Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discover Software Center almost always says problems with checksums at first launch.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discover Software Center almost always says problems with checksums at first launch.

Almost every time I open Discover Software Center it gives me an error message about checksums. Its been this way for about a month now. Is anyone else experiencing this bug?

I've noticed the same for the past several weeks. The message is "Failed to update metadata for lvfs: failed to verify data, excpected 98261db7..."
    Found this older report, https://github.com/fwupd/fwupd/issues/2089 which makes it sound like a server issue. A reboot "fixed it" But then this more recent report says it's back https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=440945

Comment

much newer
      https://github.com/fwupd/fwupd/issues/3652

Comment

Forgot to add I am NOT seeing this myself

Comment

"failed to update metadata for lvfs" - I'm sorry but this issue is very much alive for me. It is exactly as described here -
          https://github.com/fwupd/fwupd/issues/3652

I have no idea what to do about this. My sense of this is that this is NOT a trivial matter.

Operating System: Kubuntu 20.04
          KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.5
          KDE Frameworks Version: 5.68.0
          Qt Version: 5.12.8
          Kernel Version: 5.11.0-40-generic
          OS Type: 64-bit
          Processors: 8 × 11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz
          Memory: 15.5 GiB of RAM

Comment

Since this is actually lvfs firmware update checking, and not Discover itself, one could try disabling/disabling the different firmware 'tracks' in Discover

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211124_205839.png
Views:	471
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	658422

Comment

Ah, yes. That would stop the error messages, but as I suggested above, this does not appear to be a trivial matter. If lvfs needs an update, should it not happen? Or maybe I am misunderstanding the importance of the underlying issue...?

Comment

lvfs isn't unimportant, but it is not vital - just the service that allows hardware vendors - Logitech, or Lenovo for example, to provide updated hardware firmware on some systems.

It has been reported to Ubuntu
                https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...d/+bug/1943833

I think the problem is that reproducing this error seems to be difficult, and despite the handful of reports, not necessarily a common one.

Luckily, the error is not preventing normal, regular system updates from happening. At least I assume it isn't?
                Last edited by claydoh; Dec 19, 2021, 04:21 PM.

Comment

You seem to be correct. I do get regular updates, including stuff that is clearly system core packages.

OK, if you're not worried, that's good enough for me. I just didn't want to be dismissive of this simply because I didn't really know exactly what it was about or how to fix it.

Thanks for the reassuring and rapid response. Much appreciated.

Comment

Me, I'd be annoyed af, I think, even knowing that updates were OK

Comment

I'll be darned. Just for fun, just now, I opened Discover (20.04) and I got that error, too:
                      "Failed to update metadata for lvfs: failed to verify data, expected 98261db7..."
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Btw, I get regular updates via Discover, no problems there. (I never actually opened Discover from the Application Launcher before, until just now (see post #11). If I open anything, it is Muon. I only use Discover for updates when the tray icon says I have updates.)
                        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

When I get a Discover notification of available updates, I do only one thing.

Go to konsole, and enter sudo apt update and sudo apt full-upgrade.

Otherwise, I avoid Discover like a plague.

Not sorry!
                          The next brick house on the left
                          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Ditto. All my package management is done from the command line.
                            Last edited by Snowhog; Dec 20, 2021, 02:33 PM.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

luddites! j/k :0

I normally update manually, part of my morning routine.
                              But I do get a lot of theming and other KDE store bits updated in Discover, as well as the occasional flatpak, for non-KDE things I might be playing with.
                              Plus any random system updates as the appear, and even all my Logitech wireless dongles' firmware some months back.

Comment

Working...
                              X