Wallpaper won't change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ABANDONED] Wallpaper won't change

Has anyone else experienced this? I try to change the desktop wallpaper (Configure Desktop and Wallpaper), and I can change it to any of the Kubuntu "pre-loads," but not to any image that I include through the (+Add Image...) button. Nothing happens, even though I can see the image I've added. It may be a question of spaces available. There are lots of the pre-loaded wallpapers that I will never use. Is there any way to get rid of them?
    Thanks.

Hi Don,

I'm not sure why your added pictures will not show but if you want to try to delete a few of the native ones you will have to open Dolphin in (root) mode. Which the stock system does not allow at present. They are found in
    Code:
     /usr/share/wallpapers
    You can open Dolphin as root by entering this script in a terminal (I make a shortcut entry in the menu)
    Code:
    pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true dolphin
    (Note: Be very careful with this as you can delete stuff that will stop the system from working.)

What format are the photos in that you are trying to use as wallpaper?
    Last edited by kc1di; Sep 23, 2022, 04:10 AM.
    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

All my photos are jpeg. I can convert them, of course, but the weird thing is that I've used them all before, for years.

Comment

It's a two-step process. Click on the picture you want then click Open. That selected picture is now in the Wallpaper selection page. Click it and click Apply and then OK. Done.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, I know. Problem is, when I click on the picture, although the frame around it indicates that I have selected it, there is no "open" button; all I have is Apply and OK. Sometimes those work; sometimes they don't. I've at least got it to a place I can deal with for now. I moved some pictures into /usr/share/wallpapers.

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
            All my photos are jpeg. I can convert them, of course, but the weird thing is that I've used them all before, for years.
            Yep, .jpg should work. Your not running short of disc space are you?
            I Can't believe deleteing or removing the orignals would do much good if you have plenty of disc space. It must be something else.
            I might try reinstall plasma-desktop see if that works.

Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

I'm only using about 300G of my 1.5T drive. I'll look up how to reinstall the desktop. (I should know, but I was never too bright to begin with.) Thanks for staying with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
                Yes, I know. Problem is, when I click on the picture, although the frame around it indicates that I have selected it, there is no "open" button; all I have is Apply and OK.
                What Global Theme are you using?

Comment

Kubuntu. Think changing themes might do it?

Comment

Try switching to Breeze (which is the default). Not all Themes are created equal. You might also want/need to change the Plasma Style (I opt to make both the same).
                    Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 23, 2022, 07:25 AM.

Comment

I've horsed around with both settings; performance is still on and off.

Comment

Kinda sounds like a permissions problem. Check your home folder and make sure nothing in there is owned by root

Please Read Me

Comment

Nope. It's all mine.

Comment

Let's be clear. When you click on the + Add Image... button, there isn't an Open and Cancel button in the bottom right of the window? (The Title Bar will say Open Image -- Plasma)

Comment

Snowhog,
                              No, I can add the images to my Desktop Folder Settings/Wallpaper group. I do see Open in the Add Images box. The difficulty is that once I've done that, when I then highlight the desired image and click Apply or OK, nothing changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X