Move here menu in right click

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Move here menu in right click

Was wondering if there is a way of disabling the move here / copy here menu so I can just drag and drop? I apologize if this question has already been answered. I did a search and could not find an answer.

No, this cannot be disabled, at least not without diving into the source code.

Ways to skip it:

* Move (Shift+Drag)
    * Copy (Ctrl+Drag)
    * Link (Alt+Drag)

Comment

Sounds like you are asking for this feature to work like in Windows. claydoh is right, the answer is no. With Linux you always have to be specific about your actions. Think of it as a security feature. Saves you from moving something away, when you really meant to copy, and now you don't know where it went.

Comment

This struggle we (those KDE users who want to have a default drag and drop action) was lost some years ago. Some tried hard at the time, but I suspect the devs got stubborn about it.
        Last edited by jlittle; Nov 03, 2021, 02:59 PM. Reason: correct grammar
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Setting aside how vastly superior Dolphin is to Explorer, I find this interesting as IMO the drag-n-drop "feature" of Windows Explorer is dangerous in several distinct ways:

The behavior is inconsistent; as in a networked or removable device is treated differently from a fixed device. Which then introduces the possibility of unintentionally moving vs. copying or vice-versa. To make this worse some removable devices are treated as fixed devices. For example, my portable USB drive is not treated the same as a thumb drive even though the logical use and the physical connection are identical. Curiously, I end up using the CTRL key to be sure I am moving when that is my desire and right-click to copy for the same reason. At it's best, you end up doing double actions of copying back after an unintentional move or deleting after an unintentional copy.

The drag-n-drop "move" action does not require any acknowledgment: This allows you to unintentionally drop a file or folder in a wrong or possibly bad place. Something as a simple mis-click or your finger slipping can result is a massive problem. Example; I work on large simulation systems with complex and specific file requirements. One of our systems "lost" an image-generator and the client at the site could not determine why or how to reverse the issue. This required me to travel at the clients' expense to the site. It took me only a few minutes to notice a folder was missing that contained critical data. It was nested in another folder on the same system one level down. Someone had simply accidentally dragged a folder slightly to the right and released it without noticing they had done it. $1000s of travel budget and dozens of billable hours literally because of this "feature."

Finally, and this may actually exist but I'm not aware of it - no history of actions. Most of the above issues could be mitigated if there was a simple way to track and review the last few actions. I'm not sure if Dolphin can do this either, but I think it's a good idea.

Frankly, the way Dolphin works - drag, then select copy, move, or link, is superior to the alternatives. One extra mouse-click to insure the proper end result seems a small price.
          Last edited by oshunluvr; Nov 03, 2021, 06:00 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            ... the drag-n-drop "feature" of Windows Explorer ... behavior is inconsistent...
            Agreed.
            ... a simple mis-click or your finger slipping can result is a massive problem. ...Someone had simply accidentally dragged a folder slightly to the right and released it without noticing they had done it.
            I've seen this, and causing significant problems. I imagine a huge proportion of Windows users have suffered this problem; the occurrences would number in the billions.

However, consistently doing a copy by default would be fine IMO. It would have saved me so much time over the years.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
            X