This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Slow boot after data disk died and removed

For the first time upgrading to this version of Kubuntu was smooth and without any problem.

Well, except a "data" disk (where I had photos and other files), "died" more or less during the process.

This is a dual boot (WIN10) PC, and the disk is dead for WIN10 too, and disk repair software did not find it either.

So, i did disconnect it.

And everything is fine, except the boot process is soooo slow. First between BIOS and up to the grub screen, and then after I have chosen Kubuntu, mainly when the Kubuntu logo is in the middle of the screen.

At the beginning I had the same problem while booting WIN10 too, but that is gone after some reboots.

It is just annoying, but as the PC now just runs a SD disk, and no old spinning, and is reasonably fast, it is annoying.

Anyone who can help me get rid of this?

Sounds like it's attempting to mount the missing drive. If it's defined in /etc/fstab take it out.

Otherwise, simply watching the boot messages or running systemd-analyze blame may reveal the cause.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Sounds like it's attempting to mount the missing drive. If it's defined in /etc/fstab take it out.

Otherwise, simply watching the boot messages or running systemd-analyze blame may reveal the cause.
      Thank you! It's been years since I did meddle with these things, so I need some help.

The /etc/fstab is like this:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
      #
      # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
      # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
      # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
      #
      # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
      # / was on /dev/sda3 during installation
      UUID=ecade92b-80d8-4df9-b8c1-03afcba8f8e2 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
      # swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation
      UUID=de95ddd5-9f22-4071-8af2-f8693a6fb779 none swap sw 0 0
      /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

It might be the swap that is the problem?

I also see that there is a mount for floppy - but there is no floppy - should I just get rid of the last line?

Comment

Code:
        # swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation
        UUID=de95ddd5-9f22-4071-8af2-f8693a6fb779 none swap sw 0 0
        Could be an issue if this was on the removed drive

Code:
         /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
        THAT's weird for sure

In either case, you can just put a "#" at the front of each line, save, and see how it boots.

Swap isn't mandatory so not having it won't hurt, but is easy enough to add if desired.

Comment

I haven't seen a floppy entry in fstab for years!

Yes, very likely your swap was on the old drive. If you want to re-enable swap, you can create a swap file instead of a partition so you don't have to re-partition your existing drive.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you for the help!

Did # out the two lines - but nothing changed.

So I ran recovery mode, and two things seems to slow down the process. I'm not a quick reader/writer on/from screen, so at first I'll just indicate.

First:

ata 2: link slow
            ata 2: SR/ST fail

This seems to be relateed to my Microsoft keyboard, and the process is repeated a lot unitl it goes on. The keyboard (and mouse) is on a KVM switch, that works just fine with three WIN10 PCs, and one WIN 8.

Then:

Runnin/scripts/local-premount
            floppy: error 10 while reading block 10

This is repeated even more than the keyboard thing.

Comment

Looks like I found the two problems.

First - for some reason (this is a second hand PC, ex. graphical school of some sort) had the old floppy in the BIOS. It never bothered Windows, but at least this version of Kubuntu. Removing it made the process much faster.

Second - the other problem - script/local/premount seems to refer to the DVD drive/burner. I have not changed anything, but it is not that bad. Some say this is about a faulty drive - I can't find any real problem so far. I can live with it.

Comment

Working...
              X