This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Fingers crossed as I type this

It's hard typing with your fingers crossed, but it must be done! That's because I'm very worried about jinxing myself.

My year+ saga with System76 Gazelle laptops may finally be resolved. You'll note I'm on the 21.10 board, not 20.04LTS as before. There's a long story there, which I'll skip. Bottom line, I'm now on my THIRD Gazelle (fourth if you count the loaner I've had for almost a year); it arrived on February 8th, I fired it up the following morning, it ran perfectly all day long....and then froze.

I shut it down and put it to bed. To say I was shaking my head in disbelief is just too much of an understatement. However, I thought, you know, maybe it was just a fluke... I turned it back on the following morning--and it's been running without issue ever since!

It's [yet] another brand-new, 17.3" Gazelle, custom-configured per my specifications, including my preferred partitioning scheme and the installation of Kubuntu (keep in mind S76 typically only installs Pop or Ubuntu).

So here we are. If it locks up now, it will definitively prove that posting on KFN is the culprit!
    Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Mar 27, 2022, 02:56 PM.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Well-l-l-l-l, I worked with a person who had the ability to literally kill electronics just by touching them. She killed at least two desktop computers and damaged our large capacity, high-speed printer at least once. I ended up attaching static discharge lines to her computer and the printer. So, it could be you. Just say'n.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog do you have any recollection of the things my mother could do--that I'd never seen in decades of computing?! Couldn't blame static for that, though...it was user error, plain and simple!

As for me being the cause, nah, I'm sticking with posting on KFN. It's a good hypothesis. Why throw it away?
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

A 'blast from the past': https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...083#post150083

A Diblite can do weird things. Again, just say'n.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          A 'blast from the past': https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...083#post150083

A Diblite can do weird things. Again, just say'n.
          Excellent!

Comment

Hey, Snowhog, that link you posted above says I am not authorized to view it! (A private joke between you and DYK?)

Anyway, I am a person who can walk up to a monitor that is misbehaving, touch it, and have it instantly begin working fine. (Hint: a little shuffle of the feet on the way to the ailing monitor is the trick )
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GreyGeek You should be able to view it; anyone should be able to. I’ll look into it.

Comment

Here's a not-quite-one-month update: NO PROBLEMS. At all! Considering the long, convoluted road it took to get to this point, it certainly seemed like it was hopeless at times. But--right now--things are great!

Today I finally opened the box of a new Transcend external drive I'd ordered a few weeks ago. It's a 1TB drive, and it's currently having some files copied to it. I formatted it to ext4, wiping the useless window$ files that came with it. My other, older Transcend drives served me quite well, so I'm looking forward to a long relationship with this one!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  Hey, Snowhog, that link you posted above says I am not authorized to view it!
                  I just tested accessing that link with my KFN testing user account (Registered usergroup member, with no posts to it's credit) and as a non-logged in 'guest'. Both were able to access that link just fine. So I guess it was you, for whatever reason, and not us.

Comment

The link worked for me. Speaking of which ... we haven't heard from dibl in quite a while.
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                      The link worked for me. Speaking of which ... we haven't heard from dibl in quite a while.
                      Not since Aug 25, 2020.
                      His genealogy website is here, which his site creator updated it just today.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                        I just tested accessing that link with my KFN testing user account (Registered usergroup member, with no posts to it's credit) and as a non-logged in 'guest'. Both were able to access that link just fine. So I guess it was you, for whatever reason, and not us.
                        NOW, I can see it! What did you unknowingly do? (Obviously if it was unknowingly done you wouldn't know about it! )

Comment

• Snowhog
                          Snowhog commented
                          Editing a comment
                          In vBulletin 5 there are Permissions for Channels (Forums/sub-forums) and for Usergroups. Getting permissions right for both can get screwed up (by the person setting up the permissions!). It's a challenge, at least for me, and I sometimes get it wrong. That's where I depend on stalwart members (like yourself) to let me know 'something taint right!' so I can investigate and fix my faux pas.

I've been so on edge, expecting a problem to appear, that I haven't really gotten down to business yet with the new, new, new laptop. I'm finally bringing its directories and files up to snuff, copying from backups on external drives. I had also backed up everything in 'the cloud' (Amazon Drive to be specific), just in case there were any problems with external drives. I've always believed in a redundant backup scheme, and I still think it's a smart way to do things, even when--like now--one backup source proves to be sufficient.

When I'm done copying everything from one specific external drive, I'm going to retire it. There's still a good deal of space on it, but I like starting fresh every so often, and that's what the Transcend drive is for.

Comment

It's been almost two months now, with the new laptop under normal daily use--with absolutely *no* problems. It's funny that the very first day I had it, it locked up--just like its predecessor, the one that started all this, always did. But after that ONE freeze-up, not another glitch or hiccup. I'm happy to report that it now looks like this case is closed....

Comment

As Snowhog said, probably a Diblite, or my favorite, a cosmic ray!

Comment

Working...
                            X