Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I fix my broken Wunderground weather widget?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I fix my broken Wunderground weather widget?

I installed the Wunderground weather widget--which I love; it's very convenient--and, when clicked, it would pop up a large rectangle, about 4" high & 6" wide, showing (I've chosen the forecast category) a weather-type icon and the low & high temp. for each of the next 7 days. Now something's happened so that when I click it, it pops up only a small rectangle, coming up only about 1.25 inch, that displays only the station number and some sort of weather info. all run together, overlapping so that I can't read it. I removed it and reinstalled it, and I get the same display/problem. How do I fix this? I don't know how to get to the widget maker (the configure window doesn't have an About or Help entry).

An old standby is to delete the widget, remove its config file and then reinstall it.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thank you, GrayGeek. That's what I did, and it hasn't done any good/same problem, but I'll do it again. I didn't actually delete the config file; I don't know how to do that. But when I reinstalled it, its config window showed reset/default settings, so that I had to reset the settings I wanted.
      As with your (or someone's) response to a similar earlier request for widget help, the respondent said to get with the widget maker. That's exactly what I'd love to do, but I don't know how to do that. I've posted in the KDE Community forum but to no avail, no response.

And, btw, I'm having absolute fits getting my posts to "take." Finally, after at least half a dozen tries, this one got posted. You sure are having problems with this forum software. Hope it gets fixed sometime soon.

Comment

I used to run the Wunderground widget years ago. Then, it would also display a video of the previous several hours of weather and a projection of about 2 hours into the future. It was very handy for tracking current thunderstorms moving nearby.

I added that widget to my panel. The first thing I noticed is that in the list of widgets it did not display an icon, just an empty box with the name of the widget at the bottom. This is the first clue that the widget has not been updated recently to fit with the current version of KDE/Plasma. It displays in my system tray with an icon of the sun showing the current conditions, along with the current temperature. Clicking on the Forcast gives me the predictions for the next 5 days.
        The config file is main.xml and is located in
        /home/youracctname/.local/share/plasma/plasmoids/com.github.k-donn.plasmoid-wunderground/contents/config/main.xml
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Which specific widget?
          This one: https://store.kde.org/p/1411968

if not, which one?

Comment

The one you get going through the "Add Widgets ---> Get New Widgets --> Download New Plasma Widgets" option on the widgets panel, then doing a search for "weather". It's by "odd-k", the same author in the link you provided.

That widget uses personal weather stations, which vary greatly in the type and amount of info they collect and transmit, and in how often they update their data, so ymmv. Personally, I just fire a bookmark in my browser, which I use most of the time anyway, to fire a weather page for my location.
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 25, 2021, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Also wunderground API is free for a limited of queries. Maybe that your local weather has exceeded that limit and doesn't want to pay. Also I've read that the API is vulnerable to security hacks, although I haven't heard of much lately. Then again, I'm one of those old guys that just looks out the window, so what do I know about weather apps.

Comment

Yes, I did mean the one installed the way you described below (9-25-'21, 1:29 PM). But I can't continue to work on this because my file system has been damaged. I'm using Linux Mint 20.04 now while I work on reshuffling OSs on my SSD and then getting them backed up. I'll have to return to this later.

Comment

Originally posted by RLynwood View Post
                  ... I can't continue to work on this because my file system has been damaged. I'm using Linux Mint 20.04 now while I work on reshuffling OSs on my SSD and then getting them backed up. I'll have to return to this later.
                  A damaged file system is extremely unusual. About the only time I've seen this occuring on its own, aside from actual component failure on the HD, is when the sectors reserve space is exhausted and the file system cannot repair itself by marking a bad sector and bringing a new sector out of reserve to replace it. That, and the user misusing KParted or some similar app to blow away the boot sector or mess up a partition, or using dd in unusual ways.

Comment

Originally posted by RLynwood View Post
                    ... But I can't continue to work on this because my file system has been damaged...
                    Not ZFS I hope...

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                    X