X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too long reboot and shutdown time

Kubuntu 21.04
    Boots quite fast, but takes a long time to reboot or shutdown. Any solution?

Not sure, hard to say without more info.
    Where exactly does it seem slow? to log out, or is it slow after that?
    Any software or services that you use that might need to be shut down , particularly ones running in the background?

When rebooting, when you see the Kubuntu splash, hit the Esc key to see what is going on during the reboot, it may show timers as it tries to close things down, so this might reveal the slow one.
    My PC takes a few extra moments (feels like hours!) while it shuts down my VPN's software. This shows up when I hit the esc key to see the details.

Comment

Open a Konsole and issue:
      journalctl -r

That will list systemd's journal beginning with the current time. Scroll down until you see "-- Reboot--" on a line by itself. Note the time.
      Scroll down until you see "org.kde.LogoutPrompt.." Note its time. The difference between the time just before " -- Reboot--", which is "Journal Stopped", and the LogoutPrompt time is how long it took your system to shut down. Check the times of the various processes between those two landmarks and see which ones took the most time by comparing times between the previous and following events.

My time from "LogoutPrompt" to time of the last event before the "--Reboot--" line was 7 seconds.

Last edited by GreyGeek; May 08, 2021, 05:14 PM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Type "poweroff" on the screen after you close all the programs, or "Alt+Space" to launch krunner. That seems to by pass everything and shuts down immediately. Then you just need to enter partial letters the second time, like "po", or "pow". Then it auto fills. I don't have any issues with Kubuntu shutting down fast, but have this same issue with Manjaro KDE, and this fixed my slow shutdown process, and it works on any KDE platform.

Comment

KDE Shutdown Restart Delayed

You could try to check if you have a stop job running by looking at the splash screen content after restart:

Code:
          # cat /var/log/boot.log
          If you are not using a printer, you could kill its service (works in Ubiquity or Gnome too):

Code:
          sudo systemctl stop cups-browsed.service
          Code:
          sudo systemctl disable cups-browsed.service
          Optional + enable and start restores the printer above:

Code:
          sudo systemctl status cups-browsed
          To avoid a stop job(s) running, here's the list of background services that are disabled in Try Kubuntu before the fresh install. Plus, we redo the same after the install:

System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Background Services:

-Bluetooth
          -Color Correction Geolocation updater
          -Free Space Notifier
          -Network Proxy Configuration
          -Notifications Helper
          -Plasma Browser Integration Installation Reminder
          -Plasma Vault module
          -Print Manager
          -Removable Device automounter
          -Search Folder Updater
          -Status Notifier Manager
          -Thunderbolt Device Monitor
          -Touchpad (external keyboard-mouse combo)
          -Wacom Tablet

We are not using any of them + notifications free. Adapt to your needs, but the printer is a trouble maker. Run stop cups-browsed-service only before if you have one.

Turn off the network switch gives good result. Same for reboot from the terminal or shutdown: sudo shutdown -r now

Hope it will be helpful,
          Last edited by Radcliff; May 09, 2021, 07:44 PM.

Comment

If your slow shutdown is a few seconds more than one and a half minutes, that strongly suggests you've got the shutdown pausing on "A stop job is running for Session...". The logged messages are nearly useless for tracking down the service causing trouble. Why can't systemd tell us what is holding it up?

On my Kubuntu /var/log/boot.log has not been updated since last September. This might show the relevant stuff:
            Code:
            journalctl -b -1 | less +G
            If looking at logs doesn't work, you could stop the messages being hidden by editing /etc/default/grub to remove the words "quiet splash" from the line that has them, GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT I think, and running sudo update-grub. If the problem isn't the stop job thing, you might see what is.

However, after some effort I gave up trying to work out what was misbehaving on my work laptop, and edited /etc/systemd/system.conf to uncomment the DefaultTimeoutStopSec line and set it to 10:
            Code:
            DefaultTimeoutStopSec=10s
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Switching to the console should show you what is causing the delay. After shutdown begins, press "ALT-F2" and you will likely see a "shutdown job" is waiting with a countdown timer - usually a minute and a half per shutdown job is there's more than one.

Once you figure out which services are causing the delay, then you know where to start looking.
              Last edited by Snowhog; May 11, 2021, 05:39 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

I did all above mentioned. Nothing helped. Alt+F2, while shutdown won't move to the konsole. Deleting "quiet splash" won't show anything too, except kubuntu logo. Of course, I did update-grub after that.

Comment

When seeing the Kubuntu logo, did you try hitting the esc key? This *should* hide the splash screen and reveal the terminal output.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    When seeing the Kubuntu logo, did you try hitting the esc key? This *should* hide the splash screen and reveal the terminal output.
                    No, it doesn't hide.

Comment

I am observing the same problem of very long shutdowns, and occasional long boots.

Comment

I have to raise my hand as well, I also get the odd long shutdown. What sticks out to me is that by and large I logoff at the same point every time in terms of open windows etc but the shutdown time appears to be totally random. Sometimes I get a Kubuntu logo while other times not. I don't understand why they are not uniform like a log on is, always the same and always fast.

Comment

Maybe try and turn off "quiet splash", so you see what it "says" during shutdown.
                          If it hangs on something before it "reaches power-off target"...

Comment

Working...
                          X