This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deleting folders in /media/username/

Hi, I am using kubunu 20.04 from an external usb 3.1 HDD. That means that any time I connect my kubuntu in a new pc/laptop, new folders appear under /media/myusername, depending on the hard drives or media in that computer.
    Now I am trying to control that with the fstab file, forcing them to mount in a specific folder under /media/myusername instead of the alphanumeric default folder kubuntu creates.
    My question is if I can safely delete the folders that had been created by the system, and no longer need, under the /media/myusername folder; without harming the system in any way.
    Thank you very much for your time.

Normally the directories in /media/$USER/ that are added by the system are removed by the system. I don't know how you got directories there that are not for current mounts; I suggest they shouldn't be there and deleting them is a good idea.
    forcing them to mount in a specific folder under /media/myusername instead of the alphanumeric default folder kubuntu creates
    If the volume has a label, that label is used in /media/$USER/, which would be simpler. The partition manager can set labels, and there's commands for various file system types.
    Now I am trying to control that with the fstab file
    IMO it's better to use system settings, hardware section, removable storage, removable devices to mount removable storage.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

IMO it's generally a bad idea to use system folders for custom purposes. In this case, the /media folder is a system folder used to allow root to mount a removable device (as required) but allow a logged-in and active user read-write access to it. The user folder under /media is created when you are logged in and insert a removable device and has special properties as seen here:
      Code:
      stuart@office:~$ sudo getfacl /media/stuart
      getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
      # file: media/stuart
      # owner: root
      # group: root
      user::rwx
      user:stuart:r-x
      group::---
      mask::r-x
      other::---
      vs. my home folder:
      Code:
      stuart@office:~$ sudo getfacl /home/stuart/
      getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
      # file: home/stuart/
      # owner: stuart
      # group: stuart
      user::rwx
      group::r-x
      other::r-x
      I would always recommend mounting any device in a standard location to avoid issue like left over folders and such. Use /home/<USER> to mount things you want to access exclusively and /mnt for other devices.

I agree with jlittle's advice to stick with the built-in mounting capabilities for removable devices to avoid little nagging issues such as this.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you both for your answers.

Can we say that If these folders are empty, and none of the partitions are mounted to these folders, I can delete them?. At worst, they will be created again by the system if there are no corresponding entry in the /etc/fstab file, right?

Thanks

Comment

Yes, they are safe to delete.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you very much! =)

Comment

Working...
            X