Lubuntu or Kubuntu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lubuntu or Kubuntu?

I have downloaded Kubuntu 22.04.01 and installed to USB stick. In Grub it shows Lubuntu 17.10 to select not Kubuntu. This seems odd. There is an install icon that shows "Install Lubuntu 17.10" but Kubuntu folder is on the desktop. I figured maybe developers are just using Lubuntu to install Kubuntu so I try and install but keeps telling me dev sda and sdb are mounted and freezes. Anyone know what's happening? Yes I did use shaa256 to checksum.
    Last edited by MarkS; Dec 19, 2022, 04:41 PM.

Originally posted by MarkS View Post
    Grub it shows Lubuntu 17.10
    That is wrong on more than one level for sure.

Lubuntu actually uses a different installer from Kubuntu/Ubuntu now (Calamares vs Ubiquity), and in both cases they would show 22.04, definitely not the old non-LTS version 17.10 from 5 years ago.
    The actual OS images found on the ISOs for each are completely different, Kubuntu's is a Plasma base image and Lubuntu's would be an LXQt based one. This isn't something that would be shared, since the OS image itself is written to the disk
    I think something is buggered with your USB , or the specific software used to create it.

I assume you downloaded the Kubuntu iso from here: https://kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/, and the file name is specifically kubuntu-22.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso ?
    Last edited by claydoh; Dec 19, 2022, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      That is wrong on more than one level for sure.

Lubuntu actually uses a different installer from Kubuntu/Ubuntu now (Calamares vs Ubiquity), and in both cases they would show 22.04, definitely not the old non-LTS version 17.10 from 5 years ago.
      The actual OS images found on the ISOs for each are completely different, Kubuntu's is a Plasma base image and Lubuntu's would be an LXQt based one. This isn't something that would be shared, since the OS image itself is written to the disk
      I think something is buggered with your USB , or the specific software used to create it.

I assume you downloaded the Kubuntu iso from here: https://kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/, and the file name is specifically kubuntu-22.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso ?
      Yes, that is the file I downloaded and created a startup USB stick with. Grub selection is labeled Lubuntu 17.10 and when the USB starts up, there is an icon to "Install Lubuntu 17.10 but a folder for Kubuntu 22.04.01 with all the Kubuntu files. Tried this a couple time burning the startup USB, same result. Same thing happened when I use a DVD to install.
      Last edited by MarkS; Dec 19, 2022, 05:20 PM.

Comment

I can't reproduce this here. Using both dd on the command line or Balena Etcher to create a USB installer, using an iso freshly downloaded

The only thing that might cause this I can think of would be a temporary mixup on Ubuntu's file server pointing to the wrong file. But if you did accidentally get a Lubuntu iso, you would not see traces of 'kubuntu' when booting it.

Have you by chance ever used this USB for Lubuntu in the past?

I'd suggest re-downloading and re-verifying the iso, and wiping the USB, or using a different one. Try a different software tool to create it, such as Etcher or Ventoy
        You should be able to poke around the files on the stick and look at things such as file manifests and grub configs to verify it mentions Kubuntu

Comment

I may have used the USB stick to load Lubuntu 5 years ago. I used Kp3 to delete the old partitions on the USB and re tried Smart Startup but same results. Boots with a Lubuntu window manager with a Kubuntu file folder and "Install Lubuntu 17.01" icon.

The odd part is I can burn to a DVD and get the same result so not the USB stick. The Grub selection I get is "Grlm Rescue System (lubuntu-17.10.1-desktop-amd64.iso. I get no selection for Kubuntu. Sounds like Grub may be the problem?
          Last edited by MarkS; Dec 19, 2022, 07:42 PM.

Comment

(When you say "installed to USB stick" I now presume you meant you "wrote" (or "burned") it to a USB stick; installing Kubuntu to a USB stick is quite possible these days, and initially that's what I thought you'd done.)

To boot from the Kubuntu iso, what do you do? Do you press F12 or F8 or something to interrupt the normal boot, then choose Kubuntu from the choices you see?

I suspect your computer is booting in BIOS mode, and grub from some ancient Lubuntu install is in the MBR gap of a BIOS/MBR hard drive in your system, or something like that. You need to boot the computer in UEFI mode to install Kubuntu 22.04. I suggest you look closely at the choices I referred to above; there may be several Kubuntu ones, and sometimes the one you want has to be found by scrolling down. Perhaps you can disable "compatibility" mode in the firmware. If I'm right and you're not installing to the old drive, it might work to disconnect that drive temporarily.

Writing a Kubuntu 22.04 iso to DVD sounds like an achievement. That the DVD does the same is evidence that the boot moves on to another drive.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

jlittle:
              I use the Startup Disk Creator to burn the Kubuntu iso to a 256gb USB stick. I may have used this once before for a Lubuntu installation years ago. I would think the Startup Disk Creator would erase and reformat but maybe not. When I boot, Grub screen sees the USB sick as Lubuntu not Kubuntu. I have the same problem when booting directly from the DVD. It's a fresh Kubuntu iso with correct sha256 checksum. It boots into a Lubuntu window manager.

Comment

I suspect you're booting from the hard drive, not from USB. Most UEFI PCs do not allow booting from USB automatically. For instance, in my Lenovo I have to repeatedly press F12 to choose the USB stick to boot.

Comment

arsivci:

Not booting off the hard drive. I can chose where to boot in the BIOS. I can boot off optical drive or USB. Same result. Boots into a Lubuntu window manager.

Comment

Not booting off the hard drive.
                    We're suggesting that the boot from the USB or DVD fails very early, so the firmware tries to find another drive to boot from. Other than that I can't imagine how the DVD could possibly get you anywhere near anything that says "Lubuntu".
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

There must be a log file that tells me what's going on during boot. Initrd.log or something?
                      These are my boot options in grub.

*Ubuntu
                      Advanced options for Ubuntu
                      Windows boot manager
                      Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS (20.04) (on /dev/sda9)
                      UEFI Firmware Settings
                      Grml Rescue System (lubuntu-17.10.1-desktop-amd64.iso

I have Kubuntu 20.04.5 LTS installed on sda9.

The Grub selection Grml Rescue...boots the dvd or USB. What should the Grub entry look like for Kubuntu 22 ?

Comment

Grml Rescue System (lubuntu-17.10.1-desktop-amd64.iso
                        Seems to me, that this is what is getting booted?
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snohog:

Yes, exactly. That is the new Grub entry created when I used Statup Disk Creator pointing to Kubuntu 22.04.01 LTS amd64.iso
                          Last edited by MarkS; Dec 20, 2022, 01:39 PM.

Comment

*Ubuntu <<< This is for the Kubuntu 22.04 installer
                            Advanced options for Ubuntu <<<< so is this
                            Windows boot manager <<<< Obvious
                            Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS (20.04) (on /dev/sda9) <<<< This is Kubuntu 20.04
                            UEFI Firmware Settings <<<< Open BIOS settings (may/may not work)
                            Grml Rescue System (lubuntu-17.10.1-desktop-amd64.iso <<<< No idea what this is

What you have above is what the *buntu installer USB will look like, as it is all Ubuntu as this low level.

The other entries below 'advanced' are for other OS entries that the USB stick's own Grub detects when booting, plus the UEFI firmware entry (your BIOS settings)

So your computer bios seems to want to boot this Grml rescue system entry with a higher priority for some reason?
                            You can change that of course

Also note that each *installed* Linux OS will have its own separate Grub boot loader.
                            And each grub can boot all the other installed OSs, if they have been updated (usually when its kernel gets an update)
                            So it usually a good idea to set your desired Linux OS as the main boot OS in the Bios, and check every now and then, as Windows updates often changes this.
                            Last edited by claydoh; Dec 20, 2022, 02:36 PM.

Comment

"So your computer bios seems to want to boot this Grml rescue system entry with a higher priority for some reason?
                              You can change that of course​"
                              Yes, I select "Grml Rescue System..." since that is what Smart Disk Creator added to my Grub. All other entries boot normal. Yes, I can change the order in BIOS but makes no difference.

I'm looking for the initrd.log so I can see what's happening at boot up. Forget how to use the "su udpatedb" and locate commands.

Comment

Working...
                              X