X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partition dump error on install

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to install into a partition on a dual boot setup with Win 7 in the other partition. Im using an SSD, not sure if that is relevanvt.And the btrfs file system (might have misspelled that!)
    Im getting to the Select Your Location part of the install where you see the world map and then I get an error pop-up with:

Can't Open /va/log/partition_dump

Which I cant get past. If I click on 'OK' it just repeats. It's failing at the 50% point on the progress bar.

Does anyone have any pointers on what to try? And, not being an expert with Linux in any way, should I play safe and go for the more standard ext4 files system? Im anxious to have the least problems or technical challenges should I say, going forward, as possible!

Thanks very much for any tips or ideas!

All the best

SB

Sounds like a bad ISO or burn. I would start by re-downloading the install ISO, verifying it via checksum, then redo your USB stick with the verified ISO and then verifying the USB stick also.

Please Read Me

Comment

I assume you're using Window to make the USB stick. You might try a different tool like Etcher. It hasn't failed me yet.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks very much for the ideas. I am using Etcher and also had verified the iso file. So all seems ok there.

Is there a way to verify the USB after burning the iso onto it? I wasn't aware of that. Perhaps that is the problem, cheap Chinese one from Wish!

Comment

There's a couple ways, I think there's a utility called isoinfo or you can try this: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...-a-thumb-drive
          If you used Etcher you're probably OK - it does a check after the burn.

It's an odd enough error message that google failed to find anyone else reporting it. I've certainly never seen that one.

I doubt the file system makes a difference, but you never know. As a long time btrfs user, I've never had it fail to install. You can always try EXT4 and see if you get the same results.

Are you booting and then going right to Installation or doing "Try Kubuntu" first? Personally, I boot to "Try Kubuntu" first so you can find out right away if your basic hardware is supported, like wifi, etc. Then I partition the target drive manually and preformat the partitions. This is a way of finding out if things are OK. Then you can click on the "Install..." desktop icon and select "Manual Partitioning" (or whatever it says. Some distros it says "Something else" meaning something other than a Guided or Full Disk installation) and set your partitions and mount points. This might reveal the issue since the error message refers to partitions.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for the help and suggestions. We got there in the end. Seems it was a bios setting, UEFI perhaps, but not 100% sure of that, just kept hacking until it worked, you know hw it is!

Went with the bfrs format after all. After install we have 2 partitions, one is 732mb and has /efi /grub / lost+found folders in there along with perhaps a dozen files. Then another large partition taking up the rest of the drive. Does that seem right?

Comment

Glad you got it worked out. What is the other partition format and how large?

You can use KDE Partition Manager from the Utilities menu to find out what type is is,. Or open Konsole and type: lsblk

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by SumBloke View Post
                ... bfrs ... another large partition taking up the rest of the drive.
                Yes, that's good; one of the strong points of using btrfs is one doesn't have to juggle partitions.
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                X