Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discover Software Center almost always says problems with checksums at first launch.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's fine, claydoh!

When I say, "Not sorry", I'm not sorry about not multi-booting, and not being concerned with Discover. And that's a choice I made some time ago. I understand that if someone chooses to multi-boot, and engage with Discover, there can be utility and good things for that someone, and there can also be challenges. And solutions that I may not be in a position to offer.

But, why not put ALL boot files for multi-boot systems into UEFI. You always end up selecting the OS environment for the distro option that you select at boot time, and if each has it's own kernel options that will be accounted for at boot time. Just a thought.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
      When I get a Discover notification of available updates, I do only one thing.

Go to konsole, and enter sudo apt update and sudo apt full-upgrade.

Otherwise, I avoid Discover like a plague.
      I've had that approach for years, too. However, Discover has gradually improved, and is no longer to be avoided like a plague. I can't recommend it though, it's still had problems when I've been forced to use it for snaps, flatpaks or plasma add-ons. It can be faster than apt, because it runs multiple threads.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

I update via Discover. For a test I just did an apt update and full-update and it said I was fully updated. So my question, is Discover just gui frontend for apt?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred47 View Post
          I update via Discover. For a test I just did an apt update and full-update and it said I was fully updated. So my question, is Discover just gui frontend for apt?
          Not a 100% front end, such as Synaptic and Muon are.
          Discover is not a full package manager, more like an app store.
          It also supports Flatpak, Snaps, and KDE Store items, and hardware vendor firmware updates, all of which apt has nothing to do with.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

Not a 100% front end, such as Synaptic and Muon are.
            Discover is not a full package manager, more like an app store.
            It also supports Flatpak, Snaps, and KDE Store items, and hardware vendor firmware updates, all of which apt has nothing to do with.
            Wow...now THAT is useful information. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
            X