Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unable to boot Kubuntu post Intel Storage drive installation.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MULTI BOOT] Unable to boot Kubuntu post Intel Storage drive installation.

Hello,

I hope you and your loved ones are safe and healthy.

I have a laptop with two drives - 1 SSD and 1 HDD. I am using UEFI + Secure Boot enabled.

I have installed Windows 10 professional and Kubuntu 20.04 LTS with GRUB as the boot loader.

I recently upgraded drivers on the laptop from Microsoft Windows and

installed an Intel Storage management Driver, after which I cannot
    successfully boot Kubuntu.

Even when I set Ubuntu as the primary boot, I get the following errors, and it goes into recovery mode:

Here are the UEFI (BIOS) settings:

Here are the boot options I see:

When I select Ubuntu, this is the post-boot safe mode I get:

1. I do not have any data on my installation as I mount an NFS folder and store all my data there. I can access the NFS without Kubuntu since it is on a NAS.

2. Can I recover the installation, or do I install a new instance using current windows, wiping the previous install and reinstalling Kubuntu?

Which drive has Kubuntu? The Intel Rapid Store Technology (RST) does not support Linux at all, so it needs to be set to AHCI

IF Windows won't boot after changing this (depends on which drive it is on, I think), you will need to set it back to Rapid Store, and fix windows first, then change to AHCI

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post446013

Comment

Hello thank you very much for your reply.

Both the OS are installed on the SSD. so the nvme.

I did select AHCI and I got a warning that OS may not boot if I change that setting in the BIOS. Is this irreversible? As in if I select AHCI and windows does not boot can I still reverse to Intel and boot the system or the install will be lost?

Comment

See the link above, it goes to a post here on how to fix it, with a link to very good instructions. Nothing will be lost at all.

Boot to Windows in Rapid Store mode, then follow the instructions in the link. Kubuntu should boot just fine after .

Comment

On the windows side, I had to install the "generic" driver for storage devices. This effectively disables the RST on the Windows side. Then I rebooted into BIOS and set the drive to AHCI mode and now both Kubuntu and Windows can boot from the same drive.

IMO, enabling RST one a single drive system is another way to make Linux "not work" - a corporate scheme to force you to use Windows garbage.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X