Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm...I was going to suggest PlayOnLinux, but won't now! Do you know if this is a known issue? Are others reporting the same problem(s)? Hopefully it'll get fixed soon.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
      Hmmm...I was going to suggest PlayOnLinux, but won't now! Do you know if this is a known issue? Are others reporting the same problem(s)? Hopefully it'll get fixed soon.
      I see a LOT of reports about it from all distros AND Windows users.
      The problem relates to the Installshield
      /home/jerry/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/InstallShield/Professional/
      and IsProBE.tlb file. Some get by with deleting the 'Professional" subdirectory and retrying the install, but that doesn't work for me.
      I've also preloaded a bunch of XP dlls, cabs, linkers, compilers and other tools but to no avail.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        I see a LOT of reports about it from all distros AND Windows users.
        The problem relates to the Installshield
        /home/jerry/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/InstallShield/Professional/
        and IsProBE.tlb file. Some get by with deleting the 'Professional" subdirectory and retrying the install, but that doesn't work for me.
        I've also preloaded a bunch of XP dlls, cabs, linkers, compilers and other tools but to no avail.
        Well, shoot. That's not good.

Do you have a different computer you can use for your wife's project until this gets fixed? (And for playing games, perhaps?)

I'm confused by something: why would window$ users use wine?
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
          Well, shoot. That's not good.

Do you have a different computer you can use for your wife's project until this gets fixed? (And for playing games, perhaps?)

I'm confused by something: why would window$ users use wine?
          Her computer is a 32bit 10" notebook, Acer Aspire 0D521, that runs so slow it can lose a race against molasses.

People using WINE on Windows was a question that I had until I realized that many activate WSL or WSL2 and install Ubuntu to use WINE to run exe's that they don't want contaminating their Windows host, mainly old or hacked games and/or commerical apps.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X