X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Keeping Spectacle down

I didn't know how to word the subject!

A certain project I work on involves taking lots of screenshots. I've configured Spectacle to work *exactly* the way I want, right down to assigning an additional key, [F1], to take screenshots. I have it auto-saving each screenshot in a specific directory; I can take shot after shot and not have to do anything, like name or save each shot. When I'm done, I go to its directory and do whatever I need to do with the screenshots.

The problem? I can't figure out how to keep Spectacle from popping up over the page I've just screenshotted. Let's say I'm on the first page of my project; I take a screenshot and Spectacle appears; I click somewhere to make it go away. I move on to the next page; I take a screenshot--and Spectacle MAY or MAY NOT pop up; it's maybe a 50/50 split. When it doesn't pop up, I can see it flash briefly in my taskbar--this is what I want all the time.

When I was using the System76 loaner, running Pop!_OS, not Kubuntu, its built-in screenshot program (not Spectacle) didn't do this. I could take a succession of shots and it would stay back, until I brought it up myself. I don't recall what it was called, just that it definitely was not Spectacle.

I've searched Spectacle's settings and tools but came up empty. I know there are many system settings, like when right-clicking on a title bar, under "More Actions," there's "Configure Special Application Settings..." Is there a setting somewhere, anywhere, that would keep Spectacle hidden except for the first use? I hope this makes sense.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Under "General" in configuration, the very top option, is to "autosave in default folder". I checked that and then hit F1, which I had assigned to Spectacle. When I used F1 to snapshot the screen a popup notice appeared in the system tray. It had a configure option on it so I clicked that and disabled the option to display a popup message, or play a sound. I took several pictures using your method. Works great! I'm going to keep it.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

$ spectacle --help will reveal the command option(s) to use with your custom keyboard shortcut to do many things.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        Under "General" in configuration, the very top option, is to "autosave in default folder". I checked that and then hit F1, which I had assigned to Spectacle. When I used F1 to snapshot the screen a popup notice appeared in the system tray. It had a configure option on it so I clicked that and disabled the option to display a popup message, or play a sound. I took several pictures using your method. Works great! I'm going to keep it.
        There's nothing like that for me. I just closed Spectacle and then took a shot; the only thing that appears in my tray is Spectacle's entry:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spectacle_tray.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	645219

Right-clicking on it does not give me a configure option for Spectacle; it brings up a menu for various Task Manager settings. Left-clicking just brings up Spectacle.

I wonder how I can get the configuration options you found.
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          $ spectacle --help will reveal the command option(s) to use with your custom keyboard shortcut to do many things.
          Thanks, "-bn" seems to work--but where do I put it?! In KMenu, Spectacle's "command" entry is this: qdbus org.kde.Spectacle / StartAgent -- I've never even seen a command like that.

Replacing that with spectacle -bn does cause a screenshot to be taken without displaying anything--but only if I run it from the menu, not if I press one of its shortcut keys. I know I'm just not connecting some dots right now...

Comment

Create a new custom shortcut.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              Create a new custom shortcut.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
              duuur

Name:	Screenshot_20210927_183547.jpg
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	645220

Use a custom keystroke, like ctrl-printscreen, etc under the 'trigger' section. Something separate from the standard screenshot shortcut.

Your settings area *may* look slightly different (if at all), but the process and steps should be the same.

Name:	Screenshot_20210927_183504.jpg
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	645221

Comment

I'm blowing a big fat kiss your way, @claydoh!!

I appreciate the visuals, but your original comment was all I needed to connect the dots--the ones I knew I was missing.

Since I want to keep [F1] as my shortcut, that's what I assigned to this. If I ever need Spectacle to behave its natural way, I'll just hit [print screen] instead.

Thank you and I hope you don't mind the kiss!

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                  There's nothing like that for me. I just closed Spectacle and then took a shot; the only thing that appears in my tray is Spectacle's entry:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9545[/ATTACH]

Right-clicking on it does not give me a configure option for Spectacle; it brings up a menu for various Task Manager settings. Left-clicking just brings up Spectacle.

I wonder how I can get the configuration options you found.
                  Now that you've got a solution it doesn't matter ... BUT ... my version of Spectacle is 21.08.1 What's yours?
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Now that you've got a solution it doesn't matter ... BUT ... my version of Spectacle is 21.08.1 What's yours?

Comment

Don't be surprised. 19.12.3 is the current version of Spectacle on 20.04. GreyGeek is running KDE neon (I believe).
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                        Don't be surprised. 19.12.3 is the current version of Spectacle on 20.04. GreyGeek is running KDE neon (I believe).
                        Oh, okay. Thanks for the info.

BTW, in your sig:
                        "Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007"

I wish I knew my start date! I know the rough time period, but not the exact date. I wish I did. I like keeping track of things like that. But the day I installed K for the first time, well, I didn't know K would end up being my default! And that it was a memorable date. That was back when I was still hopping from distro to distro, trying to find THE ONE.

Comment

Ah, that probably explains it.

BTW, my Kubuntu start date was Feb 4, 2009. The 9.04 beta.

Spectacle download site for Debian, which should work in Kubuntu.
                          And, yes, I moved to KDE Neon 5.22 just to be closer to the front edge without bleeding too much. So far, it's working out great, save for being unable to get a working WINE environment. The 6.01 version apparently is having kernel compatibility problems.
                          Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 28, 2021, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Ah, that probably explains it.
                            Spectacle download site for Debian, which should work in Kubuntu.
                            And, yes, I moved to KDE Neon 5.22 just to be closer to the front edge without bleeding too much. So far, it's working out great, save for being unable to get a working WINE environment. The 6.01 version apparently is having kernel compatibility problems.
                            It's all good now, GG! I've got Spectacle doing just what I wanted, so I'm good.

What's happening with wine? I haven't used it for a few years now so I have no recent experience with it, but I used to use it heavily. What kind of problems are you having?

BTW, my Kubuntu start date was Feb 4, 2009. The 9.04 beta.
                            My date is unknown, but it was 5.04 (Hoary Hedgehog, IIRC)--so spring 2005 is as close as I can get.

Comment

What's happening with wine? I haven't used it for a few years now so I have no recent experience with it, but I used to use it heavily. What kind of problems are you having?
                              Until KDE Neon 5.22 and the 5.11.0.36 kernel I never had a problem installing either SpaceEngine098.exe or the pgm I use to print out my wife's EGK plots. Usually all I did was install WINE, winetricksand qt4wine and then use winecfg some.exe and away it went.
                              Now, no matter what exe I try it always dies somewhere along the install. I also tried PlayOnLinux and Winehq, but they don't work either. I've created separate wine prefixes, Wine32 and Win64 and started with "WINEARCH=Wine32 winecfg Setup.exe", but no joy.

I suspect that the problem will be resolved and the patches to the kernel and/or wine will come down the pike when they are ready. I'm patient. I'll wait.

Comment

Working...
                              X