This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Location of system tray icons?

I've asked this in other threads, but it's gotten buried by other stuff! Can someone please point me to the current location of the icons in the system tray? I'm referring to icons for volume, battery, Bluetooth, network, KDE Connect, etc., the icons just to the left of the clock. I find the black-and-white default icons rather...unpleasant...and want to replace them with pretty ones.

Back in the olden days, they were stored in /usr/share/kde4/apps/desktoptheme/default/icons/ and simply copying replacement icons into that directory solved the problem. I've tried placing my icons in /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme/default/icons/ -- which I assumed was the new location -- and that didn't work. It was suggested that I make use of my $HOME/.local/share/icons/ -- but I don't see how. I mean, the icons that appear in my tray now are not located there, so...I don't know!

FWIW, the icons I see in my tray are not part of any theme or window decoration that I've chosen, so I don't know where they're being pulled in from.

I just want pretty icons in my tray. Please, point the way!

UPDATE: Thanks to @claydoh pointing me in the right direction, I've now got it!

For others who may be interested:

- find icons you want to use, for example by going to /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme and exploring its themes' "icons" directories, e.g., /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme/oxygen/icons
    - create a /home/<username>/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/default/icons directory
    - copy your desired icons into it
    - restart your session
    - you're done!
    Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Nov 21, 2020, 03:25 PM.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

It's theme-related, as far as I know, but looking in /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids, I see the results of the theme I'm using now. So I don't think it's a simple matter of copy/paste. I'm pretty sure it's a matter of working the themes process to get the results.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Yes, they seem to be part of the Style you're using iin System Settings.> Appearance > Plasma Style

/home/username/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/

Perhaps?
      Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
        Yes, they seem to be part of the Style you're using iin System Settings.> Appearance > Plasma Style

/home/username/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/

Perhaps?
        Nope, at least not in my case. There is no ~/.local/share/plasma directory.
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
          It's theme-related, as far as I know, but looking in /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids, I see the results of the theme I'm using now. So I don't think it's a simple matter of copy/paste. I'm pretty sure it's a matter of working the themes process to get the results.
          Okay...we're on to something! Looking in /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids with Dolphin, I do indeed see some of my icons. Although they display as if they're images, they're actually 'desktop configuration files' called whatever.desktop. So, you're right, copying my desired icons to their respective directories in /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids probably won't work.

Look, guys, this is *LINUX*! We're supposed to be able to control every aspect of our computers. We shouldn't have to live with ugly b&w icons in our trays! There's got to be a way to make them pretty...short of designing a theme myself, that is. That's waaaaaaay beyond the scope of what I'm capable of now. So from an end-user standpoint, but an end-user who used to be a *nix system administrator and programmer, and knows their way around a command line and directory structure, is there a way? I hope?

PS I know this is a first-world problem. I also know I can live with ugly icons. The world won't end if this can't be resolved. But as an ardent Linux proselytizer, who routinely preaches its total freedom and control, I feel compelled to figure it out.

Comment

You don't have a .local directory because you have not customized themes and styles stuff. Welcome to plasma customizing
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Other custom theme related directories include:

~/.local/share/aurorae/themes/

~/.local/share/backgrounds/

~/.local/share/icons/
              Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                You don't have a .local directory because you have not customized themes and styles stuff.
                No, i have a $HOME/.local directory--I said there was no ~/.local/share/plasma directory.

Welcome to plasma customizing
                Oh dear... You don't know me very well! I customize THE HELL out of my computers. The ONLY reason I have yet to do so on THIS laptop is because of the problems I've copiously posted about. Now that it's finally running well and it looks like the issues are resolved, I am gradually adding in one thing at a time, so I can keep track of what [if anything] breaks it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
                  Other custom theme related directories include:

~/.local/share/aurorae/themes/

~/.local/share/backgrounds/

~/.local/share/icons/
                  Right, but as noted up above, "It was suggested that I make use of my $HOME/.local/share/icons/ -- but I don't see how. I mean, the icons that appear in my tray now are not located there..." There is NOTHING in my $HOME/.local/share/icons/ except one subdirectory containing the icon set I use [which I've carried with me for decades, because it's so pretty! ].

Comment

If I get a moment Ill dig up stuff about plasma styles, which is where systray icons are set.
                    The quick summary is copying the stock style folder (either the one labeled 'default' or 'breeze') from /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme/ to ~/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/ (create this if needed), renaming the folder to something unique and editing the .desktop file to match, basically creating a new theme. In this folder is where you replace the icons, and test.
                    Or copying any third party style one has installed in ~/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/, and modding that if one is 'close'

icons need to be scalable .svg afaik.
                    One can trawl through different plasma styles and find some that use colorful icons, and borrow them.

we seem to be digging far too deep into the system for what is not a terribly difficult task

Comment

Well I can't find what I was looking for, yet, but the basic gist is covered on this techbase article
                      https://techbase.kde.org/Development.../Plasma5/Theme, wich is more focused on the actual theme elements, not icons, but the process to get started is identical, plus tips on refreshing

It does suck that this stuiff is hard to find, it has not really changed much at all since the early KDE4 days a decade ago. The process is how most of the Plasma styles in the store have been copied/modded/created since then.

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                        Right, but as noted up above, "It was suggested that I make use of my $HOME/.local/share/icons/ -- but I don't see how. I mean, the icons that appear in my tray now are not located there..." There is NOTHING in my $HOME/.local/share/icons/ except one subdirectory containing the icon set I use [which I've carried with me for decades, because it's so pretty! ].
                        That has zero to do with systray icons at all. As seen above, those are set in the plasma style being used.
                        You won't have that dir if you have not installed any third party icon themes, or created the dirs yourself. Anything in ~/.local/share/ takes precedence over /usr/share, if it exists, for many to most all things.

Comment

Here is a quickie example. I copied the 'default' folder from /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme/ and copied to the corresponding place in ~/.local/share
                          (this may be different in Kubuntu, which uses a custom style as 'default', for me the 'defualt' is the stock white-grey KDE breeze style)
                          I named the folder 'testy', edited the .desktop file inside it to match the name. I copied the icons folder from a theme called Light Warp , and used that to replace the icon folder in the Testy folder

Stock theme
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201121_150102.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	644931

Slightly colorful systray icons stolen from a different theme

Name:	Screenshot_20201121_150144.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	644932

Mere moments to do.

I am done being googlebot for the day

peaceout

Comment

I am done being googlebot for the day
                            You're more than entitled to a nice long rest! Thanks for your help. I'm going to delve in to the info you've provided and see what I can come up with.

Comment

You put me on the right path, @claydoh! I tweaked what you did and look at my new [temporary] tray icons:

Name:	tmp_icons.png
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	644933

For others who may be interested:

- find icons you want to use, for example by going to /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme and exploring its themes' "icons" directories, e.g., /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme/oxygen/icons
                              - create a /home/<username>/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/default/icons directory
                              - copy your desired icons into it
                              - restart your session
                              - you're done!

Thank you, @claydoh! I'm marking this sucker solved...

Comment

Working...
                              X