Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI: I used this guide to remove snap and applied the same technique to flatpak.

I was wrong. Removing flatpak was as easy as removing snap.
    I just continued to use the command "flatpak remove xxxxx". One of those xxxx gave me an option to remove all the remaining packages and I chose that option. Now, "snap list" and "flatpak list" and then I uninstalled them. Now my boot time to desktop is 5.6 seconds.

I was worried that because Nvidia was listed as a flatpak installed package I would lose it when I removed flatpak. That turned out not to be the case. Rebooting, I was presented with my Nvidia 390.144 powered desktop.
    Sweet!

Steam is gone, but I can reinstall it without using snap or flatpak.
    Systemd-analyze gives me the FASTEST boot to graphical target that I have ever had!
    :~$ systemd-analyze
    Startup finished in 3.441s (kernel) + 2.158s (userspace) = 5.600s
    graphical.target reached after 2.149s in userspace
    jerry@jerry-aspirev3771:~$ systemd-analyze blame
    1.436s smartmontools.service
    978ms rsyslog.service
    825ms udisks2.service
    747ms dev-sda1.device
    My system is very "snappy" as well!
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 22, 2021, 05:35 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      and I don't think removing any of those would leave a workable system. I'm going to give it a go, but I know that I will lose my nvidia install. IMO, flatpak is more insidous that snap. In my old Kubuntu 20.04 install I used 15 appimages. More than likely I will end up on Mint KDE.
      No, those are flatpaks, nothing system-level here. Most here are library sets, needed by the Steam flatpak.
      Think of these as being similar to the 75+ library dependency packages a standard Steam installed from a deb or via apt would pull in. But they are specific to flatpaks so are quite safe to remove.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSapien64 View Post
        @ GreyGeek & acheron

Aren't Firefox updates always a little behind schedule on Kubuntu like by at least a couple of days to optimize it for KDE Plasma?
        All official flavors get the same Firefox on the same day (after the same delay).
        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

keep getting weird site errors. (I suspect Snap is involved.)
          Last edited by verndog; Sep 22, 2021, 07:56 PM.
          Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by verndog View Post
            keep getting weird site errors. (I suspect Snap is involved.)
            Site errors, you mean errors here on KFN? We have been having software/database issues as of late. Being worked on

In any case, unspecified 'weird site errors' would have little to zero chance of having anything to do with a packaging format.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              No, those are flatpaks, nothing system-level here. Most here are library sets, needed by the Steam flatpak.
              Think of these as being similar to the 75+ library dependency packages a standard Steam installed from a deb or via apt would pull in. But they are specific to flatpaks so are quite safe to remove.
              Right you are! I took the plunge and removed flatpak the same way I removed snap. My Nvidia stayed up, which is what I was worried about. But, I did lose my Steam link. I installed the steam_latest.deb that I downloaded from Steam and installed it.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

@ GreyGeek & acheron

Aren't Firefox updates always a little behind schedule on Kubuntu like by at least a couple of days to optimize it for KDE Plasma?
                Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                All official flavors get the same Firefox on the same day (after the same delay).
                The slight delay is that that all updates need to do some QA before being released. Especially things like Firefox with are such an integral desktop component for Ubuntu and most flavours. Maybe some distros skip this and ship immediately with no QA, but Ubuntu with such a wide userbase (including commercial/academic.etc customers) would be negligent if they did this.
                On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Another thread I can't get to page 3 on....

EDIT: Posting this seemed to fix it.
                  On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                    Another thread I can't get to page 3 on....

EDIT: Posting this seemed to fix it.
                    The not able to get to page x of a thread is one of the on going issues here. I run Rebuild Thread Information (Admin Maintenance General Update Tools) daily, if not more often. This usually fixes this particular issue.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I confirm the problem of not being able to get to the next page of a thread. I happened to me on page 2. Thanks to @Snowhog for his efforts to keep squashing this bug.
                      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I, personally, very much appreciate the patience everyone is showing for the difficulties we are experiencing with KFN. No one likes the issues, and they will be resolved once the new KFN is ready to be turned on. Getting that done is taking longer than everyone likes, even our host Open Source. But it will get done. In the mean time, patience is a virtue, and it would seem therefore, we are all virtuous! hehe

Comment

Someone shared this with me. Also there's an issue with receiving email notifications on this site.

https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

Comment

I was trying to reply to Beerislife and got some internal error. Hopefully this reply works.
                            edit: it worked
                            edit:database error comes up when I try to edit my comment
                            Boot Info Script

Comment

When you see that error, just reload KFN (don't try to redo the posting). Return to where you were posting and the post will be there. For what it's worth, I'm getting that database error nearly 100% of the time I make/edit posts. :/

Comment

Also there's an issue with receiving email notifications on this site.
                                Yes, I am not getting any emails about replies to subscribed threads.

Comment

Working...
                                X