This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mozilla to make Snap version of Firefox in Ubuntu 21.10

Sorry if I'm putting this in wrong place.

In Ubuntu 21.10 Mozilla will have Firefox as a Snap. Will Kubuntu 21.10 do the same?

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2021/09/...1+Ubuntu%21%29

Originally posted by SuperSapien64 View Post
    In Ubuntu 21.10 Mozilla will have Firefox as a Snap. Will Kubuntu 21.10 do the same?
    No....
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
      No....
      Thank goodness I hope you're right.
      Last edited by SuperSapien64; Sep 19, 2021, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
        no....
        yay!!!

;d
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

As a test, I purged default FF on ubuntu, then copied the "firefox-92.0.tar.bz2" to "/opt", created a ".desktop" file, and it worked perfectly without either .deb or Snap.
          Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by verndog View Post
            As a test, I purged default FF on ubuntu, then copied the "firefox-92.0.tar.bz2" to "/opt", created a ".desktop" file, and it worked perfectly without either .deb or Snap.
            That's what I did for Thunderbird 91.1.1 in KDE Neon. It picked up my profile and I just carried on where I left off with TB78...
            Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

I just checked the Discovery Software Center on Kubuntu 20.04.3 and I found to versions of Firefox and one of them was the Snap version. I certainly hope this doesn't mean that Kubuntu 22.04 will be using the Snap version of Firefox by default?
              Because if yes I won't be able to use Firejail with Firefox.

Comment

Here are the packages on my system installed via snap or flatpak
                Code:
                [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B]~[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]$ [B]snap list[/B] [/COLOR]
                [B]Name               Version                     Rev    Tracking       Publisher     Notes[/B] 
                core               16-2.51.4                   11606  latest/stable  canonical[COLOR=#18b218]✓[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]    core [/COLOR]
                core18             20210722                    2128   latest/stable  canonical[COLOR=#18b218]✓[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]    base [/COLOR]
                core20             20210702                    1081   latest/stable  canonical[COLOR=#18b218]✓[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]    base [/COLOR]
                gnome-3-28-1804    3.28.0-19-g98f9e67.98f9e67  161    latest/stable  canonical[COLOR=#18b218]✓[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]    - [/COLOR]
                gtk-common-themes  0.1-52-gb92ac40             1515   latest/stable  canonical[COLOR=#18b218]✓[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]    - [/COLOR]
                obs-studio         27.0.1                      1258   latest/stable  snapcrafters  - 

[COLOR=#000000]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B]~[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]$ [B]flatpak list[/B] [/COLOR]
                [COLOR=#000000][B]Name                                        Application ID                                     Version        Branch       Installation[/B][/COLOR]
                Steam                                       com.valvesoftware.Steam                            1.0.0.71       stable       system 
                Freedesktop Platform                        org.freedesktop.Platform                           21.08.2        21.08        system 
                i386                                        org.freedesktop.Platform.Compat.i386                              21.08        system 
                Mesa                                        org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default                21.1.7         20.08        system 
                Mesa                                        org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default                21.2.1         21.08        system 
                nvidia-390-144                              org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-390-144                        1.4          system 
                default                                     org.freedesktop.Platform.GL32.default                             21.08        system 
                nvidia-390-144                              org.freedesktop.Platform.GL32.nvidia-390-144                      1.4          system 
                Intel                                       org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel                              20.08        system 
                Intel                                       org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel                              21.08        system 
                openh264                                    org.freedesktop.Platform.openh264                  2.1.0          2.0          system 
                Freedesktop SDK                             org.freedesktop.Sdk                                20.08.15       20.08        system 
                GNOME Application Platform version 40       org.gnome.Platform                                                40           system 
                Breeze Gtk theme                            org.gtk.Gtk3theme.Breeze                                          3.22         system 
                Physics                                     org.sugarlabs.Physics                              35.1           stable       system
                [/FONT]
                I installed FireFox 92 using muon. Some packages are in Disover and some are in Muon.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Here's mine:
                  Code:
                  $ snap list
                  Command 'snap' not found, but can be installed with:
                  sudo apt install snapd
                  $ flatpak list
                  Command 'flatpak' not found, but can be installed with:
                  sudo apt install flatpak
                  Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by verndog View Post
                    Here's mine:
                    Code:
                    $ snap list
                    Command 'snap' not found, but can be installed with:
                    sudo apt install snapd
                    $ flatpak list
                    Command 'flatpak' not found, but can be installed with:
                    sudo apt install flatpak
                    I get exactly the same output! I wonder why! ����������
                    Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSapien64 View Post
                      I certainly hope this doesn't mean that Kubuntu 22.04 will be using the Snap version of Firefox by default?
                      If as is planned Canonical completely remove the the .deb builds of Firefox from the Ubuntu archive so they are unavailable to us, what do you suggest we do instead?
                      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Well, I decided to return to sub 10 second boot to login times and purged snapd from my system. Here is the result
                        :~$ systemd-analyze
                        Startup finished in 3.110s (kernel) + 2.825s (userspace) = 5.936s
                        graphical.target reached after 2.811s in userspace
                        jerry@jerry-aspirev3771:~$ systemd-analyze blame
                        1.957s smartmontools.service
                        1.098s udisks2.service
                        976ms rsyslog.service
                        750ms dev-sda1.device
                        431ms gpu-manager.service
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Getting rid of snap in KDE Neon 5.22.5 was easy. Removing flatpak is not:
                          Code:
                          [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B]~[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]$ flatpak list [/COLOR]
                          [COLOR=#000000][B]Name                                        Application ID                                     Version        Branch       Installation[/B][/COLOR]
                          Steam                                       com.valvesoftware.Steam                            1.0.0.71       stable       system 
                          Freedesktop Platform                        org.freedesktop.Platform                           21.08.2        21.08        system 
                          i386                                        org.freedesktop.Platform.Compat.i386                              21.08        system 
                          Mesa                                        org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default                21.1.7         20.08        system 
                          Mesa                                        org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default                21.2.1         21.08        system 
                          nvidia-390-144                              org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-390-144                        1.4          system 
                          default                                     org.freedesktop.Platform.GL32.default                             21.08        system 
                          nvidia-390-144                              org.freedesktop.Platform.GL32.nvidia-390-144                      1.4          system 
                          Intel                                       org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel                              20.08        system 
                          Intel                                       org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel                              21.08        system 
                          openh264                                    org.freedesktop.Platform.openh264                  2.1.0          2.0          system 
                          Freedesktop SDK                             org.freedesktop.Sdk                                20.08.15       20.08        system 
                          GNOME Application Platform version 40       org.gnome.Platform                                                40           system 
                          Breeze Gtk theme                            org.gtk.Gtk3theme.Breeze                                          3.22         system 
                          Physics                                     org.sugarlabs.Physics                              35.1           stable       system

[/FONT]
                          After a few "flatpak remove xxxx" I was left with:
                          Code:
                          [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#5454ff][B]~[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]$ flatpak list        [/COLOR]

[/FONT]
                          and I don't think removing any of those would leave a workable system. I'm going to give it a go, but I know that I will lose my nvidia install. IMO, flatpak is more insidous that snap. In my old Kubuntu 20.04 install I used 15 appimages. More than likely I will end up on Mint KDE.
                          Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 22, 2021, 04:30 PM.

Comment

@ GreyGeek & acheron

Aren't Firefox updates always a little behind schedule on Kubuntu like by at least a couple of days to optimize it for KDE Plasma?

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                              Getting rid of snap in KDE Neon 5.22.5 was easy. Removing flatpak is not:
                              Code:
                              [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B]~[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]$ flatpak list [/COLOR]

[/FONT]
                              After a few "flatpak remove xxxx" I was left with:
                              Code:
                              [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#5454ff][B]~[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]$ flatpak list        [/COLOR]

[/FONT]
                              and I don't think removing any of those would leave a workable system. I'm going to give it a go, but I know that I will lose my nvidia install. IMO, flatpak is more insidous that snap. In my old Kubuntu 20.04 install I used 15 appimages. More than likely I will end up on Mint KDE.
                              This article explains what they are all about and how to clean them https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/0...-runtimes.html

Comment

Working...
                              X