This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All apps disappear overnight

Two days ago I installed 20.04. I usually leave my PC on overnight with all apps running. Since the new installation, both nights, all apps had disappeared the next morning and had to be restarted, which is a big nuisance. The apps included Chrome and Mozilla browsers, Konsole, Krusader, System Monitor and Dashlane. Also, Dashlane exited, though set to stay on for 14 days. I'm running Kubuntu on an ASUS Vivobook 17 X 705UB laptop. What can be causing these disappearances, and how can I get back to the apps staying on continuously?

OK I have no real idea, but let's start the ball rolling. Have you been able to run all these apps before, like with a previous distro? I see that Dashlane is a pw manager but is not native to Linux, how are you running it? I'd suspect it's a resource issue, run top to see how you stack up. Otherwise, try leaving one of these off and see how it goes. Personally, System Monitor uses resources, if that is an issue, then don't run it.

Comment

After I replied I searched for an answer and see that W10 users have had this problem with sleep mode and hibernate. Maybe that is what is happening here.

Comment

When you leave the computer running, if you explicitly suspend the computer, does it restart correctly, on pressing a shift key? If so, is it an option to suspend the computer overnight?

I suspect that some part of KDE plasma is crashing when it tries to go to sleep.

Conceivably, there's a power issue in the middle of the night, though you should be able to distinguish the resulting login prompt from the lock screen prompt.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks for your response, and for trying to help. Sorry for the delay over the holiday weekend.
          To answer your questions, All the apps that are disappearing worked perfectly well, without this problem, when I was running Kubuntu 18.04, and I was leaving the PC running for days and even weeks at a time then. The disappearing only started as soon as I'd installed 20.04 version of the OS. A day or so ago, I had only the Konsole app running and it disappeared after not being used for a few hours. I haven't tried other combinations of apps yet, but I suspect it is not the apps that are causing the disappearance
          Some months ago, I had a problem with the computer shutting down overnight, and as I recall I solved it by resetting some time period in some Settings, but now I can't find the place in System Settings to reset that period of time for the power to stay on/system to stay awake. Is there another Settings place where this might be found?
          You suggest to run "top", which I have done, and I get a list of processes running. But I don't know what to look for on the output that would be of help. Can you suggest something to look for?

Comment

Reply to jlittle. The reply a few minutes ago was to Fred 47, As a Newbie, I'm still learning how to make replies on Kubuntu Forum . When I tried to reply to Fred 47 with a Post, I got an error message saying I wasn't authorized to make a Post. So I used the writing window at the bottom of list of Replies, as I'm doing now.
            So John, I just tried suspending to RAM with most of my apps running, and when I touched the Space bar, I got back all the apps. I did have to Login however, so I guess I got the Login prompt. I don't know what the Lock Screen prompt is like since I never use Lock Screen. Can you describe it for me?
            I will try Suspending overnight and see if that keeps my apps from disappearing. But they have disappeared even during the day, a couple of times, so I may have to try to remember to Suspend even during the day when I know I won't be working for a while.
            I'll keep looking for a place where there is time period set for continued operation, but I haven't been able to find it in System Settings. Do you have any suggestion for another place to look for it?

Comment

My first thought was that your computer was actually shutting down/rebooting, considering that *all* your open applications closed.

The lock screen will look quite identical to the login screen, using default theming and settings. But the actual login manager --SDDM is unrelated and is a separate thing from the lock screen.

I believe that by default, resuming from suspend does in fact lock the screen - requiring you to enter your password to open it back up.
              It is the same screen you can get if you leave your system idle for some period, or manually lock it (Meta-L, or the right-click desktop menu)

The login manager screen provides you with more/different choices:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220420_085830.png
Views:	160
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	662317

The lock screen will have only password block, switch user as options

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220420_085730.png
Views:	160
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	662316

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse Weil View Post
                I did have to Login however, so I guess I got the Login prompt.
                That was the lock screen prompt. If you don't like getting that (I don't), system settings, workspace behaviour, screen locking, uncheck the "Lock screen automatically" boxes. One can still lock the screen with a shortcut, default Ctrl-Alt-L. And, you can make its appearance distinctive there.
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                X