X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an folder/icon appearance issue

Hello everyone!

I am trying out Kubuntu 21.10 and I have an icon issue concerning file folders. When I create a new file and say, save it to my desktop, it will look like the screenshot below. Likewise, if I go to the kde setting and say, change the appearance of something I want (example: themes), when I click on it, it looks like the screenshot below (2nd shot).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220128_202550.png
Views:	141
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	660250 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220128_203005.png
Views:	145
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	660251

This while in the live usb. I don't really want to install this until I find a way to solve this. As you can see, I have these lines to the right of the icons. I have no idea how to correct this problem.

Pretty old computer, but everything seems to work fine (Dell Optiplex-755 duo core).

Thanks for the help/suggestions in advance!

firefighter
    Attached Files

How much ram? How much is dedicated to graphics, assuming on-board GPU that is ~15 years old?
    Does this happen on a fresh live session, with completely stock wallpapers and desktop settings?

There are going to be some differences between bare metal and live sessions, as the live one is running in ram. I can see this explaining some anomalies, particularly with customizing the look etc.
    But I am leaning towards the ancient Intel graphics (3100) not supporting opengl 2.
    You might try toggling off desktop effects (alt-shift-f12), or switch the compositor to xrender (software) if available, and see if this changes anything. I can't think of any particular effect or animation/shadowing that is specifically for icons, so I am
    As a side note, the ancient xrender compositor was removed in Plasma 5.23, so if this does fix it for you, and things are the same on a normal install, you might lose the fix if you upgrade Plasma. Not sure if the system would default to disabling effects in this case or not.

Comment

claydoh

I think that you have hit the nail on the head. Old computer. I have upgraded the ram to 8gigs, and have installed two 500g ssd hardrives. It works fine with mate, xfce, & also back in the day with KDE. I reckon I will have do do without KDE. Really liked using it when I could. Was hoping that I still could, now that it is so "lean". KDE really used alot of ram back in the day.

Machine: Type: Desktop System: Dell product: OptiPlex 755 v: N/A serial: <filter> Chassis:
      type: 6 serial: <filter>

Mobo: Dell model: 0GM819 serial: <filter> BIOS: Dell v: A22 date: 06/11/2012
      CPU: Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 Duo E8400 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Penryn rev: A
      L2 cache: 6144 KiB
      flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 11969
      Speed: 2992 MHz min/max: N/A Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2992 2: 2992

Graphics: Device-1: Intel 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics vendor: Dell OptiPlex 755
      driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:29b2

Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: intel unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa
      compositor: marco resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
      OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Q35 v: 1.4 Mesa 21.0.3 direct render: Yes

Audio: Device-1: Intel 82801I HD Audio vendor: Dell Optiplex 755 driver: snd_hda_intel
      v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 chip ID: 8086:293e
      Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-96-generic

Network: Device-1: Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network vendor: Dell OptiPlex 755 driver: e1000e
      v: 3.2.6-k port: ecc0 bus ID: 00:19.0 chip ID: 8086:10bd
      IF: enp0s25 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>

Drives: Local Storage: total: 931.52 GiB used: 35.09 GiB (3.8%)
      ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Crucial model: CT500MX500SSD1 size: 465.76 GiB speed: 3.0 Gb/s
      serial: <filter>
      ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Crucial model: CT500MX500SSD1 size: 465.76 GiB speed: 3.0 Gb/s
      serial: <filter>

Comment

KDE (now Plasma 5) is no longer the resource hog it was once known for. 8G of RAM is plenty. Composting can be turned off as well. I would suspect the video. There's cutting edge Intel video drivers available that you could try after installation.

Please Read Me

Comment

So disabling desktop effects didn't help here? Mate and Xfce don't make use of opengl for things like animation, blur, transparency, etc.
          but really, the only way to know for sure is to do a bare metal install, tbh.

This may or may not be of relevance, but if you are using 21.10, your kernel version should be 5.13. Are you actually running 21.10, or an older 20.04 iso?
          Originally posted by FireFighter View Post
          Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-96-generic

Originally posted by FireFighter View Post
          Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: intel unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa
          Also, one slightly possible remedy *might* be to force the use of the modesetting Intel driver as seen in the second answer here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1234...intel-graphics
          Not sure if any of the suggestions there are useful for this specific problem, or are useful in a live environment.

Comment

Oshunluvr, claydoh,

Sorry about the delay in responding to you all's newest post. I have been working 12+ hour shifts and really haven't had the time to get back to this.

Just an update: Thank you for you suggestions. What I have tried is installing and trying out Lubuntu. Boy, I really like the speed, but either I don't know all the tweaks or feel limited on what I can modify in the distro itself. Not as skilled as you all are with terminal and such.

Just an observation, in Lubuntu, the icon view problem is minor. When I open up Discover (which is "glitchy" for some reason on my computer), the icon in the program highlighted does this. Only if it is highlighted though. Food for thought anyway. That is the only place where this seems to happen in Lubuntu. Don't quite understand that; you would think it would be system wide.

I am thinking about going ahead and installing Kubuntu, as suggested, and with your help, try to get this issue taken care of.

Thanks again.

Comment

Sorry I have taken so long to get back about this problem. I have Kubuntu installed. I have disabled compositor completely, didn't work, enabled it again and tried the different backend render options, none of the options have worked. Checked for drivers in the driver manager. It says no proprietary drivers are being used and didn't offer me any options there.

claydoh, I am using 21.10 Kubuntu.

Suggestions are welcomed!
              Last edited by FireFighter; Feb 06, 2022, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X