Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automate system files changes and run commands.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automate system files changes and run commands.

Hi, I'm a new kubuntu user since 01/01/2022 😊
    I tried a long time ago to move to Linux more than once, but resigned because a lot of things. I tried Linux mint, ubuntu, debian... But I did not understand how everything worked, searched the Internet for answers and broke the os... everytime 😂
    I have installed a yunohost server last year and learnt a lot from the forum and the tutorials. So I feel a lot more confortable with the Linux system.
    I knew about kubuntu recently and found it amazing.
    But...
    As a Windows user, I was accustomed with some aspects of the os (essentially the smb that isn't working out of the box, and computer names in the network not showing for windows pcs making me use the ip address, since I have 4 other windows pcs in the network and I'm planning the transition over a long period of time, and I can't reinstall all of them now till I fix some hardware issues one pc at a time) and as a French user the keyboard behaviour was a bit confusing. And other things....

Fixing these issues took me a few days and a lot of searching till I got the correct commands (that worked for me, till I learn more) to get the fixes.

My question is :
    Is there a tool in which I can add functions (for example "Fix smb") and it takes care of running some commands, looks into the file /etc/samba/smb.conf for "browseable = no" and changes it to "browseable = yes" (in the correct section if possible), shows the output of the commands, asks for input (for example password or ip address), etc...

I hope I have been clear.
    Thanks for helping me.

...and broke the os... everytime
    Anybody that claims they haven't done this many times is not telling the truth, LOL. I should change my sig to "Breaking Linux installations for more than 25 years..."

As far as your question - in a nutshell, no. There may be some tools like that, but not many and they might not apply to your situation. For example, Network Manager can handle changing various NIC settings almost always (but I don't use it).

What there is a a very powerful set of tools available to you so that you can create you own tools. sed, awk, find, rsync, and a bunch of others that when brought together in a bash script can do laborious tasks perfectly every time. I have been automating things for years this way; snapshots, backups, monitor configs, even remotely opening my DVD drive.

Specific to SAMBA: https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/fi...iguring-samba/

Webmin is pretty slick and easy to use and has a crap-ton of other features besides just SAMBA config. However, to be fair, configuring SAMBA is a P.I.T.A. and nowadays even from the Winblows 10 side. Good luck with that!

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      I read about bash yesterday. It's so powerful, I'm sure after more learning I can get a lot of work done through bash.
      About smb, all I need is my new Linux sees other machines in the network, I will not share anything from Linux. I'll use Nextcloud for synchronisation (since my server is at home, I have good connection speed) .

Anybody that claims they haven't done this many times is not telling the truth, LOL
      😂 That's cool and frightening. I didn't think about system backup till now.

New tasks :
      • Learn bash
      • Look for system backup or snapshot solution
      I have installed vscodium to edit hugo websites and found it very convenient. I think it will be as good for editing bash scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarod5001 View Post
        New tasks :
        • Learn bash
        That's a long learning curve, but this forum is very patient and helpful with questions about bash scripting, so don't hesitate to ask us about something that you have difficulty with.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

I learned a LOT about using bash on stackexchange and a few other sites, and shout-out to jlittle for helping me many times over the years.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X