Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are any of you using Kernel 5.8? Because I'm using 5.4.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are any of you using Kernel 5.8? Because I'm using 5.4.

Is there any harm in using Kernel 5.4 over 5.8? The reason I ask is because after I installed Kubuntu I installed the updates and I clicked on the reboot button and it looked like it was going reboot but then things appeared be freezing so I did a force shutdown and after about a few minutes latter and I turned my computer back on and seemed to boot fine but I'm running kernel 5.4 .Is this because I damaged kernel 5.8? Or is this possibly because 5.8 isn't compatible with my hardware?

Harm? *buntu 20.04 ships with kernel 5.4. Where did you get 5.8? Did you add a ppa after you installed Kubuntu 20.04?

You might want to read the following: https://www.techrepublic.com/article...-how-to-do-it/
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Harm? *buntu 20.04 ships with kernel 5.4. Where did you get 5.8? Did you add a ppa after you installed Kubuntu 20.04?

You might want to read the following: https://www.techrepublic.com/article...-how-to-do-it/
      It is available (early) if you install the hwe stack.

Some time very soon, the 5.8 will make it to 20.04 proper, with the next point release, iirc
      Some users seem to have gotten it early (or installed hwe), and may be a cause for some of the recent audio/networking problems.

sudo apt install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-20.04
      Last edited by claydoh; Feb 02, 2021, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSapien64 View Post
        Is there any harm in using Kernel 5.4 over 5.8? The reason I ask is because after I installed Kubuntu I installed the updates and I clicked on the reboot button and it looked like it was going reboot but then things appeared be freezing so I did a force shutdown and after about a few minutes latter and I turned my computer back on and seemed to boot fine but I'm running kernel 5.4 .Is this because I damaged kernel 5.8? Or is this possibly because 5.8 isn't compatible with my hardware?

What makes you think you even have installed the 5.8 kernel in 20.04?
        You have not specified how you may have installed the kernel, or are you just expecting it?

Technically, there is no harm in using the 5.8 kernel, especially once it has been officially released to 20.04 (soon I believe) , though if things hold to past LTS timelines, only new installs of 20.04.2 (out seen, a few days maybe) will have this automatically. Installs prior to this will have to enable it manually.

The wiki is completely confusing and useless for this on 20.04, for some reason
        https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEn..._-_Focal_Fossa

I am running it on my laptop, which was only to test out some hopeful improvements in some support for tablet mode etc. There were none, but nothing was broken, either.
        Luckily, one can easily boot back to the 5.4 via grub, as the previous version is not removed when upgrading to the newer kernel.

Comment

Okay so I have no reason to worry? Because I remember the first time I tried installing Kubuntu 20.04.1 the installer crashed (because I had third party software checked) and when I booted into it I installed the updates and I believe it was running kernel 5.8 but then again even before the updates it wasn't functional because the installer crashed.
          Although after installing Kubuntu again it now seems to be in working order.

Comment

I just checked my Kubuntu version and it says that I'm running version 20.04.2 but my kernel version is still 5.4.
            Why am I still on version 5.4?

Comment

Not sure if they have flipped the switch , so to speak, on the 5.8 kernel for existing installs as of yet . New installs using the 20.04.2 iso will have it already.

if you are impatient:

Code:
              sudo apt install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-20.04
              In the past, LTS users who installed *buntu previous to the .2 release needed to do this. For 20.04 on desktop installs, it is supposed to be automatic now, but not sure how or when this is done.

Comment

@claydoh

Thanks I hope it comes down soon.

Comment

O.K., I just installed Kubuntu 20.04.2, as a clean install back-grade from 20.10. The install went really well, and right now:
                  Code:
                  inxi -Sxxx
                  System:
                   Host: john-HP-ENVY-x360 Kernel: 5.8.0-41-generic x86_64 bits: 64 
                   compiler: N/A Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.18.5 tk: Qt 5.12.8 wm: kwin_x11 
                   dm: SDDM Distro: Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (Focal Fossa)
                  I looks like the xx.xx.2 once again steps out with the more advanced kernel. It seems to be working well, which means the whole package is designed to work around 5.8.0.

On the only downside, Thunderbird dropped back to v68, which meant setting up the account from the ground up. It took a while as I didn't have good notes on the AT&T OAuth key that they require for "unknown" (to them) email clients. Made some notes this time, JIC. All the other configs worked without any adventures.

This may cause confusion with what happens on an upgrade from 20.04.1 to 20.04.2, versus a clean install of 20.04.2, but it looks like the upgrade path does not automatically install the higher level kernel.
                  The next brick house on the left
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

I'm running 5.8 on all my machines and have been for awhile with no problems. You just have to install it manually the first time, then you'll get updates. I typically keep the last series - last version on just in case, but haven't had problems yet. The early 5.4s didn't support my NIC so I had to stop upgrading kernels for 4-5 months but all is OK now.

--Edit-- ...on all my 20.04 machines. My server is 18.04 so still 5.0 series.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                      Not sure if they have flipped the switch , so to speak, on the 5.8 kernel for existing installs as of yet . New installs using the 20.04.2 iso will have it already.
                      In the past, LTS users who installed *buntu previous to the .2 release needed to do this. For 20.04 on desktop installs, it is supposed to be automatic now, but not sure how or when this is done.
                      Just speculation on my part, but maybe existing installs won't be automatically updated to the 5.8 kernel until the next one (linux-image-5.8.0-44-generic?) is pushed out. My reasoning for this is that on the recently released desktop 20.04.2 iso, only the linux-image-5.8.0-43-generic kernel is listed in the manifest, hence why a new install already gets it by default, but perhaps 5.8.0-43 was already patched to the same level as 5.4.0-65, and so when 5.8.0-44 comes along it will go out to all desktop 20.04 LTS users (unless the user has already opted out of HWE).
                      Code:
                      [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#54ff54][B]TRobo@desktop[/B][COLOR=#000000]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B]~[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]$ lsb_release -a  [/COLOR]
                      No LSB modules are available. 
                      Distributor ID: Ubuntu 
                      Description:    Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS 
                      Release:        20.04 
                      Codename:       focal

For me, everything else seems to have flipped over to 20.04.2 automatically already:

xserver is 1.20.9
                      Mesa is 20.2.6

[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                      X