X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
    Thanks for the link, chimak111
    That page explains a LOT. I'm 2 versions behind on plasma, 3 versions behind on qt5-make, libnvidia-egl-wayland1 isn't even in the repository, and modset wasn't set. I'm surprised Wayland ran at all on my now 9 year old Acer Aspire V3-771G laptop.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, I' quite surprised too.
      I tried it with nvidia on Plasma 5.21.80 (which is basically 5.22 beta), Did the nvidia-drm.modeset=1, /sys/module/nvidia_drm/parameters/modeset said "Y", and... no wayland. Blank. Crash Boom.

Comment

Well, I'm going with the old adage: "If it ain't broken don't fix it!" Since my Nvidia driver is working so well I am going to leave well enough alone.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Plasma 5.21 arrived for my KDEneon install so I tried Wayland on my desktop. Appears to be no way to configure dual monitors...

Please Read Me

Comment

I have no trouble accessing and using the display configuration in System Settings here (PC with AMD graphics) but getting the mouse to move between the them after changing a setting does not work.
            But I can scale my TV (4K) separately from the monitor (1080p)

But, making any changes, As soon as I hit Apply, the screens become separated in the config, and act as separate screens instead of the desired extended setup, and the mouse won't move to my primary display.
            then, to reconfigure the screens, I have to use alt-drag in the tool in order to 'reconnect' the monitors in the window, hit apply, and things work normally. For now lol.

Will see if this survives reboots and/or disabling my TV via the systray or System Settings

AND I cannot pin my clock/calendar widget (Event Calendar), which I often do when using its timer function. Or any widgets, for that matter.

Buggy for sure but not terrible (for me, once it is set up) . Will see how it works for more than a few minute's use here.

Comment

There's no display configuration options in System Settings and I get this error if I try to launch wdisplays: Compositor doesn't support wlr-output-management-unstable-v1. xrandr does nothing.

I've searched but nothing comes up as a solution.

My setup is a 39" wide screen as my main display with a 1920x1080 rotated screen as the second screen to the right. Wayland defaults with the monitors as 2:1 instead of 1:2 and of course doesn't rotate the small screen. It does get the resolution and refresh rates correct tho.

Please Read Me

Comment

Do you have kscren installed?

Does wdisplays support kwin ? Or is it the other way 'round? I don't see any info saying it does. Most support seems, as per usual, mostly towards Gnome's window manager choices. They have been at this a bit longer
                And yeah, xrandr sort of requires x
                I have no idea how Kwin can be configured via the command line,.

An unspoken and not-well-discussed thing about Wayland or anything similar is the by-design difficulty of managing and tweaking things like we can do in crusty, insecure Xorg, all in the name of security, or whatever.

Comment

No I don;t have kscreen installed because it prevents saving monitor setups in X

I'll install that and see if that changes things. BRB

Please Read Me

Comment

Ok, install kscreen allowed monitor settings. It does not have a "primary" setting so initially all my widgets were on the wrong screen. By disabling the right screen and applying, then re-enabling it everything moved to the correct monitor.

Issues at this point:
                    Conky is whacked - specifically the I have 4 conky instances running and two of them have an X offset that was not honored so they laid over the conky's to the left of them.
                    I use a keyboard/mouse sharing program (I have anywhere from 2 to 4 computers running when I'm working - no one wants that many mice/kb combos!) called Synergy and it does not appear to work. I haven't played with it yet though. I will probably email the developer.

On the plus side the screen effects were crisp and quick feeling. I may run with it some more over the weekend when I don't need to work.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                    X