This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: apt-get / adept problems

Input/output error. Context: getting file information for /var/lib/debtags/pkgidx.idx
    There are three index files used by apt, this is one of them. The other is package-tags.idx and the third is vocabulary.idx, although that one (base on my system) hasn't been updated since 2007-04-17, while the other two have today's date/time stamp on them. I'm thinking that it (pkgidx.idx), if not both, is/are corrupt. If I were experiencing this problem, I'd rename these files (as root) to pkgidx.idx_NOT_WORKING and package-tags.idx_NOT_WORKING and then retry to run apt-get update and see if the index's aren't recreated. You've nothing to loose by trying.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by varg

isn't dpkg needed to install stuff? and wouldn't that make the apt-get install dpkg useless? :P
      Yep -- that's why it might just implode. Try Snowhog's suggestion first -- I like the looks of it.

Usually when something breaks it's my fault, but this time i can't recall me doing anything strange..
      In a year of running Dapper, Edgy, Feisty, and Gutsy, I have not seen a dpgk breakage like this one -- so I dunno ... let's just say a tiny meteoroid pierced the cable on your roof right when you were downloading a critical package header or something, and took out a byte ...

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        ...let's just say a tiny meteoroid pierced the cable on your roof right when you were downloading a critical package header or something, and took out a byte ...
        From the Troubleshooters Guide to Linux, (First Edition), Volume 1:

Diblite (noun) - A nano-meteorite capable of inflicting serious damage to ones system, resulting in known remedies failing to resolve or correct the problem. (attributed to dibl, cir 2007)

Comment

Well, you gotta have a sense of humor -- otherwise you might break out in tears!

Comment

Not over the keyboard, please!!

Comment

pkgidx.idx seems to be corrupt. i can't rename or copy it... (and yes, using sudo :P)

Comment

Try deleting it.
                For external use only.

Comment

After deleting the corrupt file adept starts again. But dpkg still isn't working so i got no use for adept at the moment

Comment

Hmm, my pkgidx.idx was updated September 22.

Does the usual routine (i.e. this) fix it now?

If not, you might try reading the debtags man page. One of those commands might fix it.

If that doesn't work either, either creating an empty one or dropping in mine might do it.
                    For external use only.

Comment

Still the same errors when I try to install something.

Comment

Strange... You went as far as using mine?
                        For external use only.

Comment

Ah, sorry, missed that part.. i'll try it now

Comment

Still won't work =/

Comment

Working...
                            X