This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else having sound output setting issues? Mine won't save

I had hoped this would get fixed with one of the latest updates, but I'm at plasma 5.21 and still no change.

Almost every time I boot up or log in, System Settings looses my sound output settings. I say almost because once in a blue moon it gets it right, accidentally apparently. I have two monitors connected to a five-port Radeon RX580. Thank goodness it no longer lists ALL the ports in Audio Configure like it used to - only the active ones.

Monitor 1 is connected to DP-3 and monitor 2 to HDMI-A-0. Audio Settings list these as "Ellesmere HDMI Audio", HDMI 5 for DP-3 and HDMI 4 for HDMI-A-0. There is also Built-in Audio Digital Stereo (IEC958) on the mobo. I also have "Add virtual output device..." and "Automatically switch all running..." checked.

The odd renaming convention is strange and confusing enough but to make matters worse, it always starts up setting Playback Devices to HDMI-4 - the monitor without speakers - AND sets the primary sound output to the Built-in Audio which also has no speaker connection. I used to use the built-in audio for wireless headphones but they died a couple years ago I and I haven't bothered to replace them as I have a bluetooth set now. I set the output to the Simultaneous virtual device.

99% of the time when I restart the computer I have to open System Settings and change HDMI-4 to HDMI-5, then select the "Simultaneous..." output instead of the Built-In audio. Even when works 1% of the time, it still has changed my settings by selecting HDMI-5 instead of Simultaneous output. It's extremely maddening.

I want to just give up on it like I finally had to with kscreen (total junk - never once got my monitor config right on multiple computers) and override the settings with a script at log in, but I don't know if there's even a way to do that. Xrandr is easily used to override kscreen but what do I use to set audio streams?

Please Read Me

Have you created a new user and tested with it? Just so you can determine if it's something in your user configs?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Same behavior on other user (blank account used for this purpose). However, logging back in as my user without rebooting retained the previous settings so it must occur only on reboot. That's probably the reason for my perception that it isn't happening 100% of the time. I rarely just log out as I'm the only user of the system.

Please Read Me

Comment

I spoke too soon. I just looged out and back in again and it reverted to the bad settings

Please Read Me

Comment

Not a 'solution'; more of a potential kluge, but after you make the change needed through the GUI and seeing that it was actually saved, how about setting the affected configuration file's immutable bit?

Comment

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking, except where the heck is it?

Please Read Me

Comment

Maybe this bug report may provide insight? https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulse...o/-/issues/876

Comment

What's your audio driver? Perhaps modinfo yourdriver will show some param that you can set at boot time?
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, I found this file but I'm not sure what to do with it yet:

/usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets/default.conf

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    What's your audio driver? Perhaps modinfo yourdriver will show some param that you can set at boot time?
                    plain ole' snd_hda_codec_generic nothing revealed there

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                    X