Application widgets don't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Application widgets don't work

If I right click an application and select "Add to Panel (widget)", the resulting widget in the panel does not work. If clicked on, a "blank file" icon appears in the panel and quickly closes, and nothing happens.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Thwompin; Sep 11, 2022, 05:02 PM.

Which version of Kubuntu are you using? It's working well on my 22.04 (updated) here. No problem. So give us a little more to go on, thanks.
    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

I'm going to assume you're using 22.04, but where and how are you right-clicking on an application to select "Add to Panel" ?

Please Read Me

Comment

The simplest way to accomplish this is to launch the application, then right-click on the icon in the Panel and click Pin to Panel (or words to that effect).
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I get nothing about pinning to any Panel. That's why I asked for more info. Here, I can pin to the Task Manager, but the Panel only accepts widgets AFAIK.

Please Read Me

Comment

Ahh, I am using the "Application Dashboard" and it doesn't allow pinning Applications to the panel unless you go into the Applications list. If I switch to either of the alternatives - Application Launcher or Application Menu - they appear to allow pinning to the panel directly from the menu.

Please Read Me

Comment

BTW, using Application Launcher, I had no trouble pinning an Application to the Task Manager.

Please Read Me

Comment

I am back on Kubuntu, I am sorry for not following up on this thread! I was busy and distrohopping like crazy.
                I am happy to see that my other issues with Kubuntu 22.04 no longer happen as of 22.04.2, but this one is still happening.
                I initially tried doing this right after I installed the system and it worked, but after I installed all my software it no longer works.
                Here's a video demonstrating this issue: https://files.catbox.moe/fnad1h.mp4

The software I installed: Steam, qBittorrent, mpv, psensor, gimp, kdenlive, gnome disk utility, gsmartcontrol, OBS Studio, Steam, nvme-cli. I have a suspicion Steam triggered it, but I don't know for sure.

And if you're wondering why I want to use this widget feature, it's because I find it useful to create "launcher" type icons that let me open multiple instances of an application.

Edit: it turns out I can just middle click to achieve the same effect, oh well
                Last edited by Thwompin; Apr 10, 2023, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Something is definitely busted.
                  Of course, it works for me.

But it also works simply using drag-and-drop onto the panel from the menu, but DON"T drag it onto the task manager section. That pins it there. Dragging it anywhere else on the panel will create a widget. Either directly to the right of the start menu (the task manager widget will slide out of the way) or near the systray. Then it should be a widget, and you can place it where you want (except inside the Task Manager of course.)

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    Something is definitely busted.
                    Of course, it works for me.

But it also works simply using drag-and-drop onto the panel from the menu, but DON"T drag it onto the task manager section. That pins it there. Dragging it anywhere else on the panel will create a widget. Either directly to the right of the start menu (the task manager widget will slide out of the way) or near the systray. Then it should be a widget, and you can place it where you want (except inside the Task Manager of course.)
                    I managed to make a widget by dragging and dropping, but it's broken in the same way.

Comment

The problem was wslu which hijacks and breaks links to other things, no idea why. I removed wslu and the problem seems to be gone.
                      wslu is installed as a dependency of gimp-help-en which is recommended by the system as a language pack after you install gimp. If the system asks you to install language packs after removing wslu, it will be reinstalled unless you have another package that meets a condition gimp-help-en needs.
                      Read top answer here for more info: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1410...es-do-not-open
                      Last edited by Thwompin; Apr 12, 2023, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks for letting us know.
                        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Working...
                        X