This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grub not applying setting changes

I cloned 21.10 from an MBR 120gb Kingston SATA SSD (after putting it into a usb external HDD case) to an internal NVME M2 Samsung Evo 970 CSM. All appears to work, but upon initial reboot, Grub showed up in a much higher resolution (IE appropriate for an HD display) and forces me to either wait 30 seconds or hit enter, when it used to just boot right to Linux. There is a new line in Grub called EUFI Firmware settings that seems to take me into to the motherboard's bios setup screen. The option to boot both MBR and EUFI drives in the BIOS has disappeared (It is possible all drives are now CSM).

Oddly, there is now an MSI spash screen after POST just before the "Kubuntu" logo shows up. I have eowned this machine for 3 years and never saw that before. It is different from the one you see during POST and is showing up during Kubuntu launch. I am assuming this is part of the new EUFI stuff.

Using Grub Customizer SEEMS to work, and all the right values are showing up in it, but after updating GRUB it refuses to either shorten the timeout, or launch silently. The update did something as I removed the entry for Windows 10 (I am now 100% MS Windows spyware free) and that did work.

Oddly, Grub Customizer seemed to want to install the boot loader on /dev/sda. I manually entered /dev/nvme0n1p1 (also tried nvme0n1p2 as it was the EFI partition). Neither worked. Is it possible the actual boot loader is sitting on /dev/sda?

Drive layout is (4 drives in total):

1. 500gb Samsung Evo 970
    / - nvme0n1p3 113gb (LVM2 system drive)
    /home/shad - nvme0n1p4 (EXT4 my user acct.)

2. 500gb Evo 860 #1
    /home/shad/Media - sda1 (EXT4 my user acct.)

3. 500gb Evo 860 #2
    /home/shad/Games - sdb1 (EXT4 my user acct.)

4. 4tb Toshiba x300
    /media/shad/Toshiba X300 (automount NTFS - all user access).

The original 120gb drive was was auto formatted by Kubuntu 21.10 with LVM2. Partition layout is odd to say the least.

Partition 1: 50mb empty space.
    Partition 2: 50mb Fat32?
    Partition 3: 113gb LVM2

After cloning
    Partition 4: (none) 335gb unused.

LVM refused to allow the filesize to grow when the partition was extended by any method (KDE Partition Manager or Command line), while "size2fs" refused to see the extended partition. So, I simply created a new partition and used as /home/shad.

Something is borked with this filesystem.

I regret installing 21.10 with LVM. I have always hand made partitions with EXT4 and never had an issue. With LVM nothing makes sense.
    Last edited by ShadYoung; Jan 09, 2022, 12:37 PM.

It sounds to me like the issue is the grub recordfail timeout is invoked for some reason, probably because of LVM usage. Try this in a terminal then reboot:

Code:
    sudo sh -c 'echo GRUB_RECORDFAIL_TIMEOUT=5 >> /etc/default/grub'
    sudo update-grub
    I realize you're new to Kubuntu, but AFAIK the installer does not use LVM unless you select it at install time. As far as the bootloader location - that too in selectable at install time.

All the cloning and partition issues are unrelated to the topic you posted so you should probably start a new thread with a more topical heading. Mixing issues on a single thread greatly diminishes your chances of catching a passing "expert" on your problem.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hi oshunluvr,
      Thanks for the reply. I will give that a try. So, this makes me wonder if grub is getting incorrect information from either the system or BIOS. My gut is telling me all of these problems are related, and related to LVM.
      Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 10, 2022, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Doing some checking into RECORD_FAIL it does seem all of the issues I have been experiencing after the clone are indeed related to LVM. Kubuntu's default partition scheme put /boot into the LVM partition. This apparently was a mistake. It also appears that clonezilla or grub itself reinitialized the NVME to UEFI, likely because the installer partitioned the the original SSD as EFI, even though the drive was manually set to MBR by me when initializing the first time. Changing from MBR to UEFI is of course possible to do and can be done on the fly with no data loss. But is also changed my BIOS. I no longer see any drives in it but the NVME. Power management can now be controlled by the OS (and the reason for my sleep recovery problem - letting the OS manage it seems to have fixed the problem - this was not even a BIOS option prior to the clone).

The record fail timeout worked, so, if I understand this correctly (Virtual FS vs physical FS), I suspect that if I were to query grub about what record failed, I would find the LVM part the culprit, and that grub's configuration is being dynamically generated, as are others. I have found a script to check that.

Thank you for the point in the right direction. I think I understand what is going on now, and why many seemingly unrelated changes either persist when I don't want them to, or don't persist when I do. These niggly little things are trivial overall, and I will live with it until 22.04 comes out in April and will reinitialize the NVME with a fresh install. In the meantime, I have a lot of learning to do between then and now, as things have changed a lot. Even though it lets you do it, configing things the "classic" way, is the wrong way these days, especially if you go LVM.

Otherwise I absolutely adore 21.10. The cleanest, best running install of any Linux distro ever. And I have been with Linux since Slack 2 and KDE since Beta and have tried just about everything (I am also one of the guys who started the legal battle with SCO back when they tried to assert copyright on *nix, if you care to check).

I am absolutely delighted by Kubuntu and KDE 5. It has made me smile a number of times over the past two weeks since. So much so that I realized I no longer needed Windows for those one or two important apps (I am a photographer/camera op/filmmaker/recording engineer and often ad hoc tech support, and now that Resolve is actually working for me properly, and Shotcut has keyframing support, there is no reason to keep Windows).

I have kept a dual boot for 27 years, but now... only Linux and loving it. I am amazed at the progress Kubuntu and many apps have made over the past few years.

Good day.
        Last edited by ShadYoung; Jan 10, 2022, 05:41 PM.

Comment

GRUB invokes "record_fail" when something is not supported. For example, this from /etc/grub.d/00_header:

Code:
          function recordfail {
           set recordfail=1
           # GRUB lacks write support for $abstraction, so recordfail support is disabled.
           # GRUB lacks write support for $FS, so recordfail support is disabled.
          On my system, I boot from a BTRFS partition so my grub.cfg contains:

Code:
          function recordfail {
           set recordfail=1
           # GRUB lacks write support for btrfs, so recordfail support is disabled.
          Booting from LVM was unsupported by GRUB until recently.

This is supposed to automatically disable the 30 second delay, but maybe there's a new bug or a regression.

Please Read Me

Comment

You know oshunluvr, even though there are these tiny little "problems" they have made me admire this distro even more. These problems were caused by my failure to do some basic reading before embarking on something I did not understand, and fscking it up. Yet it went around me, fixed my mistakes as best it could, and it works better than any computer I have ever used or owned.

I have often asked why I am not in IT, as I seem to know so much about computers, and my answer is "because I hate computers. They are necessary evils that constantly let you down when you need them to work. My skills are out of necessity, not desire.".

I no longer hate my computer. I look forward to turning it on and having my breath taken away by the sheer beauty of it; the colour, the fonts, the clean interface, the speed (the speed!). And it just works. Apparently the desktop crashed a couple of days ago. I did not notice. I only found out when the notice reminder told me about it. I have resisted going UEFI. I prefer to have control of my hardware, not my OS, but whatever happened forced me into it and I am kinda glad it did. It gave me a swift kick into the future.

I took a break from Linux for a couple of years. Every distro in 2019 was badly broken on this machine (AMD Ryzen 2600x/x470). It is sure working now.

I am not a gushy kind of person; quite the opposite actually, but for the past two week I have been gushing to everybody I talk to. This is an amazing achievement. I just keep going WOW!

Kudos to all of you who helped make this happen.

Thanks again!
            Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 12, 2022, 04:22 PM. Reason: Added emphasis

Comment

We were all 'new' once, and we all F'd things up. Learning doesn't happen without making mistakes. Learning from mistakes is how we gain experience.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by ShadYoung View Post
                You know oshunluvr, even though there are these tiny little "problems" they have made me admire this distro even more. These problems were caused by my failure to do some basic reading before embarking on something I did not understand, and fscking it up. Yet it went around me, fixed my mistakes as best it could, and it works better than any computer I have ever used or owned.

I have often asked why I am not in IT, as I seem to know so much about computers, and my answer is "because I hate computers. They are necessary evils that constantly let you down when you need them to work. My skills are out of necessity, not desire.".

I no longer hate my computer. I look forward to turning it on and having my breath taken away by the sheer beauty of it; the colour, the fonts, the clean interface, the speed (the speed!). And it just works. Apparently the desktop crashed a couple of days ago. I did not notice. I only found out when the notice reminder told me about it. I have resisted going UEFI. I prefer to have control of my hardware, not my OS, but whatever happened forced me into it and I am kinda glad it did. It gave me a swift kick into the future.

I took a break from Linux for a couple of years. Every distro in 2019 was badly broken on this machine (AMD Ryzen 2600x/x470). It is sure working now.

I am not a gushy kind of person; quite the opposite actually, but for the past two week I have been gushing to everybody I talk to. This is an amazing achievement. I just keep going WOW!

Kudos to all of you who helped make this happen.

Thanks again!
                Very nicely said. I promise you ALL of us cause our own headaches from time to time - even 25 year vets like me. What I love about Linux is, with very few exceptions no matter what is wrong, I can fix it, someone has fixed it, or there's a work-around that I can apply or create. Every day my OS works for me, not the other way around. In the Windows world, the inverse is true. That's why I lurk in the forum and other places - so I can give back as I have been given to all these years.

Welcome to the team!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                X