kde daemon - how to shut down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kde daemon - how to shut down?

Every time I boot I get a pop message from the KDE Daemon advising me about missing language packages. I cannot locate this "KDE Daemon" thing to shut it up. I am experiencing no "missing language" issues. When I try to respond to the message, nothing I do changes anything or does anything.

Useless. Annoying. Needs to go away....

But I don't know how to accomplish this. No possible solution I found anywhere is recent enough or focused enough to seem worth trying.

All suggestions welcome.

"KDE Daemon" is the package kded5 - "Extensible daemon for providing session services". I seriously doubt you want to kill this as it does more than just nag you about language support. Much better to try and fix the root of the problem,

Go to: Settings -> System settings -> Personalization -> Regional settings. Select your language if it's not already.

You can update your language support with: sudo apt install $(check-language-support) **note this may install several new packages** For example, if your language is US English (en-us), it will install en-gb, en-au, en-ca, and en-za.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you! That is a most helpful response. Much appreciated. I'm following your advice....

UPDATE: As I expected, my language (American English) is selected already - happens with Kubuntu is installed, right?

So, back to the original problem - why am I being harassed about language support. And if there is a good reason, why does not the daemon tell me? Mysterious error messages and their cousins are just never a great idea...

At this point, the message continues to appear, I don't know why, and I see no fix. Any suggestions?
      Last edited by tomcloyd; Oct 31, 2021, 10:15 AM. Reason: Additional information available....

Comment

Have you clicked on the popup, or the tray icon that appears?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Have you clicked on the popup, or the tray icon that appears?
          Yes, I did a few minutes ago, before seeing your response. I have done this before and it didn't seem to solve the problem. However, I have very recently switched to a System76 designed-for-Linux laptop and MANY things that weren't working well before seem now to be working fine. It's surprising, actually. Maybe this persistent KDE Daemon problem will be one of them. We'll see.

Thanks for your response.

Comment

Working...
          X