X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pre install advice

After buying a new NVME m.2 500 gb storage for my pc. So currently I have:

250 GB - SSD with MS win10/Kubuntu and a data partition (so three in total)
    120 GB SSD - nothing important ready for reformatting

2x500GB HDD's one is photos and to be left alone, the other to be reformatted.

I have a few questions:
    1) Would I be best to clone the current SSD to the new NVME ? or just start fresh - given that I want a fresh Kubuntu anyways?

2) I had Kubuntu 20.04 and honestly was not happy, loads of little issues, is 20.04.1 any improved? Or am I best not bothering to partition and wait for a better release ?
    issues were
    "

1 - My webcam won't work and when I try to use it the whole system freezes - its a new logitech Streamcam and it's newness seems to be the issue.

2 - Installed KDEnlive, seemed fine, then some bug when you press render just hangs on waiting

3 - Installed KILE editor, didn't work uninstalled it and now it works

4 - KRDC unable to remote desktop into my raspberry pi, just get a blue screen, can vnc in zero issues on other PC.

5 - If I close VLC but clicking 'x' on the window during playback it never stops and lives in the taskbar and cannot be killed or used again till a reboot.

I have a 'snap' folder for some installed programs outputs, not sure what that is. Really annoyed with my experience as other I love Kubuntu and enjoy it as a whole, but the above are just not usable taken together.
    "

Just looking for some advice, thanks for reading.
    Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

Originally posted by natman View Post
    2 - Installed KDEnlive, seemed fine, then some bug when you press render just hangs on waiting
    Michael Tunnell from the TuxDigital youtube channel is a big Kdenlive proponent and he's said the 20.08 release has a lot of "stability improvements". That's much later than the version I see in muon in Kubuntu 20.04. You could try the appimage from the Kdenlive download page.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

1) Would I be best to clone the current SSD to the new NVME ? or just start fresh - given that I want a fresh Kubuntu anyways?
      Seems you have answered your own question here - install new.

2) I had Kubuntu 20.04 and honestly was not happy, loads of little issues, is 20.04.1 any improved? Or am I best not bothering to partition and wait for a better release ?
      Well, not trying to be snarky, but yes it's obviously improved since it's been through 4 months of bug fixes and upgrades. Without knowing any of your issues it's impossible to say whether your experience will be better or not.

1 - My webcam won't work and when I try to use it the whole system freezes - its a new logitech Streamcam and it's newness seems to be the issue.
      You probably should start a thread with some info in it. Maybe someone can help.

Not withstanding the latest improvements jlittle refers to, IME KDEnlive has always been buggy. Since I rarely need to edit videos, I just use something else.

3 - Installed KILE editor, didn't work uninstalled it and now it works
      Nothing to answer here.

4 - KRDC unable to remote desktop into my raspberry pi, just get a blue screen, can vnc in zero issues on other PC.
      I remote to my pi using something else. RealVNC's VNC Viewer and VNC Server work excellently.

5 - If I close VLC but clicking 'x' on the window during playback it never stops and lives in the taskbar and cannot be killed or used again till a reboot.
      The last couple releases of VLC have had a lot of bugs. - in other words it's a VLC problem. I doubt it "cannot be killed" you're just not going deep enough into the kill process. Try a "kill -9 " on the process ID. That usually kills anything. Logging out (rather than a reboot) will usually end al the user processes also.

I have a 'snap' folder for some installed programs outputs, not sure what that is. Really annoyed with my experience as other I love Kubuntu and enjoy it as a whole, but the above are just not usable taken together.
      Yes, and many of us hate snaps as well. Although, it may be an exaggeration to say it makes Kubuntu "not usable." Most of us just uninstall it. There are a few applications that have moved to snap packages only so depending on your desires software-wise you may have to learn to live with it. This was a move made by Canonical so all the *buntus will have this including KDEneon. Just uninstall it and don't use snap applications and you'll never notice it, at least for now.
      Last edited by oshunluvr; Aug 21, 2020, 06:45 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

I am running 20.04.1, and so far I am enjoying it. No problems here.

You're probably right about the Streamcam being too new. I just tried my Logitech C270, and it's still working well. It's a 720p camera, but it works well for what little bit that I do.

As for the rest of it, I believe oshunluvr pretty well covered that.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Sorry OP here again, about to re install (again) and just want some help on the partition table how do, I want to install Kubuntu along side win10 on my 500GB nvme, currently I see this at installation

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19dg...ew?usp=sharing

So what do I do to the nvme, and where do place the boot loader?
          Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

Comment

Boot to windows, shrink the windows partition, install Kubuntu.

Since you have 2 drives, often the choice is to install grub to the drive that is not booting windows. Then set the computer to boot to the GRUB drive, thus leaving your windows boot loader intact.

Do you have 2 Windows installs? Looks like it based on what's on the hard drive. SDE5 appears to be an EFI partition.

Please Read Me

Comment

For a dual boot setup, with multiple drives, here is what I did initially. I chose to have windows on a sata SSD since it's not my primary OS, and gave Linux the full nvme drive.

I physically disconnected the ssdn with windows from the sata cable so the installer would not see the drive.

I then boot from the live USB and install Linux. After testing the install to make sure everything is fine, I reconnect the windows drive then set the Linux drive as my primary in the bios boot order.

Then boot into Linux, and run

sudo update-grub

And both OSes appear in the grub boot screen.

Why do it like this?

I believe this is the preferred option for people with multiple drives. Windows has its own drive with it's own bootloader to do as it pleases. Windows likes to periodically hijack the efi partition during release updates. This way your Ubuntu loader won't get borked.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X