Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to order commands? update, upgrade, etc.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

beginning in 21.10 Ubuntu started using a new feature of apt for Phased Updates.
    Some updates will only go out to a small random portion of people at first.
    Then they will be released to the general public some days later if there are no issues.

People who normally update using Discover or other GUI tools simply never see this sort of messaging.
    Is there anything i can do so there is no Google Earth error, no GPG error: ?
    displays error using Discover
    displays error using Terminal command, see below

Code:
    sudo apt update

[sudo] password for x:
    Hit:1 https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com stable InRelease
    Hit:2 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy InRelease
    Get:3 http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb stable InRelease [1,807 B]
    Hit:4 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates InRelease
    Hit:5 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-backports InRelease
    Err:3 http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb stable InRelease
    The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available:
    NO_PUBKEY 4EB27DB2A3B88B8B
    Hit:6 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-security InRelease
    Reading package lists... Done

W: GPG error: http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb stable InRelease:
    The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available:
    E: The repository 'http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb stable InRelease' is not signed.
    N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
    N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

​Program:
    Google Earth Pro 7.3.3.7786 (64-bit)
    Build Date Tuesday, July 21, 2020 6:14:07 PM UTC

--

Comment

To fix the NO_PUBKEY open a konsole and type: sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key 4EB27DB2A3B88B8B
      Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 27, 2022, 07:00 AM. Reason: corrected command option
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by joseph22 View Post
        Luckily, this one is one of the easier errors to find and fix.

Google need to fix their stuff, though

Comment

Google need to fix their stuff, though
          'need' doesn't mean 'will', and with Google, it likely means "won't", more so given that this has been going on for quite awhile now.

Comment

Actually....... dang Debian changing stuff up......

The Ubuntu version matters here:

Warning: apt-key is deprecated. Manage keyring files in trusted.gpg.d instead (see apt-key(8)).
            Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.oPmoTUpq7G/gpg.1.sh --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys​ 4EB27DB2A3B88B8B
            invalid option "--recv-keys​"

Which is odd. I don't see a typo??

Might have to do it like so:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 4EB27DB2A3B88B8B

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              'need' doesn't mean 'will', and with Google, it likely means "won't", more so given that this has been going on for quite awhile now.
              No, just that Google Earth is one of the Dead Google Projects, at least on Linux -- hasn't been updated in a few years now. This specific pubkey error has been happening for a while now, on top of the aging packaging.

Comment

Many reports started coming in of folks not getting updates, still being stuck on the previous Plasma version, and broken deps. All from using plain 'upgrade'. So they (Probably Harald, I bet ) took a small hammer to things lol.
                What was that you're hinting about? Are there any details available?

of course the downside is that there are those who will squeal at you if you suggest using apt in Neon,
                I've been squealed at for suggesting for Ubuntu it's better to do apt full-upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade.

Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                  I've been squealed at for suggesting for Ubuntu it's better to do apt full-upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade.
                  Which again, points to the ignorance of those doing the squealing. If one only ever uses apt upgrade or apt-get upgrade, the probability that their system will start exhibiting issues increases. Even the man page for apt explains that:
                  upgrade (apt-get(8))
                  upgrade is used to install available upgrades of all packages currently installed on
                  the system from the sources configured via sources.list(5). New packages will be
                  installed if required to statisfy dependencies, but existing packages will never be
                  removed.
                  If an upgrade for a package requires the remove of an installed package the
                  upgrade for this package isn't performed.

full-upgrade (apt-get(8))
                  full-upgrade performs the function of upgrade but will remove currently installed
                  packages if this is needed to upgrade the system as a whole.​
                  The 'will never be removed' is the part that can contribute to issues down the line, eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                    What was that you're hinting about? Are there any details available?
                    This was back in neon's early days, on the 2016 base. I will dig a little. I was kinda there, but didn't take notes.

Some people do like to squeal when their tails get stepped on, even if they just think it is happening.

https://blog.neon.kde.org/2017/06/16...test-software/
                    This was after I think that they got tired of dealing with the problems. And by They, I mean mostly just the two main devs.

I definitely don't have any irc or matrix logs from back then, but the issue was nearly a daily one
                    There were a few in KDE's forums, and I am sure Reddit was full of them as well (and with the most squealers these days)
                    I am positive my comments on these instances are numerous.

Last edited by claydoh; Sep 26, 2022, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Which again, points to the ignorance of those doing the squealing. If one only ever uses apt upgrade or apt-get upgrade, the probability that their system will start exhibiting issues increases. Even the man page for apt explains that:

The 'will never be removed' is the part that can contribute to issues down the line, eventually.
                      Sure, and on a normal Ubuntu, and even a normal Kubuntu desktop nowadays - particularly LTS users, Apt has changed enough from the Olden Times that this sort of situation is not likely to happen at all (the need for package removal), or extremely rarely-- until one adds PPAs and other things that create major, regular upgrades between releases. Like KDE Neon, or Kubuntu backports.

A vast majority of people are probably never going to have an issue using plain old upgrade.

We need to find where in any documentation, where it specifies any specific method for the command line.

ubuntu server definitely specifies using upgrade.
                      https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/package-management

But of course there is no command line documentation for updating the desktop.

Of course, we know Kubuntu and how most of our users do things, and that full-upgrade is not bad or harmful.
                      When a squealer has a system go boom, we point them in the right direction, maybe explain why, and never, I mean never have an I-told-you-so

Comment

To fix the NO_PUBKEY open a konsole and type:
                        sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys​ 4EB27DB2A3B88B8B

computer update done
                        computer upgrade done
                        computer Restart was done

still an error:

Is there anything i can do to fix error ?
                        fix invalid option "--recv-keys"

Code:
                        sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 4EB27DB2A3B88B8B
                        Warning: apt-key is deprecated.
                        Manage keyring files in trusted.gpg.d instead (see apt-key(8)).
                        Executing:
                        /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.qO6y98nxrj/gpg.1.sh --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 4EB27DB2A3B88B8B
                        invalid option "--recv-keys"

Google Earth Pro
                        7.3.3.7786 (64-bit)

Build Date
                        Tuesday, July 21, 2020 6:14:07 PM UTC

Renderer
                        OpenGL

Operating System
                        Linux (5.15.0.0)

Graphics Driver
                        Intel

Maximum Texture Size
                        16384×16384

Available Video Memory
                        information not available

Server
                        kh.google.com

Comment

A Warning isn't an Error. See https://itsfoss.com/apt-key-deprecated/

The key should have been imported.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph22 View Post
                            fix invalid option "--recv-keys"
                            Try --recv-key

Code:
                            sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key 4EB27DB2A3B88B8B
                            Warning: apt-key is deprecated. Manage keyring files in trusted.gpg.d instead (see apt-key(8)).
                            Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.hcGUxbMyqf/gpg.1.sh --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key 4EB27DB2A3B88B8B
                            gpg: key 7721F63BD38B4796: "Google Inc. (Linux Packages Signing Authority) <linux-packages-keymaster@google.com>" not changed
                            gpg: Total number processed: 1
                            gpg:              unchanged: 1
                            ​

Please Read Me

Comment

• Snowhog
                              Snowhog commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks! I corrected my post.

I got pkcon working. I did two things at once so I'm not sure which worked or if both were needed. Web searching revealed two suggestions:

Disable NetworkManager:
                            Code:
                            sudo systemctl disable NetworkManager
                            and edit /etc/PackageKit/PackageKit.conf and add this line:
                            Code:
                            UseNetworkManager = false

Didn't help initially, but the info regarding the systemctl change included the advice to reboot (which I rarely find necessary - this ain't Winblows...) so I did the first edit and tried pkcon, then the second edit and tried pkcon, no joy either time. Then I rebooted and now it works. There's probably some way to make PackageKit reload it's options that would have worked instead of a reboot.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                              This is a desktop machine and my network connections are static and wired. I don't need a "manager", lol
                              A "manager" could still be useful for managing vpn connections, for example (not that you necessarily need it, but it'll make it easier).

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                              If you already fetched the key, you can get rid of this warning by exporting the key into a separate file in trusted.gpg.d, for example:
                              Code:
                              sudo apt-key export D38B4796 | sudo gpg --dearmor -o /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/googlekey.gpg
                              ​

Sort of future proofing, as the warning says apt-key is deprecated, so it might get removed at a future date
                              Last edited by kubicle; Sep 27, 2022, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X