Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I do command-line upgrade to 20.04 to fix botched upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I do command-line upgrade to 20.04 to fix botched upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04?

tl;dr After running Kubuntu 16.04 for years on a vanilla Dell desktop, I upgraded to 18.04, but on booting the computer freezes at the splash screen. After great effort I managed to achieve a terminal login. I want to get my computer upgraded all the way to 22.04. Should I try to fix this botched upgrade before proceeding, or try a command-line upgrade to 20.04 and hope the problem goes away?

The only clue I could find about what might be causing the freeze is entries in the .xsession-errors file:

Code:
    Menu "applications-kmenuedit.menu" not found.
    The desktop entry file "/usr/share/applications/org.kde.drkonqi.desktop" has Type= "Application" but no Exec line
    kf5.kservice.sycoca: Invalid Service :  "/usr/share/applications/org.kde.drkonqi.desktop"
    The desktop entry file "/usr/share/applications/org.kde.systemmonitor.desktop" has Type= "Application" but no Exec line
    kf5.kservice.sycoca: Invalid Service :  "/usr/share/applications/org.kde.systemmonitor.desktop"
    Saving
    kf5.kded: Could not load kded module "plasmavault":"The plugin '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/kf5/kded/plasmavault.so' uses incompatible Qt library. (5.9.5) [release]" (library path was:"/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/kf5/kded/plasmavault.so")
    kf5.kded: Could not load kded module "colord":"The shared library was not found." (library path was:"colord")
    Currrent active notifications: QHash(("notification 7", "KDE DaemonSystem Notification Helper"))
    Guessing partOf as: 7
     New Notification:  "System Notification Helper" "A system restart is needed to complete the update process" 10000 & Part of: 7
    file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/NotificationPopup.qml:115:23: QML Text: Binding loop detected for property "height"
    should recheck... QProcess(0x376e0d0) 0
    None
    None
    PolicyKit daemon disconnected from the bus.
    We are no longer a registered authentication agent.
    The X11 connection broke (error 1). Did the X11 server die?​

Detail:

Computer freezes at splash screen showing only the word "Kubuntu". I tried getting a terminal prompt by hitting ctrl-alt-f2, but only got a blinking cursor.

I thought it was a boot loader issue, so I got a live USB with boot-repair and had it do the recommended repair. This made no change except now I see the grub screen at startup instead of going straight to the splash screen.

I edited the grub entry by following the directions at: itsfoss com/fix-ubuntu-freezing/. Tried "nomodeset" , then "nouveau.noaccel=1"

No change until I tried "noapic noacpi nosplash irqpoll" which got me to a terminal login. Trying "startx" had no effect and created no error notifications in xsession-errors.

I copied and pasted the messages above from error output generated from previous boot attempts.

Any idea why an upgrade that should have been routine on a very plain desktop that had been running 16.04 without issues for years would fail so badly? Any ideas for a fix? I want to get eventually to 22.04. Should I try a command-line upgrade to 20.04 and hope that solves things?​​

If it's truly a "vanilla" desktop, why upgrade at all? 16.04 has been EOL for quite awhile now. You're probably a lot better off starting with a fresh install. It will take 1/10 of the time as well. Even if you had a custom desktop, it ill take WAY less time to re-create it than to go through 16.04 -> 18.04 -> 20.04 -> 22.04 upgrades.

Please Read Me

Comment

First off, I'd suggest trying to boot a live session of 22.04 to see if will runs well enough to begin with. And then use that to pull off any important files you want to save
      And though I am a huge proponent of upgrading, in this case, I would not recommend so many jumps.
      I personally would attempt upgrades like this myself, but only for the challenge and the fun.

There are any number of reason for an upgrade to go poof. Often it is just bad luck. It is always easy top blame Nviida as well, if that is involved.
      But an incomplete upgrade, or something crapped out. usually, one would see messages about this, no matter the method of upgrade, I think. My 16.04 era memories are sketchy
      Originally posted by blacksqr View Post
      The plugin '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/kf5/kded/plasmavault.so' uses incompatible Qt library. (5.9.5) [release]"
      These seems to indicate a mix of the old an new breaking things.

Try hitting ctrl-alt-f3 or f4,5,6 etc to get a tty, if F2 isn't working, or use the recovery option from the grub menus. If networking is available, you can try making sure all packages installed properly from the upgrade:

sudo dpkg --configure -a
      This will try ind finish installing any packages that were interrupted or didn't get fully installed
      sudo apt -f install
      This will try and install any packages that didn't get installed at all for whatever reason
      If the second one doesn't work and complains, such as 'command not found' or something, try sudo apt-get -f install. The first should work, but the syntax and command changed from apt-get to apt, and I can't recall. apt-get will work no matter what.

Then sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop as a final just-in-case catch-all

Last edited by claydoh; Sep 30, 2022, 01:44 PM.

Comment

As to performing three back-to-back upgrades, it will arguably be much quicker and easier to do a clean 22.04 install and setup than it would be to upgrade fix, then upgrade twice, and possibly fix again (possibly twice)
        Particularly if this is a vanilla setup.

Comment

Thanks for the tips; however, nothing worked.

After terminal login I ran "lightdm --test-mode --debug" and got the output below. The lines that stand out for me are:

"[SeatDefaults] is now called [Seat:*], please update this configuration"

"Seat seat0: Failed to find session configuration default"

"Seat seat0: Failed to create greeter session"

Any possibility for a quick fix to this evident problem?

Code:
          [+0.00s] DEBUG: Logging to /home/oem/.cache/lightdm/log/lightdm.log
          [+0.00s] DEBUG: Starting Light Display Manager 1.26.0, UID=1000 PID=2502
          [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /var/lib/snapd/desktop/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
          [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
          [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/40-kde-plasma-kf5.conf
          [+0.00s] DEBUG:   [SeatDefaults] is now called [Seat:*], please update this configuration
          [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-disable-guest.conf
          [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-disable-log-backup.conf
          [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-greeter-wrapper.conf
          [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-guest-wrapper.conf
          [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-xserver-command.conf
          [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /usr/local/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
          [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /etc/xdg/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
          [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
          [+0.00s] DEBUG: Running in user mode
          [+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module local
          [+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module xremote
          [+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module unity
          [+0.00s] DEBUG: Using D-Bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
          [+0.01s] DEBUG: Monitoring logind for seats
          [+0.01s] DEBUG: New seat added from logind: seat0
          [+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Loading properties from config section Seat:*
          [+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Starting
          [+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Creating greeter session
          [+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Failed to find session configuration default
          [+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Failed to create greeter session
          [+0.01s] DEBUG: Failed to start seat: seat0​

> If it's truly a "vanilla" desktop, why upgrade at all?
          For the reason anyone typically upgrades: bug fixes, security improvements, functionality enhancements.

> You're probably a lot better off starting with a fresh install.
          I don't want to overwrite anything and lose my existing work environment

> I'd suggest trying to boot a live session of 22.04 to see if will runs well enough to begin with
          The live USB I created to apply boot-repair was Kubuntu 22.04. It ran flawlessly.

Comment

> If it's truly a "vanilla" desktop, why upgrade at all?
            For the reason anyone typically upgrades: bug fixes, security improvements, functionality enhancements.
            What he meant by this, if it's a 'vanilla' installation; no customizations or very little; a fresh 'new' install of 20.04 is faster and fewer headaches than attempting the multi-stage upgrade process.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

At some point lightdm was replaced by sddm, I am almost positive it was with 18.04, so I am guessing that lightdm is possibly no longer active?
              sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm or sudo dpkg-reconfigure sddm should allow you to select the desired login manager, if both are installed.
              And probably the init system switched to systemd, though the previous commands should still work (symlinked to the new ones)
              If sddm is the current one, try:
              systemctl restart sddm

If startx isn't showing *any* output at all, it may be the wring command. Not sure what it was back then, but you should get a good idea from typing in start then tabbing for completion suggestions. startplasma or some oddball thing along those lines, perhaps.

I don't want to overwrite anything and lose my existing work environment
              THAT is going to happen, Plasma 5.24 is going to be quite different from the Plasma 5.5 in 16.04. I can't say how drastic you will find the changes to be, or what you will miss and love, but it won't be the same. Many changes, but smaller ones. Just a fair warning
              My best guess is many look and feel things won't work or their creators never kept them updated over the past 6 years. But the overall layout will still be familiar.
              I have no idea what desktop settings from then will carry over to today or not, but I would expect a bit of a mess, or most things just reverting to Plasma defaults.

Back up your $HOME, hopefully you have decent backups in general.

Still, I would bet a small amount of spare change that it would be easier and quicker, with lower blood pressure levels to start from scratch

Still, if I found a drive with 16.04 on it, I would probably do what you are attempting, just for fun, though I'd have no problem if/when things went south.

Comment

> At some point lightdm was replaced by sddm, I am almost positive it was with 18.04, so I am guessing that lightdm is possibly no longer active?

Code:
                $ cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager
                /usr/sbin/lightdm​

$ sudo systemctl restart display-manager
                Job for lightdm.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
                See "systemctl status lightdm.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.​

$ systemctl status lightdm.service
                ● lightdm.service - Light Display Manager
                   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service; indirect; vendor preset: enabled)
                   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2022-10-01 15:47:37 CDT; 2min 41s ago
                     Docs: man:lightdm(1)
                  Process: 2228 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/lightdm (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
                  Process: 2225 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c [ "$(basename $(cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager 2>/dev/null))" = "lightdm" ] (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
                 Main PID: 2228 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)​

$ journalctl -xe
                Oct 01 15:53:31 freegeekchicago sudo[2525]:      oem : TTY=tty1 ; PWD=/home/oem ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/systemctl restart display-manager
                Oct 01 15:53:31 freegeekchicago sudo[2525]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by oem(uid=0)
                Oct 01 15:53:31 freegeekchicago systemd[1]: Starting Detect the available GPUs and deal with any system changes...
                Oct 01 15:53:31 freegeekchicago systemd[1]: Started Detect the available GPUs and deal with any system changes.
                Oct 01 15:53:31 freegeekchicago systemd[1]: Starting Light Display Manager...
                Oct 01 15:53:31 freegeekchicago systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
                Oct 01 15:53:31 freegeekchicago systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
                Oct 01 15:53:31 freegeekchicago systemd[1]: Failed to start Light Display Manager.
                Oct 01 15:53:31 freegeekchicago sudo[2525]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root​

$ cat /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log
                [+0.00s] DEBUG: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log
                [+0.00s] DEBUG: Starting Light Display Manager 1.26.0, UID=0 PID=2650
                [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
                [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/40-kde-plasma-kf5.conf
                [+0.00s] DEBUG:   [SeatDefaults] is now called [Seat:*], please update this configuration
                [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-disable-guest.conf
                [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-disable-log-backup.conf
                [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-greeter-wrapper.conf
                [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-guest-wrapper.conf
                [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-xserver-command.conf
                [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /usr/local/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
                [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /etc/xdg/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
                [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
                [+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module local
                [+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module xremote
                [+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module unity
                [+0.00s] DEBUG: Using D-Bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
                [+0.00s] DEBUG: Monitoring logind for seats
                [+0.00s] DEBUG: New seat added from logind: seat0
                [+0.00s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Loading properties from config section Seat:*
                [+0.00s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Starting
                [+0.00s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Creating greeter session
                [+0.00s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Failed to find session configuration default
                [+0.00s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Failed to create greeter session
                [+0.00s] DEBUG: Failed to start seat: seat0​

$ cat ~/.dmrc
                [Desktop]
                Session=plasma​

$ ls /usr/share/xsessions
                default.desktop plasma.desktop
                Something appears to be causing lightdm to look for a "default" session configuration, even though I have "plasma" specified in my ~/.dmrc file. I copied the file plasma.desktop to default.desktop in /usr/share/xsessions, but lightdm isn't finding either of them. Why doesn't lightdm acknowledge /usr/share/xsessions/plasma.desktop? Is there somewhere else it's looking for session configuration files?

> Plasma 5.24 is going to be quite different from the Plasma 5.5 in 16.04. I can't say how drastic you will find the changes to be, or what you will miss and love, but it won't be the same.
                I expect the look and feel of the desktop environment will change, want I don't want to lose is my work environment, things like browser histories, program configurations. I back up a lot of stuff, but I don't want to go through the exercise of restoring from backup when the information isn't actually lost, just one program is malfunctioning.

Comment

The plasma-workspace package provides the file /usr/share/xsessions/plasma.desktop as the only file in that directory. The plasma-workspace package also provides the file /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/40-kde-plasma-kf5.conf which contains the line "user-session=kde-plasma-kf5". But there's no corresponding file /usr/share/xsessions/kde-plasma-kf5.desktop. So that would appear to be a bug right there.

But I made copies of /usr/share/xsessions/plasma.desktop named kde-plasma-kf5.desktop and default.desktop. No change. lightdm still complains that it can't find "session configuration default". I edited 40-kde-plasma-kf5.conf to read "user-session=plasma". Still no change.

The ultimate bug seems to be that lightdm resolutely refuses to acknowledge the contents of /usr/share/xsessions.

Any idea why that is or how to fix it?

Code:
                  $ lightdm --show-config
                     [Seat:*]
                  A  user-session=plasma
                  B  allow-guest=false
                  D  greeter-wrapper=/usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-greeter-session
                  E  guest-wrapper=/usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-guest-session
                  F  xserver-command=X -core

[LightDM]
                  C  backup-logs=false

Sources:
                  A  /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/40-kde-plasma-kf5.conf
                  B  /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-disable-guest.conf
                  C  /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-disable-log-backup.conf
                  D  /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-greeter-wrapper.conf
                  E  /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-guest-wrapper.conf
                  F  /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-xserver-command.conf​

Comment

I gave up on 18.04 and did a command-line upgrade to 20.04.

I got the same problem of freezing during GUI boot, but some command-line poking around showed that the upgrade did not switch the display manager from lightdm to sddm.

I used dpkg-reconfigure to make the switch to sddm, and after rebooting I finally got my GUI desktop.

I guess it will be an eternal mystery why lightdm wouldn't start on my computer.

If sddm is Kubuntu's default display manager from now on, you might want to make it so the upgrade does the switch to sddm from the previous default.

Comment

Working...
                    X