This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LAPTOP] Lenovo touchpad wont work

So I purchased a Lenovo V14iil model 82c4 laptop, with pre installed Microsuxs10(Ugg) but I decided I'll dual boot it to kubuntu.
    ONLY to find that after 12months there are no drivers for the touchpad, and Lenovo support, and/or forums are useless.
    I know, asking here is silly, but if anyone can assist, please

also

Is there a list of forum or something that lets linux users know beforehand the a laptop fully supports linux drivers, OS, etc ?

i need to purchased another laptop and try and sell this 12month old secondhand used and upgraded laptop to help cover the costs.
    Mnay thanks to the kubuntu forum community, I know I don't say it enough but I appeaciate your efforts.

Have you confirmed that it is actually a missing driver issue, and what steps have you tried in fixing it?

I searched for a few bug reports that suggest various fixes that some commenters have reported success with (as I'm not sure if you have tried them already):
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1909324
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1248...ad-not-working
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1853277

Lenovo is usually a fairly safe bet when it comes to linux compatibility, so this could be a bug rather than a driver issue (but I can't rule it out, obviously).

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDaves View Post
      So I purchased a Lenovo V14iil model 82c4 laptop, with pre installed Microsuxs10(Ugg) but I decided I'll dual boot it to kubuntu.
      ONLY to find that after 12months there are no drivers for the touchpad, and Lenovo support, and/or forums are useless.
      I know, asking here is silly, but if anyone can assist, please

also

Is there a list of forum or something that lets linux users know beforehand the a laptop fully supports linux drivers, OS, etc ?
      There used to be a website that kept track of the makes and models of laptops on which Linux could be installed, and each listing was ranked by how well the install went. However, the last time I looked, several years ago, it wasn't being well maintained because the number of makes and models have exploded, and the ability of Linux to install on almost all of them has increased considerably. https://ubuntu.com/certified is a website by Ubuntu that lists PCs and hardware they've certified. A more generic site is
      https://linux-hardware.org/

What most people do these days is take a LiveUSB with them and boot the prospective machine with it and test all the components of the machine to see if they work before one buys it.

I followed your postings all over the web seeking a solution to this problem since you purchased that laptop. You probably saw this, but in case you missed it here is the #66th post in the following thread:
      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...10/comments/66
      Code:
      At last I have a working touchpad on my Lenovo ThinkBook 15 IIL!! :)
      Ubuntu 20.04
      Kernel: 5.4.0-42-generic
      Steps to fix
      Do it as root:
      $ sudo su
      # apt update
      # apt install acpidump iasl cpio
      # cd /tmp

Get and disassemble the original acpi table:
        # acpidump -b
        # iasl -d dsdt.dat

Edit /tmp/dsdt.dsl:
       - Search the HID of the touch pad: ELAN0634
       - Search the next _STA method declaration (line 38922 in my case) and comment out these four lines:
        Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)  // _STA: Status
        {
            If ((TPVD == 0x45))
            {
                Return (0x0F)    #Return (Zero)
            {
        }

Probably the kernel calls the _STA method before the _REG method, so the TPVD not yet initialized here.
      Increment the version number. It’s the last parameter of the DefinitionBlock (line 21 for me):
        DefinitionBlock ("", "DSDT", 2, "LENOVO", "ICL     ", 0x20170002)
      Compile the dsl file:
        # iasl -sa dsdt.dsl

Create initrd archive:
        # mkdir -p kernel/firmware/acpi
        # mv dsdt.aml kernel/firmware/acpi
        # find kernel | cpio -H newc --create > /boot/acpi_fixed.cpio

Unfortunately the GRUB_EARLY_INITRD_LINUX_CUSTOM parameter in the /etc/default/grub config file results in a messy output and non booting system, so we need to create a custom script in /etc/grub.d directory instead.
      [COLOR=#e74c3c][B]create and edit: /etc/grub.d/50_acpi_patch[/B][/COLOR]
      copy these lines into it:
        #!/bin/sh
        sed -i -E 's/^(\s+initrd\s+)(.*)$/\1\/acpi_fixed.cpio \2/g' /boot/grub/grub.cfg.new
      Make it executable:
        # chmod +x /etc/grub.d/50_acpi_patch
      Update grub config:
        # update-grub
      Edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf. Add these lines to the end of the file:
        #Allow module elan_i2c to control the touch pad
        blacklist i2c_hid
      Reboot:
        # reboot
      Be happy!
      I don't know if you have the technical skill to implement this solution. And, maybe it will work, maybe it won't. I can't even say if this fix will survive a kernel update. It may be something you will have to apply after every kernel upgrade.
      Good luck.
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 20, 2022, 01:47 PM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        There used to be a website that kept track of the makes and models of laptops on which Linux could be installed, and each listing was ranked by how well the install went. However, the last time I looked, several years ago, it wasn't being well maintained because the number of makes and models have exploded, and the ability of Linux to install on almost all of them has increased considerably. https://ubuntu.com/certified is a website by Ubuntu that lists PCs and hardware they've certified. A more generic site is
        https://linux-hardware.org/

What most people do these days is take a LiveUSB with them and boot the prospective machine with it and test all the components of the machine to see if they work before one buys it.

I followed your postings all over the web seeking a solution to this problem since you purchased that laptop. You probably saw this, but in case you missed it here is the #66th post in the following thread:
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...10/comments/66
        Code:
        At last I have a working touchpad on my Lenovo ThinkBook 15 IIL!! :)
        Ubuntu 20.04
        Kernel: 5.4.0-42-generic
        [COLOR=#e74c3c][B]Steps to fix[/B][/COLOR]:
        Do it as root:
        $ sudo su
        # apt update
        # apt install acpidump iasl cpio
        # cd /tmp

# acpidump -b
        # iasl -d dsdt.dat

Edit /tmp/dsdt.dsl:
        - Search the HID of the touch pad: ELAN0634
        - Search the next _STA method declaration (line 38922 in my case) and comment out these four lines:
        Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized) // _STA: Status
        {
        [B][COLOR=#e74c3c]//[/COLOR][/B]If ((TPVD == 0x45))
        [B][COLOR=#e74c3c]//[/COLOR][/B]{
        Return (0x0F)
        [COLOR=#e74c3c][B]//[/B][/COLOR]}
        [COLOR=#e74c3c][B] //[/B][/COLOR]Return (Zero)
        }

Probably the kernel calls the _STA method before the _REG method, so the TPVD not yet initialized here.
        Increment the version number. It’s the last parameter of the DefinitionBlock (line 21 for me):
        DefinitionBlock ("", "DSDT", 2, "LENOVO", "ICL ", 0x20170002)
        Compile the dsl file:
        # iasl -sa dsdt.dsl

Create initrd archive:
        # mkdir -p kernel/firmware/acpi
        # mv dsdt.aml kernel/firmware/acpi
        # find kernel | cpio -H newc --create > /boot/acpi_fixed.cpio

Unfortunately the GRUB_EARLY_INITRD_LINUX_CUSTOM parameter in the /etc/default/grub config file results in a messy output and non booting system, so we need to create a custom script in /etc/grub.d directory instead.
        [COLOR=#e74c3c][B]create and edit: /etc/grub.d/50_acpi_patch[/B][/COLOR]
        copy these lines into it:
        #!/bin/sh
        sed -i -E 's/^(\s+initrd\s+)(.*)$/\1\/acpi_fixed.cpio \2/g' /boot/grub/grub.cfg.new
        Make it executable:
        # chmod +x /etc/grub.d/50_acpi_patch
        Update grub config:
        # update-grub
        Edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf. Add these lines to the end of the file:
        #Allow module elan_i2c to control the touch pad
        blacklist i2c_hid
        Reboot:
        # reboot
        Be happy!
        I don't know if you have the technical skill to implement this solution. And, maybe it will work, maybe it won't. I can't even say if this fix will survive a kernel update. It may be something you will have to apply after every kernel upgrade.
        Good luck.
        So grey geek. do I just copy & paste into text file, save as touchpad.sh and "run" it?
        FYI I don't tend to just install something some suggested especially from an unknown site, nor do I just haphazardly run a bunch of code with verification.

In answer to Kubicle. I went into settings,--> I forget hardware, (touchpad/mouse) and it immediatly went blank, so to speak. I couldn't search, I couldn't do anything except exit that section.
        I then went to Lenovo support, ending in forums, giigle searches, etc.
        Lastly asked in here.
        Thanks ppl for your help

Comment

Yep tried that list of instructions, NOW Linux is totally FrUitCakeD
          Click image for larger version

Name:	220320TouchpadFAILED.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	661564
          Any New wonderful suggestions, beside the fact I've now got to try and reinstall Linux on a PC that has problems loading. took 6 hrs last time.
          Not a Happy Anti-Covid Protester

Comment

I've found the source of comment #66 and there is a lot of comments, mainly back and forth talk. There is a {fix} at the top, that well takes me to some more talking email mail page. It really doesn't say where to find a fix.
            Can anyone make sense of this "yabbering" cause it's driving me nuts trying to read through it all. (not to mention the head I get when things go wrong out of frustrution [& Autism])

Comment

FrUitCakeD Again !!!!! Laptop fully locked up. Must remove back plat and battery to clear.
              just an observcation

Do it as root: yep Okay if yay sa so
              $ sudo su # apt update and upgrade? Everytime I see an update, it's followed by an upgrade.
              # apt install acpidumpiasl cpio
              # cd /tmp
              # acpidump -b YEAH Unknown cmd
              # iasl -d dsdt.dat

Edit /tmp/dsdt.dsl:
              HANG ON...... dsdl.dat and now edit (create in my case) dsdt.dsl (is that with or without the colon at the end??
              just being picky
              Last edited by CharlieDaves; Mar 20, 2022, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Just found this on github.
                https://github.com/torvalds/linux/tr...er/drivers/hid
                So... Ummmm. Can I download or link to it in the repository or something. I know I've seen that somewhere before, but like I would remember anything more than last week

Comment

Just found this on github.
                  https://github.com/torvalds/linux/tr...er/drivers/hid
                  So... Ummmm. Can I download or link to it in the repository or something. I know I've seen that somewhere before, but like I would remember anything more than last week
                  That link is to code that was submitted to Torvolds for merging into the kernel. It's not for users to download and compile.

The link I posted for you isn't a listing of verbatim commands, as you seem to have taken for them.

The Linux kernel, and most distros, have a sliding "Window of opportunity". As new computers reach the market they require new drivers, which are added to the distro ISO's. However, there is only so much room available in an ISO, usually about 4GB. So, room has to be made by dropping support for the oldest and/or least used hardware. That happened to my wife's Acer Aspire 10" D524a 32bit notebook computer, which she got in 2010. When Kubuntu dropped 32 bit support I switched it to a very light weight distro designed to support old 32bit hardware. It was so slow and ran so differently (too much terminal work needed) from Kubuntu that she stopped using it altogether about 3 years ago.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

That link is to code that was submitted to Torvolds for merging into the kernel. It's not for users to download and compile.
                    --Very cool. Wasn't Aware Mr Torvolds was still 'tweaking' has creation

The link I posted for you isn't a listing of verbatim commands, as you seem to have taken for them.
                    -- I was following the commands as they appeared, and created (copy & past into gedit & save) the other bits.. PS I felt very nervous when I noticed the 'GRUB' command.

The Linux kernel, and most distros, have a sliding "Window of opportunity". As new computers reach the market they require new drivers, which are added to the distro ISO's. However, there is only so much room available in an ISO, usually about 4GB. So, room has to be made by dropping support for the oldest and/or least used hardware. That happened to my wife's Acer Aspire 10" D524a 32bit notebook computer, which she got in 2010. When Kubuntu dropped 32 bit support I switched it to a very light weight distro designed to support old 32bit hardware. It was so slow and ran so differently (too much terminal work needed) from Kubuntu that she stopped using it altogether about 3 years ago.
                    --Yes I agree with you. I believe that linux in general should stop support for older models in terms of "easy to find". I saw last year something for a 486pc. That made me laugh. I know the story of someone having the kernel on a wrist watch from back in the 90's. Some older people like to play with their first PC (if in working condition) and Linux is a good idea. If I had a close neighbour/friend like this, I would blow the dust of the Pentium 4 I have lying around, and just spend hours (with guidance) on the challenge to get Linux from commands only, up and running. Having an older model repository would be a good idea, but whom or who will make it built it and look after it

My laptop was manufactured in late 2020 to early 2021.

The earliest reports of ""Linux no touch-pad"" appear around Jan 2021.... 64bit.

Comment

So, any hardware info on the touchpad?

lspci << may or may not show any device info for this
                      xinput list << should show something related to a touchpad
                      cat /proc/bus/input/devices << this one should show something related to a touchpad. If not, this may be a tough one

Even if there is no driver loaded or available, the device and ID should be available.

Comment

Okay claydoh
                        └─$ lspci
                        00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Ice Lake-LP Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 03)
                        00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Iris Plus Graphics G1 (Ice Lake) (rev 07)
                        00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Device 8a03 (rev 03)
                        00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Ice Lake-LP USB 3.1 xHCI Host Controller (rev 30)
                        00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Ice Lake-LP DRAM Controller (rev 30)
                        00:15.0 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Ice Lake-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 30)
                        00:15.1 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Ice Lake-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #1 (rev 30)
                        00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Ice Lake-LP Management Engine (rev 30)
                        00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Ice Lake-LP SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 30)
                        00:1d.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Ice Lake-LP PCI Express Root Port #9 (rev 30)
                        00:1d.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 34b4 (rev 30)
                        00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Ice Lake-LP LPC Controller (rev 30)
                        00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Ice Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller (rev 30)
                        00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Ice Lake-LP SMBus Controller (rev 30)
                        00:1f.5 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Ice Lake-LP SPI Controller (rev 30)
                        01:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8822CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
                        06:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: SK hynix BC511

└─$ xinput list
                        ⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
                        ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
                        ⎜ ↳ Lenovo Optical USB Mouse id=9 [slave pointer (2)]
                        ⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
                        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
                        ↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
                        ↳ Video Bus id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
                        ↳ Power Button id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]
                        ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard id=12 [slave keyboard (3)]
                        ↳ Integrated Camera: Integrated C id=10 [slave keyboard (3)]
                        ↳ Ideapad extra buttons id=11 [slave keyboard (3)]

└─$ gedit /proc/bus/input/devices

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0001 Product=0001 Version=ab83
                        N: Name="AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
                        P: Phys=isa0060/serio0/input0
                        S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input0
                        U: Uniq=
                        H: Handlers=sysrq kbd leds event0
                        B: PROP=0
                        B: EV=120013
                        B: KEY=402000000 3803078f800d001 feffffdfffefffff fffffffffffffffe
                        B: MSC=10
                        B: LED=7

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0005 Version=0000
                        N: Name="Lid Switch"
                        P: Phys=PNP0C0D/button/input0
                        S: Sysfs=/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0C0D:00/input/input1
                        H: Handlers=event1
                        B: EV=21
                        B: SW=1

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0001 Version=0000
                        N: Name="Power Button"
                        P: Phys=PNP0C0C/button/input0
                        S: Sysfs=/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0C0C:00/input/input2
                        H: Handlers=kbd event2
                        B: EV=3
                        B: KEY=10000000000000 0

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0001 Version=0000
                        N: Name="Power Button"
                        P: Phys=LNXPWRBN/button/input0
                        S: Sysfs=/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input3
                        H: Handlers=kbd event3
                        B: KEY=10000000000000 0

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0006 Version=0000
                        N: Name="Video Bus"
                        P: Phys=LNXVIDEO/video/input0
                        S: Sysfs=/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0A08:00/LNXVIDEO:00/input/input4
                        H: Handlers=kbd event4
                        B: KEY=3e000b00000000 0 0 0

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=17ef Product=6019 Version=0111
                        N: Name="Lenovo Optical USB Mouse"
                        P: Phys=usb-0000:00:14.0-2/input0
                        S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-2/1-2:1.0/0003:17EF:6019.0001/input/input5
                        H: Handlers=mouse0 event5
                        B: EV=17
                        B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0
                        B: REL=903

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0000 Version=0000
                        N: Name="Ideapad extra buttons"
                        P: Phys=ideapad/input0
                        S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.0/PNP0C09:00/VPC2004:00/input/input6
                        H: Handlers=kbd event6 rfkill
                        B: EV=13
                        B: KEY=81000800100c03 4400000000300000 0 2

I: Bus=0010 Vendor=001f Product=0001 Version=0100
                        N: Name="PC Speaker"
                        P: Phys=isa0061/input0
                        S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/pcspkr/input/input7
                        H: Handlers=kbd event7
                        B: EV=40001
                        B: SND=6

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=5986 Product=1135 Version=5408
                        N: Name="Integrated Camera: Integrated C"
                        P: Phys=usb-0000:00:14.0-5/button
                        S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-5/1-5:1.0/input/input8
                        H: Handlers=kbd event8
                        B: KEY=100000 0 0 0

I: Bus=0001 Vendor=10ec Product=0230 Version=0001
                        N: Name="HDA Digital PCBeep"
                        P: Phys=card0/codec#0/beep0
                        S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3/sound/card0/input9
                        H: Handlers=kbd event9
                        B: EV=40001
                        B: SND=6

I: Bus=0000 Vendor=0000 Product=0000 Version=0000
                        N: Name="HDA Intel PCH Mic"
                        P: Phys=ALSA
                        S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3/sound/card0/input10
                        H: Handlers=event10
                        B: SW=10

N: Name="HDA Intel PCH Headphone"
                        S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3/sound/card0/input11
                        H: Handlers=event11
                        B: SW=4

N: Name="HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=3"
                        S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3/sound/card0/input12
                        H: Handlers=event12
                        B: SW=140

N: Name="HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=7"
                        S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3/sound/card0/input13
                        H: Handlers=event13

N: Name="HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=8"
                        S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3/sound/card0/input14
                        H: Handlers=event14

N: Name="HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=9"
                        S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3/sound/card0/input15
                        H: Handlers=event15

N: Name="HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=10"
                        S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3/sound/card0/input16
                        H: Handlers=event16

N: Name="HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=11"
                        S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3/sound/card0/input17
                        H: Handlers=event17

N: Name="HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=12"
                        S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3/sound/card0/input18
                        H: Handlers=event18

Comment

Notice what is missing here, unless that "optical mouse" is actually the touchapd (not likely, as the id 17EF:6019 shows up in databases as a physical mouse)
                          A very long shot, but unplug that mouse and see if there are any differences in the outputs
                          I also seem to have forgotten to have you check lsusb for anything that might be related to a pointer or touchpad.

The xinput *should* be showing similar to this, using my Lenovo convertible touchscreen Ideapad from mid 2020 (a Flex-15iil). Note the MSFT items, both of which make up the touchpad, and have ID numbers (06CB:7F28)

Code:
                          $ xinput list
                          ⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
                          ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
                          ⎜ ↳ MSFT0004:00 06CB:7F28 Mouse id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
                          ⎜ ↳ MSFT0004:00 06CB:7F28 Touchpad id=12 [slave pointer (2)]
                          ⎜ ↳ Wacom HID 51CD Pen stylus id=13 [slave pointer (2)]
                          ⎜ ↳ Wacom HID 51CD Finger touch id=14 [slave pointer (2)]
                          ⎜ ↳ Wacom HID 51CD Pen eraser id=17 [slave pointer (2)]
                          ⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
                          ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
                          ↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
                          ↳ Video Bus id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
                          ↳ Power Button id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]
                          ↳ Integrated Camera: Integrated C id=10 [slave keyboard (3)]
                          ↳ Ideapad extra buttons id=15 [slave keyboard (3)]
                          ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard id=16 [slave keyboard (3)]
                          You don't have anything related at all, which is strange.
                          Have you tried a live session of the latest iso for 20.04, 21.10, or even 22.04, or any other distro, just to see if it is not something specific to your installation?
                          Another longshot, if you haven't looked, is to try toggling the keyboard's fn keys to see if enabling/disabling the pad has any effect on the xinput info.

On a side note, it may be worth updating that old BIOS firmware.
                          https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/p...me=BIOS%2FUEFI

Comment

$ sudo su # apt update and upgrade? Everytime I see an update, it's followed by an upgrade.
                            Nope. Never "upgrade", always "full-upgrade". But that's to fully upgrade all the packages on your system. Seems like you're looking for something else.

"sudo apt update" simply updates the package lists so you can install (or fully upgrade) packages.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

[CODE]$ xinput list
                              ⎜ ↳ MSFT0004:00 06CB:7F28 Mouse id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
                              ⎜ ↳ MSFT0004:00 06CB:7F28 Touchpad id=12 [slave pointer (2)]

You don't have anything related at all, which is strange.
                              Have you tried a live session of the latest iso for 20.04, 21.10, or even 22.04, or any other distro, just to see if it is not something specific to your installation?
                              Another longshot, if you haven't looked, is to try toggling the keyboard's fn keys to see if enabling/disabling the pad has any effect on the xinput info.
                              Yes I was using the latest version downloaded early Jan 2022. 20.04.4.... I'll try a Live boot, see what happens.... & because I am bored and what to learn something new, as of yesterday I've installed Kali Linux, still same issue. No touchpad & now no wifi (yet it found and used the wifi during setup) I only have 3 usb ports, 1=mouse, 1=usb-RJ45, 1=usb stick for files

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                              On a side note, it may be worth updating that old BIOS firmware.
                              https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/p...me=BIOS%2FUEFI
                              I'll take a look about to start up this laptop... Seriously thinking of a buying an ASUS laptop next time.

Comment

Working...
                              X