstandard​ configuration. For example, it's likely that pulse audio reads/writes it's user config file to "/home/$USER/ but when you launch it manually, you're launching it using /home/

Also, a trouble shooting technique is to create a new user and see if the problematic behavior exists when use the new user account. Your setup negates that possibility.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      It seems highly probable that your start up issues are related to your nonstandard​ configuration. For example, it's likely that pulse audio reads/writes it's user config file to "/home/$USER/ but when you launch it manually, you're launching it using /home/
      No, my path is still /home/$USER for everything. /home still exists on the other partition and new users will all be created on the main partition as /home/$NEWUSER as if the /home/shad mounted partition were simply another user folder. This was the same way it was mounted in 21.10 that worked fine. I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it, now that I think about, it as its irrelevant... mounting partitions in this manner is the entire point of of Linux partitioning scheme.

Something else is going on. DKMS seems to be semi-borked when the system itself restarts after a kernel update. It did not trigger as it should have to compile my wifi driver as it always has in other versions. And that has nothing to do with my user folder. It almost seems like an environment variable(s) is not set.

Comment

So, it seems KStart Menu has indeed changed. I discovered there is a "show alternatives" context menu item, and when you do that, you can find the new version of the old style cascading menus. However, favorites is now a list of icons down the side, which means I had to cull some as the menu was way too long.

Comment

Working...
        X