No announcement yet.

Lubuntu or Kubuntu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why aren’t you selecting *Ubuntu from the Grub menu? That is the Kubuntu entry you are looking for. Installing Kubuntu doesn’t create a *Kubuntu entry in Grub.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by MarkS View Post
      Yes, I select "Grml Rescue System..." since that is what Smart Disk Creator added to my Grub. All other entries boot normal. Yes, I can change the order in BIOS but makes no difference.
      So, to be clear this is what you see when you boot using the USB, correct?

Originally posted by MarkS View Post
      *Ubuntu
      Advanced options for Ubuntu
      Windows boot manager
      Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS (20.04) (on /dev/sda9)
      UEFI Firmware Settings
      Grml Rescue System (lubuntu-17.10.1-desktop-amd64.iso
      If this is correct, then the USB's (and the DVD's) Grub boot loader is detecting the "Grml Rescue System" as something already installed or present on your system, along with your Windows OS and 20.04 install, the Startup Disk Creator tool is NOT putting this on the USB
      Select the Ubuntu entry at the top to boot into the 22.04 installer.
      You can ignore grml for now.

My quick guess is that this some utility was used to create a menu entry that can boot an iso image directly from a hard drive. This is a thing that can be done
      EDIT:
      yup grml-rescueboot :
      https://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2015/05/e...ootrescue.html

This is a bit old, but it sure looks familiar.....
      Last edited by claydoh; Dec 20, 2022, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Okay so I entered BIOS and moved UEFI USB Device to the top of the boot sequence and rebooted. Kubutu started up this time but crashed unless I started in safe graphics mode. Installation went fine. Thanks for the pointers everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          Why aren’t you selecting *Ubuntu from the Grub menu? That is the Kubuntu entry you are looking for. Installing Kubuntu doesn’t create a *Kubuntu entry in Grub.
          Because when I do that Ubuntu came up. Thanks, I know what you mean. Seems like the latest version of whatever installation is is called Ubuntu on the Grub menu. Anyway, all working now.

Comment

Working...
          X