This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Duplicate Files

Cleaning up some old files and using fdupes I found these "duplicate" files. Both Dolphin and a directory list do not show any duplicates. Has anyone ever seen this and know how to fix it?

fred@fred-HP-Laptop-17-bs0xx:~/Music/Rock/Dobbie Bros/Minute by Minute$ ls
    'Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 01 - Here to Love You.mp3'
    'Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 02 - What a Fool Believes.mp3'
    'Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 03 - Minute by Minute.mp3'
    "Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 04 - Dependin' on You.mp3"
    'Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 05 - Dont Stop to Watch the Wheels.mp3'
    'Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 06 - Open Your Eyes.mp3'
    'Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 07 - Sweet Feelin.mp3'
    'Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 08 - Steamer Lane Breakdown.mp3'
    'Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 09 - You Never Change.mp3'
    'Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 10 - How Do the Fools Survive.mp3'
    The_Doobie_Brothers_-_Minute_by_Minute.jpg

Output from fdupes

Music/Rock/Dobbie Bros/Minute by Minute/Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 03 - Minute by Minute.mp3
    Music/Rock/Doobie Bros/Minute by Minute/Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 03 - Minute by Minute.mp3

Music/Rock/Dobbie Bros/Minute by Minute/Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 07 - Sweet Feelin.mp3
    Music/Rock/Doobie Bros/Minute by Minute/Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 07 - Sweet Feelin.mp3

Music/Rock/Dobbie Bros/Minute by Minute/Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 02 - What a Fool Believes.mp3
    Music/Rock/Doobie Bros/Minute by Minute/Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 02 - What a Fool Believes.mp3

Music/Rock/Dobbie Bros/Minute by Minute/Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 04 - Dependin' on You.mp3
    Music/Rock/Doobie Bros/Minute by Minute/Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 04 - Dependin' on You.mp3

Music/Rock/Dobbie Bros/Minute by Minute/Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 05 - Dont Stop to Watch the Wheels.mp3
    Music/Rock/Doobie Bros/Minute by Minute/Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 05 - Dont Stop to Watch the Wheels.mp3

Music/Rock/Dobbie Bros/Minute by Minute/Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 06 - Open Your Eyes.mp3
    Music/Rock/Doobie Bros/Minute by Minute/Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 06 - Open Your Eyes.mp3

Music/Rock/Dobbie Bros/Minute by Minute/Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 09 - You Never Change.mp3
    Music/Rock/Doobie Bros/Minute by Minute/Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 09 - You Never Change.mp3

Music/Rock/Dobbie Bros/Minute by Minute/The_Doobie_Brothers_-_Minute_by_Minute.jpg
    Music/Rock/Doobie Bros/Minute by Minute/The_Doobie_Brothers_-_Minute_by_Minute.jpg

Music/Rock/Dobbie Bros/Minute by Minute/Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 10 - How Do the Fools Survive.mp3
    Music/Rock/Doobie Bros/Minute by Minute/Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 10 - How Do the Fools Survive.mp3

Music/Rock/Dobbie Bros/Minute by Minute/Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 08 - Steamer Lane Breakdown.mp3
    Music/Rock/Doobie Bros/Minute by Minute/Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 08 - Steamer Lane Breakdown.mp3

Music/Rock/Dobbie Bros/Minute by Minute/Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 01 - Here to Love You.mp3
    Music/Rock/Doobie Bros/Minute by Minute/Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute - 01 - Here to Love You.mp3

I've never used fdupes, but from time to time (and not recently) there have been cases where my music player has shown my entire collection duplicated. It was just a bad index.

I don't know if that is a possibility, especially if there are no actual duped files in your Music/Rock/Doobie Bros/Minute by Minute directory.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Great thanks, Now "Minute by Minute" is playing in my head over and over...

Please Read Me

Comment

Yep, too many "doobies".

Bros, of course!
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Not my favorite Dobbie Bros album, that's why I'd like to eliminate the "duplicates."

Comment

The question remains whether there is a physical duplicate, or just a reported duplicate. If there is only one file by each of those names in that directory, then for some reason fdupes has recorded an error. If there are multiple files of each name in that directory, then delete the dupes and press on.

EDIT: And I would check that directory in konsole.

Comment

It might be that there's a cache somewhere that is causing the problem. You could update mlocate with:

sudo updatedb

You might consider running down more info on fdupes and see if you can locate it's cache and wipe it.

Another idea: use the find command to see if there actually are dupes:

find / -iname Minute

or something like that...

...or just ignore it

Please Read Me

Comment

I've done everything suggested and more and I've decided the duplicates don't really exist, and I'll just be ignoring it. Maybe later I'll report the problem on github as it does seem to be specific to fdupes.

Comment

Cleaning up files can be a long boring job and so it is here as well. I found another folder with the same songs only they are wave and mislabeled. I fix all that and deleted the 'MxM' folder. Now everything is as it should be. I'm sure there are more issues here, but for now I'm satisfied. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                  X